ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2008, 02:04 AM   #496
Zen Slug
Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Jeep
I forget this FF's name, but he sure had a nasty laceration to his knee. I'm sure the pic will surface soon.

i believe that's don (aka scruffy). i hope he's going to be okay.
Zen Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:31 AM   #497
grinder96
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,308
I think these pictures were created in a hollywood basement!

Most of them have time stamps of dates that haven't happened yet!
grinder96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:44 AM   #498
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaRider650
Kobe wanted to thank everybody for the snacks.

The riding – food – fireside chats – and camaraderie was awesome! I wanted to thank Danny for helping me with my bike, after he blew my carb out – it ran like a champ. And I sure needed it for Sundays ride with Jeff and Roger. Search KM for “Have you ever gone on a ride you didn’t think you’d live through” from Jeff in RC. I would sure like to hear Jeff and Roger’s version of the ride – but here is mine.
Sunday morning we said our goodbyes and headed out to the lower part of the map toward Schaaffer Meadow to Rincon Fault. The ride was one of the most scenic rides I have ever been on. There were trails through the trees that opened up to meadows, across small streams, into fields of grass. We were all smiles. It was heaven on earth. We were all having a great time and just happy to be there. Then we came upon Cedar Canyon which Jeff in RC called “the hill of doom.” We started down Cedar Canyon when we soon realized there was no turning back. It was a steep, rocky, narrow, single track, running down the side of a cliff. We must have dropped 4000 feet in about two miles. Then we came upon Rincon Fault and the worst was still ahead of us. Rincon Fault is a series of hills that go on for about five miles, wait let me say that again – FIVE MILES. Each hill is a sandy, rocky, series of steep up hills and descents. Each one tough in its own way. Hill after hill, it was like riding through Death Valley in the summer time. Our bikes were overheating, we were running low on water and we didn’t know when it was going to end. Finally at the top of one of these hills, I could see the paved road ahead and I knew the end was near. This is truly a black diamond trail for the most advanced riders. Looking back on it now, its probably one of the best rides I have ever been on.
Thanks Jeff and Roger for a great ride – let’s do it again soon.

I'll try to post pics soon..... Jerry & Kobe dog
LOVE TO RIDE CEDAR AND RINCON ,IWAS THE FIRST RIDER FIND CEDAR AFTER YEARS O NO USE 6 YEARS AGO ,AND WITH A FRIEND O MINE WE ADOPTED RINCON TRAIL ,YOU CAN SEE THE SIGN WERE THE TRAIL CROSS SHERMAN PASS RD ,I GOING TO RIDE THE 690 THERE THE FIRST WEEKEND O OCTOBER
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:40 PM   #499
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,239
if jim's 950 can make it, i think i can

this fallen tree prevented us from getting through

luke's got bogged down in the soft dirt, only way out is to push it up the hill

noel heard our motors and found us, led us to the rest of the guys

wtf...one of them never runs out of a cold one.......

really a beautiful place and definitely we have to see it again next year or maybe sooner.....klammer and purelick encountered a bear here many years ago...

we were getting tired and the 5 of us decided to take the easy route, while the dr, dg, klamr, and plick continued on the single track.

on the last minute m1jeep decided to do the single track "solo"...which he ended up in deep shit , this may have been the last picture of him

rich can tell us his little adventure
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:43 PM   #500
Klammer
Old and Grumpy

Oddometer: 2,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerat
time for some trail carnage,the rocks finally claimed one but our fearless leader carried on
I was chasing the two smoke ghost rider, looked like a good short cut. Guess my skills need a little sharpening.

The Klammer (Rich)
Klammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #501
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,313
Bluhduh

the sigle track group encountered downed trees aswell tight squeeze

dunerat screwed with this post 01-12-2009 at 11:05 AM
dunerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:46 PM   #502
RiverRat
Endless Chores

Oddometer: 3,836
Looks like a great ride! The single track pic look really tough. I can't believe spafixer was on those trails with the huge 950

Scruffster will be ok. He is taking a little time off and plans to be riding again in OCT

RiverRat screwed with this post 09-09-2008 at 11:53 PM
RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:52 PM   #503
M1Jeep OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,915
Eek Look out below!

Thanks for the introductory pic Joel...that's pretty funny how you got that shot and considering what happened later on...

...as Noel said, there were two groups, I initially went with the fireroad group, but stopped about a 1/2 mile into the departure ride, pulled over and told Bob, "I'm going to go back to the Beach trailhead across from where we took our break."...

...The trail was gorgeous. Tight woods riding with trees cut in the middle to allow passage.

