Thanks for sharing pics & experience

So nice bike and work
Caddy82rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:17 AM   #32
odbuffalo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Pommie, awesome bike, beautiful.

Mind me asking about the tank? Is it a one off or ??

Thanks.
odbuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:19 PM   #33
boxertricks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
If it looks right it probably is right ! And your bike looks about as right as it gets.What a great job you've made of it. I was wondering if you raced it the UK ?
boxertricks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:44 PM   #34
pommie john OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by odbuffalo
Pommie, awesome bike, beautiful.

Mind me asking about the tank? Is it a one off or ??

Thanks.
Yes it's a one off. made by John Pearson in the UK.
pommie john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:47 PM   #35
pommie john OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxertricks
If it looks right it probably is right ! And your bike looks about as right as it gets.What a great job you've made of it. I was wondering if you raced it the UK ?
Yes I built it in the mid 90s when I was living in London. I raced with the CRMC in those days until I came to Australia in 1999, so you may have seen it around the circuits. I also raced it at Chimay and Jehonneville in Belgium.

The engine work was done by Cray Engineering in Faversham, Kent.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:28 PM   #36
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,950
Thumb nice

...inspiring....I have my 77 RS frame hanging in the garage...needs some straightening.
Are those stock forks but just turned down or what? Ceriani's?

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:58 PM   #37
pommie john OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog
...inspiring....I have my 77 RS frame hanging in the garage...needs some straightening.
Are those stock forks but just turned down or what? Ceriani's?
Marzocchis.
Apparently Cerianis have the calliper mounting a bit different, otherwise they're pretty much the same.
I have cartridge emulators in them which so far haven't made much difference, but I'm off for a test session next week and I'l be playing around with the damping to see if I can improve it.

I got the frame cheap from a BM repairer because it had accident damage. It measured up on the jig with 1/2 a degree less rake than it should have, so I thought it might turn quicker. ( Did I mention it was cheap?)
Old 08-27-2008, 03:53 PM   #38
pommie john OP
Beastly Adventurer

I went to the track yesterday and put some miles on the new engine. The clutch was slipping! No amount of adjusting would fix it. The ONLY thing I didn't replace in the rebuild was the clutch plate. It measured up OK but it had got a bit of oil on it from the leaking rear seal, I thought that some brake cleaner would do the trick, but I was wrong. The mechanic at the local shop tells me that once there's been some oil on the plate, they will never work again no matter how much you clean them.
Looks like the tranny has to come off again.
On the plus side, it handles miles better. The braced frame may have helped and the fact that the steering head bearings are no longer loose in the frame.
The front deals with bumps better now I've backed off the compression damping on the emulators.

A new clutch plate, and I'm ready for the first race.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:00 PM   #39
Max Headroom
lost in the '70s

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommie john
I went to the track yesterday and put some miles on the new engine. The clutch was slipping! No amount of adjusting would fix it. The ONLY thing I didn't replace in the rebuild was the clutch plate. It measured up OK but it had got a bit of oil on it from the leaking rear seal, I thought that some brake cleaner would do the trick, but I was wrong. The mechanic at the local shop tells me that once there's been some oil on the plate, they will never work again no matter how much you clean them.
Looks like the tranny has to come off again.
On the plus side, it handles miles better. The braced frame may have helped and the fact that the steering head bearings are no longer loose in the frame.
The front deals with bumps better now I've backed off the compression damping on the emulators.

A new clutch plate, and I'm ready for the first race.
Hi John, the penny has just dropped. As I recall, you had your bike at Pukekohe several years ago. I have a copy of the magazine article you mentioned detailing the build history.

I acquired an ex-race bike a few years ago, that had been run at BEARS events here twenty years ago. A subsequent owner stripped the bike for some unknown reason and sold it in bits, and the next owner sold the Krauser heads.

I have since tracked down the Krauser heads, and am about to pick them up in the next few weeks. The plan is to piece the bike together in the next year or two, but i don't think there are any race categories it would be competitive any more so it would be just a trackday toy.

i have also had email contact with the guy who initially built and raced the bike, and he sent me a few period photos (one with and one without the Krauser heads) taken circa 1991:

Max Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:18 PM   #40
pommie john OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom
Hi John, the penny has just dropped. As I recall, you had your bike at Pukekohe several years ago. I have a copy of the magazine article you mentioned detailing the build history.

