Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2008, 10:08 AM   #16
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,963
Inspiring

Chanderjeet,

Thanks for the reply. Your RRs from the high passes in the Himalayas are truly amazing and inspiring.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:11 AM   #17
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Failed Miserably

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson Jim
Nice pics, and since they already probably thought you were a pervert, we would have liked to see some pics of the orange jeep bikini!!
I know. I failed miserably in getting photos of the correct things. Not only once...
Old 05-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #18
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Let's finish this Ride, Miss Orange Bikini 2

I stop in Springerville for lunch. It appears I have a choice of Subway or McDonalds.

I'm at the Subway counter ordering a foot long when I notice a Harley Bagger pull into the parking lot. As the couple dismount I notice both are wearing matching red and black 3/4 length Dianese Textile Jackets. Highly unusual in the US I think.

The Harley Rider enters, spots me at the counter, and heads over with a big grin on his face. He has long curly gray hair and full beard. He asks, "Have you ridden far". I can tell by the thick English accent I hadn't ridden as far as them. I'm wondering how he got that Harley over the pond.

Quentin and Sandy (or Cindy, I couldn't tell with the accent) recently retired in England. He managed a large attorney firm. She was a school teacher.

After retirement they flew to Phoenix and rented the Harley to live out a long time dream. They spent the last three and a half weeks riding all over the Western US. They have the rest of the week left before flying home. They were heading to Silver City, NM and Bisbee, AZ.

Quentin shows me their map. Even though they are sitting at the beginning of the Coronado Trail they had left it off their planned route. I grab my camera and show them what they will miss. I hope they managed to include it.

I should've snapped a photo of Quentin and Sandy, since some of you here may have seen them on the road. I leave them in a hurry to get home.

I ride the US 60 to Show Low, and the US 260 to Payson. This is the Mogollon Rim Country. (pronounced Mo Gee Un)

I stop at this tricky little pullout. It's located just past the turnoff for Woods Canyon Lake, and just before the road drops over rim into the Christopher Creek Area.

Be careful getting in. Loose Gravel & Downgrade

Spectacular Views

I take the SR 87 "The Beeline Highway" from Payson. The pines end quickly after leaving Payson. I get a few more desert scenery shots.

It's gettin HOT. I find a small spot of shade to gulp down the last of my water.

There's always something blooming in the desert.

X Marks the Spot

Mile Marker 204, Four Peaks Wilderness

I enter the Valley of the Sun in Fountain Hills. I'm immediately surrounded by luxury cars coming out of the affluent neighborhoods. I notice very few motorcycles out. All of the cars had the windows up tight and the covertible tops closed. I'm the only idiot out in the HEAT. The temp guage is reading 110.

I take Shea Boulevard west. I hate this road. There are too many traffic lights. They are all perfectly timed to turn RED just before you get there, no matter what speed you ride. When the light turns green the drag race begins as everyone tries to jockey for position at the next RED light.

I'm winning this race and get the supreme position for the RED light at 136th Street. I'm the first vehicle stopped at the crosswalk in the fast lane when I spot Miss Orange Bikini 2 on the left corner. This orange bikini is being sported by a deeply tanned brunette wearing blue running shorts. Even though the "Don't Walk" sign had started flashing she's jogging in place and checking traffic. You can make it! You can make it! She must hear me and starts across. My front wheel is about 5 feet into the crosswalk and she must pass within a couple feet. I get a close-up inspection of this orange bikini. No KTM logos. It was actually an orange sports bra, but it was skimpy enough to qualify as a bikini. Nice!

I'm looking to my right to ensure the young lady makes it safely to the sidewalk when I notice 2 old ladies in a white Toyota have the jump on me. The drag race has begun, and I'm sitting still. I check my mirror to see a silver Mustang convertible (with the top up) about to rear end me!

I take off narrowly avoiding the second collision in one trip caused by an orange bikini. As I pass the old ladies in the Toyota I can almost hear them telling each other about the pervert nearly getting what he deserves. (Both are secretly wishing they still have what it takes to stop traffic.)