This trail opens up along the edge for a brief peek of a beautiful meadow (Beach Meadow)...

This trail was simply beeeeauuuutiful!

KaPow!

Along this trail I encountered mostly smooth, easy going singletrack. Once I was at the end of the Beach Trail (34E01) it crossed a dirt road and on the other side was the Albanita Trail (35E06). I looked back at the Beach Trail signage and was surprised to notice that it was a black diamond trail. I thought to myself that it wasn't too bad. One large rocky section and the rest wasn't too scary. The Albanita trail across from me had an intermediate difficulty designation, was a section of about a 1/3 of a mile and it would run back into this same dirt road. So I thought what the hell...let's do this mang! The trail began by dropping down from the pavement into the forest flats. After a minute or two there was a small dried up stream with a brief climb up and out. The trail made a right turn. Here's a pic at this particular point looking at the trail directly behind me...

Right after this pic, I packed my camera back into its case and continued forward, at least thats what I inteded to do. I hit a large rock that was laid across the trail, DR650 skid plate bottomed-out on the left-edge and bounced my ass off the bike and over the edge of the trail. I rolled down about 10 feet, breaking through branches and bouncing over rocks. I stopped with the back of my helmet smacking a rock. The bike had shut-off and I rushed over to turn the fuel petcock off...

I thought to myself, "Damn, I'm going to miss the F-ing carne asada taco dinner! This shit can't be happening to me, not now!" I tried turning the bike upright, but it slid down about 5 feet more and was just too damn heavy for it to budge. I heard a vehicle pass on the road above me and figured I was pretty close to the end of the trail so I decided to go for a walk to see exactly how far I was from the dirt road. As I got closer to the dirt road, I heard a bike coming my way and was surprised to find out it was Jeff, Roger, and Jerry! "Am I glad to see you guys!"

We man-handled my DR650 on up the hill pretty much in no time! Thanks again Jeff, Roger, and Jerry for saving my sawwy ass!

We ended up sticking together and heading back to camp for some carne asada tacos! Moral of this story is to never go out alone on singletrack. There is little room for error and a higher chance of injury! "DUH!"

I'm grateful it all worked out and I didn't have to spend the night with the bears. It was one heck of an exciting way to end a sweet weekend of riding!

M1Jeep screwed with this post 09-10-2008 at 12:03 AM
M1Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:54 PM   #504
M1Jeep OP
Beastly Adventurer

Aw man! Thanks for pointing that out. I guess I programmed the wrong date when I dropped in new batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder96
I think these pictures were created in a hollywood basement!

Most of them have time stamps of dates that haven't happened yet!
Old 09-09-2008, 11:55 PM   #505
M1Jeep OP
Beastly Adventurer

That's good to hear. Thanks for the update on Scruffy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat
Looks like a great ride! The single track pic look really tough. I can't believe spafixer was on those trails with the huge 950

Scruffster will be ok. He is taking a little time off and plans to be riding again in OCT

Old 09-10-2008, 12:37 AM   #506
Zen Slug
Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,947
Quote:
That's good to hear. Thanks for the update on Scruffy.
+1

Zen Slug's Rides

Join the ADV TooL PooL!
Zen Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:09 AM   #507
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:

Moral of this story is to never go out alone on singletrack. "DUH!"

Rich, you could also say it this way........

"Moral of this story is to take a small bike, not a heavy DR650, on single track. "DUH"

Those bastids on mx bikes definitely had a blast!

No worry getting stuck, while we were at camp and worried about your absence, we were spinning the bottle to get a crew to do a S & R....
Old 09-10-2008, 11:11 AM   #508
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,313
Question

i think i speak for all of us..WTF

dunerat screwed with this post 01-12-2009 at 11:05 AM
dunerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:52 AM   #509
M1Jeep OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sh*t happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerat
i think i speak for all of us..WTF
Old 09-10-2008, 01:32 PM   #510
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopascat
Yes, indeed, the fabled nine mile canyon, destroyer of brakes & transmissions, appears to have claimed another victim, my truck no longer seems willng to reverse

Cathy, sorry to hear about your tranny , but glad you made it home . Time to get a Super Duty Power Stroke 350!

On my way home, I took Sherman Pass, that's just as bad, all downhill and lots of curves...spent most on 2nd gear. It was a slow 20 to 30 mph and there wasn't even anyone if front of me. The 200 mile drive home took me 4.5 hours, excluding lunch stop.

If I was on a bike, the Sherman Pass is the way to get up there and down, my driving time will be surely less.