I acquired an ex-race bike a few years ago, that had been run at BEARS events here twenty years ago. A subsequent owner stripped the bike for some unknown reason and sold it in bits, and the next owner sold the Krauser heads.

That's right I was at Pukekohe in 2001. I'd love to came back , it's a great circuit. I still can't believe they let us ride the race bikes into town to show them off to the locals.

Yours is a nice looking bike and 4 valve heads will be a great bonus. I wish I could run them on mine, but they weren't made in 1972 as our rules demand.
Are you going to start a thread on the build? I'd be interested to see the progress.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:13 PM   #41
Max Headroom
lost in the '70s

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommie john
That's right I was at Pukekohe in 2001. I'd love to came back , it's a great circuit. I still can't believe they let us ride the race bikes into town to show them off to the locals. Yours is a nice looking bike and 4 valve heads will be a great bonus. I wish I could run them on mine, but they weren't made in 1972 as our rules demand. Are you going to start a thread on the build? I'd be interested to see the progress.
Hope you have plenty of patience. I've got two bike projects and a car project (can i mention the C-word on a bike forum?) in the queue ahead of the racebike at the moment!

Meanwhile, it looks like the classic bike racing will be shifting from Pukekohe to a fantastic new circuit about 30km further south called Hampton Downs. It's currently under construction, and expected to be useable by early next year.
Max Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:17 PM   #42
pommie john OP
Beastly Adventurer

Did I mention where the first race after the rebuild is going to be?

Support race at the Aussie Moto GP!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-27-2008, 11:24 PM   #43
Shmerel

Oddometer: 11,152
simply gorgeous

what levers, controls and bars have you got there?
Shmerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:52 PM   #44
pommie john OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmerel
what levers, controls and bars have you got there?
The clutch lever is /5, I haven't found any aftermarket levers that have enough travel for a BMW clutch.
The front brake is Brembo so it's a Brembo PF14 master cylinder.
The throttle is a twin pull from a Yamaha TZ 250/350. It's a fast action so it's a bit more than 90 degrees of movement to open the 40mm carbs. ( they ain't cheap)
Foot controls are specials made by P&M motorcycles for their race bikes. ( P&M made frames for endurance racers in the 70s)

The bars are just clip ons from a mail order place. Nothing special.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:25 PM   #45
pommie john OP
Beastly Adventurer

I just remembered I said I'd report back on any improvements the frame bracing had made.

Well, the result is that the handling has been totally transformed.
The catch is, I found quite a few problems that could have all added up to some poor handling.

1) The steering head bearing top race was loose in the frame! It just fell out when I put a drift up against it , before I even tapped it with a hammer. That can't have helped.

2) One rear shock had a bit of a leak, but it seemed to be damping OK. I replaced the Koni dial-a-rides with some older but rebuilt Koni racing shocks.

3) I reduced the compression damping on the race tech emulators. I did this after the first test session so I know that this change alone made a really big difference to the way the front end soaks up ripples. It;s miles better. I went from three turns of damping ( as set by the supplier) to one turn.

It has now almost totally lost that weaving hinged in the middle feeling when applying power out of fast turns. I could hold it wide open exiting turn 12 at Phillip Island whereas before I had to wait until I was completely upright before nailing it.
It's great.

First two races were a bit wet. Two classes were mixed in the one race, the younger (up to 1980) bikes had wet tyres, we (up to 1972) had to use road tyres. I was first in class although they didn't separate us in the results. That's an 1100 Honda passing me.

The next day was dry, but we were last race of the day, most of the crowd had disappeared to the bar. We thought we'd have a few more spectators at a Moto GP race.

Trying to catch a Ducati in the last race of the weekend. Nearly caught him but the race was red flagged when a big Honda threw a rod and a couple of others went down on the oil.

Overall the rebuild has transformed the bike and I can't wait for the beginning of the season next year.