To my wife: Honey, if you happen to read this, I promise I would've never noticed either girl if they had not been sporting KTM ORANGE. Of course a new KTM motorcycle may alleviate this symptom...
Old 05-24-2008, 12:28 PM   #19
keram
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Thanks for sharing, great pictures.
keram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 08:25 PM   #20
GotDrySocks?
Llego lejos.

Oddometer: 103
Love those Mt. Graham Pics

Many thanks for the RR and pics. Great bike you're riding.

I grew up in Thatcher, Az (50's-60's). As a teenager rode my BSA up Mt. Graham many times to camp/fish at Snow Flat and Riggs before the road was paved. Coming down the mtn. was exciting... dirt all the way and no disc brakes.

Larry
Athens, Tx
GotDrySocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 12:22 AM   #21
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotDrySocks?
Many thanks for the RR and pics. Great bike you're riding.

I grew up in Thatcher, Az (50's-60's). As a teenager rode my BSA up Mt. Graham many times to camp/fish at Snow Flat and Riggs before the road was paved. Coming down the mtn. was exciting... dirt all the way and no disc brakes.

Larry
Athens, Tx
Sounds exciting Larry. I'm a very experienced street rider, but don't have much dirt experience yet. I've never done more than 12 miles of gravel at a time on my sport tourer. Too much breaky plastic to risk it.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:48 AM   #22
Ledge End Hairy
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 287
An added leg to my 2 week trip...

Nice RR Dave! I am heading out from SoCal on June 13th to travel through Southern Utah, Colorado, Northern NM and am now going to add a run down to Siliver Ctiy so I can ride up hwy 191 before heading over to Oak Creek Canyon then back home.

Cheers

T
Ledge End Hairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:15 AM   #23
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBC
Nice RR Dave! I am heading out from SoCal on June 13th to travel through Southern Utah, Colorado, Northern NM and am now going to add a run down to Siliver Ctiy so I can ride up hwy 191 before heading over to Oak Creek Canyon then back home.

Cheers

T
Sounds like you have a good route planned. Try to avoid Oak Creek Canyon on the weekend unless you want to be in a loooong slow moving line of tourists. If you do plan to ride OCC on a weekend then do it in the early morning to avoid the worst traffic. You won't have any traffic problems on the 191! Enjoy! Southern Utah and Colorado is my favorite.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:43 PM   #24
Ledge End Hairy
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 287
Occ

Lucky me that I have a friend staying in Oak Creek Canyon where I will hole up for a few days. Thanks for the advice on the weekend traffic.

T
Ledge End Hairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:09 PM   #25
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,216
Great ride report, but tales of hot chicks in orange bikinis are useless without pics!
Old 05-25-2008, 07:48 PM   #26
Saeed
Life-long learner

Oddometer: 284
Thumb Nice ride report and pix

great pics and report
thanks

2006 Honda CRF 250X " Sold "
2007 Sportster 883 " sold"
2008 yamaha FZ6
Saeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:18 PM   #27
wldct69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Nice Job

Dave,

Great write up and even greater pics. I live in Phoenix as well, and this thread has me planning a trip down south!!

Nice Futura by the way....I always liked those.
wldct69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:12 PM   #28
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
Originally Posted by wldct69
Dave,

Great write up and even greater pics. I live in Phoenix as well, and this thread has me planning a trip down south!!

Nice Futura by the way....I always liked those.
Thanks wldct69.

I'm currently planning a trip up North. Here is a map of the trip I'm planning for July. I've got 10 days off to get ~5800 miles done. RR will follow.

dave6253 screwed with this post 05-27-2008 at 04:17 PM
dave6253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:17 AM   #29
rdbandkab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
excellent RR... and on a Futura to boot!
rdbandkab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:17 AM   #30
kanhulk13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Thanks for the great trip report!

Are you sure you're not in the copper/mining business? Safford, Morenci...etc.

Mind you it's no coincidence that areas of mining and good motorcyling go hand in hand, esp. in Az. This from an ex Magma employee...

PS: Have you done any kind of fix to the rear view mirrors? Yours seem rock steady in the pictures. Mine vibrate and drop (eg. point down). Yes...you'r enot the only Futura rider out there!
kanhulk13 is offline   Reply With Quote