User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2008, 10:52 AM   #76
Klasjm
R100gs

Oddometer: 2,246
Talking Trans Wat

Thanks Chad for putting this great route together. I hope the Riders in Illinois or Iowa have a connecting trail someday!

See more photos HERE:
Klasjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #77
Rasbutan
Unnormal

Oddometer: 2,730
Maybe I missed it, but did the route get posted?
Rasbutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:18 PM   #78
WJL75
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I got the file directly from Chad.

The following is from his website:

http://www.lonewolfexpeditions.com/twat.html

"With the help of a couple great GPS experts, the file is now complete and available. Please
email me at chad@lonewolfexpeditions.com and ask for the TWT file. The GPS file will be
free, although paypal donations would be accepted. I have 3 years of exploring and countless
hours of mapping tied up in this little ride and although I do it all for fun, it has still cost me
quite a bit."
WJL75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:12 AM   #79
Klasjm
R100gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr
Where's that diner at?

The Diner is at Delta Wisconsin, which is about 30 miles southwest of Ashland. The hours of operation are 8AM to 3 PM. The Twt rides goes right by there. Delta has no gas. Here is their website: http://www.deltadiner.com/history.html

Chad has you routed out in the middle of nowhere. Best idea would be to look at the file and route it out at home on a paper map. I carried my Jet Boil and coffee. Glad I did.

From Sparta north it seemed like 95 per cent gravel. The ATV trails were a hoot.

From Sparta south it seemed like 70 per cent gravel. Some very nice roads near the Mississippi River. One section just north of Sparta was all technical sugar sand. Chad likes it with his DR, my GS's front wheel was like a ski and I just powered on in first gear.

Above: Old church at Thorp Wisconsin,
Below: my favorite part of the whole ride, National Forest winter trail south of Perkinstown, Wisconsin

Perkinstown old school house

Old 08-06-2008, 07:14 AM   #80
Klasjm
R100gs

I seen much wildlife including eagle, fox, cranes and of course deer.

Like in most areas of the country, snowmobiles, ATV and and motorcycles are all governed under different laws as which trails you can run. It is governed by trail funds, lobbies, gas tax registration fees and so forth. ATV /snowmobile trails are trails and ATV/ snowmobile routes are feeder roads that route the vehicles from one trail to another or to the local town. I only seen about a dozen ATV the whole trip until the weekend at Black River Falls which I seen a few groups.

If you note the line on my GPS and the black icon of where I am located, you will know why you should check out the route on your Wisconsin Gazetteer. Like I said, I know very little about my GPS (which was a street version and not a trail version). My GPS got me where I wanted to go, but their was some errors in the route that need to be recorded and corrected. So bring a paper and note down the typos. I did some of my nice riding while I was lost. The long Rail Road bridge was not on my route but I found it on one of my many times I was lost. Stockfarm Bridge located on the banks of the Chippewa River about 11 miles southwest of Glidden. Nice NF campground nearby.

http://www.fs.fed /rec/camping/index.html

http://www.watva.org

http://www.fs.fed.us/nf/rec/camping/map

I rode the route on a twenty year old GS equipped with TKC80 tires, and I had no problems. The ride would of been an issue for me with my heavy R1150GS. I rode the route in dry weather which helps out on the mud area, but does not help in the sand boxes.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:39 AM   #81
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 19,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klasjm
If you note the line on my GPS and the black icon of where I am located, you will know why you should check out the route on your Wisconsin Gazetteer. Like I said, I know very little about my GPS (which was a street version and not a trail version). My GPS got me where I wanted to go, but their was some errors in the route that need to be recorded and corrected. So bring a paper and note down the typos. I did some of my nice riding while I was lost. The long Rail Road bridge was not on my route but I found it on one of my many times I was lost. Stockfarm Bridge located on the banks of the Chippewa River about 11 miles southwest of Glidden. Nice NF campground nearby.
The GPS file is solid. Both the trackline and the route match. However if you are using the route file and autorouting software and you choose to reroute along the way, the software will want to route you off of some short "cross country" sections to nearby roads in a coule of spots. The trackline is preferred for those that can use it. Submitting specific feedback about any questionable areas on the route is a great idea though - helps to make the file as good as it can be.
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:16 PM   #82
ajayhawkfan
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,398
Talking

I'm packed and ready to go. I'm leaving tomorrow morning and riding from KC to Dubuque, Iowa to meet my brother in law. On Thrusday the two of us we be starting the Trail. I can't wait!

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:53 PM   #83
ajayhawkfan
Rock Chalk

This trip on the TWAT has been wonderful. The route has been increadible so far!!

Late this afternoon we hit SAND. That has been my first experiance in sand with my pig. So far, I have kept the rubber down.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:30 PM   #84
kleinergti1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
i am also planning on riding from dubuque on the 14th as well with 5 others as well.
kleinergti1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:33 PM   #85
ajayhawkfan
Rock Chalk

The sand at the ATV trails around Black River Falls were only a warm up for the sand. There is more sand in Bayfield County then all the beaches of the West Coast! The last 30 miles of sand was the toughest for me and my pig however we made it!

Thanks for putting together such a great route!

It was 560 miles and took 2.5 days.

Here is a picture of me at the end of the trail.

Pete along the trail. KLR 650

Old 08-26-2008, 02:55 PM   #86
kleinergti1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
we just returned from the trail yesterday. We left thursday afternoon. In all according to the gps we traveled 1400 some miles from dubuque. Great ride and also my first ever bike ride of more then a couple hundred miles.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:34 PM   #87
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinergti1
we just returned from the trail yesterday. We left thursday afternoon. In all according to the gps we traveled 1400 some miles from dubuque. Great ride and also my first ever bike ride of more then a couple hundred miles.
Its great to see the Ol' Twat is getting some use!

I'm not sure how many have done the route now, but its starting to add up now. Last night after work, I saw a KLR at the local Super 8 and it turned out to be kunadad, he was riding it solo.
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:31 PM   #88
Klasjm
R100gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinergti1
How bout some stories folks. Where did you camp or hotel. What and where did you eat? Where did you gas up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayhawkfan
The sand at the ATV trails around Black River Falls were only a warm up for the sand. There is more sand in Bayfield County then all the beaches of the West Coast!

Here is a picture of me at the end of the trail.

More photos if you have them.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:25 PM   #89
Saltydog86
village idiot

Oddometer: 1,027
Can this be done on a Ulysses with avon distanzias? Or do I have to be the dummy to take his Buell on the trail to find out....?
Saltydog86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:47 PM   #90
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog86
Can this be done on a Ulysses with avon distanzias? Or do I have to be the dummy to take his Buell on the trail to find out....?
I'm thinking about 70% of the route would be great for your setup, but there are some sections.....

I've seen some people handle Ulysses in pretty rough terrain with street tires, so it is possible. Plus, the route I made is just a suggestion, almost all the roads are fun and you can make your own ride out of it.
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote