Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2008, 10:24 PM   #31
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhulk13
Thanks for the great trip report!

Are you sure you're not in the copper/mining business? Safford, Morenci...etc.

Mind you it's no coincidence that areas of mining and good motorcyling go hand in hand, esp. in Az. This from an ex Magma employee...

PS: Have you done any kind of fix to the rear view mirrors? Yours seem rock steady in the pictures. Mine vibrate and drop (eg. point down). Yes...you'r enot the only Futura rider out there!
Not into the mine business at all. I don't work that hard...

My mirrors have been locked as far out as possible for the last 6 years. They work just fine as long as I tuck the elbows in.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:21 PM   #32
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,450
Dave,
Nicely done RR neighbor. I've done Mt. Graham once and 191 several times. Thanks for bringing back a lot of fond memories.
DangerMoney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:36 AM   #33
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,321
191 condition

Nice RR and Pics. I rode some of the same roads you did a few weeks ago. I went from Payson to Show Low on 260, then 60 to Springerville, then 191 from there south to I-10, then home to Sierra Vista.

When I did the ride the southern 20 miles of twisties on 191 above the mine were very dirty. I think it was gravel from winter perhaps, but either way it was enough to slow me down. Was it pretty clean for your ride? I want to make another run and then come back down in NM but I would like to know if it is clean now.

Also great to see what is up Mt. Graham, a friend and I have talked about camping up there for some time, I think that time has come.

Thanks again for the great report and pictures! Let me know if you are down near Sierra Vista, I will buy you a beverage of your choice.

2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:07 PM   #34
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253

To my wife: Honey, if you happen to read this, I promise I would've never noticed either girl if they had not been sporting KTM ORANGE. Of course a new KTM motorcycle may alleviate this symptom...
Right on! I think a KTM moto in my possesion would alleiviate a lot of problemes indeed...
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:12 PM   #35
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
Great RR, I rode 191 for the first time last summer... it was a blast! Can't wait to do it again. I'll be riding the N. half of AZ in a couple weeks, hopefully much of what you just did. Yes, sport touring paradise...

Thanks!
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:41 PM   #36
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin
Nice RR and Pics. I rode some of the same roads you did a few weeks ago. I went from Payson to Show Low on 260, then 60 to Springerville, then 191 from there south to I-10, then home to Sierra Vista.

When I did the ride the southern 20 miles of twisties on 191 above the mine were very dirty. I think it was gravel from winter perhaps, but either way it was enough to slow me down. Was it pretty clean for your ride? I want to make another run and then come back down in NM but I would like to know if it is clean now.

Also great to see what is up Mt. Graham, a friend and I have talked about camping up there for some time, I think that time has come.

Thanks again for the great report and pictures! Let me know if you are down near Sierra Vista, I will buy you a beverage of your choice.

I noticed a few corners with gravel in the southern part of the 191, but it wasn't too bad. The ride up mount Graham did have quite a bit of sand and gravel in the corners. There were also construction crews cleaning the shoulders and dragging some dirt onto the road. I didn't see any constrcution crews on the 191, but there were areas that looked like the shoulders had been cleaned recently.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:47 PM   #37
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by viola-tor
Great RR, I rode 191 for the first time last summer... it was a blast! Can't wait to do it again. I'll be riding the N. half of AZ in a couple weeks, hopefully much of what you just did. Yes, sport touring paradise...

Thanks!
Arizona definitely has some great motorcycle roads, but riding in my own backyard is starting to get boring. I need a longer adventure to find some new roads....

........or a KTM to get to roads I can't reach now.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:20 AM   #38
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMoney
Dave,
Nicely done RR neighbor. I've done Mt. Graham once and 191 several times. Thanks for bringing back a lot of fond memories.
You're Welcome Bill! I really enjoyed describing the ride. It allowed me to relive it.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:48 AM   #39
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253
Arizona definitely has some great motorcycle roads, but riding in my own backyard is starting to get boring. I need a longer adventure to find some new roads....

........or a KTM to get to roads I can't reach now.
+1

I use my Dual Sport bike more than my street bikes. Southern AZ where I live is great for dual sport riding, I could probably spend the rest of my life exploring Cochise County. Lots of old mining roads, a few ghost towns, and lots of trails to explore. Out here a dual sport bike is a must have for the motorcyclist in my opinion. Get that KTM you want, and I am sure you will enjoy it a lot.

Thanks for the update on the road conditions, it sounds a lot better than it did when I was up 191.

I look forward to more ride reports from you, nice to see reports from someone in the neighborhood.
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:13 AM   #40
Butcho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Nice Pics man....

I love getting up early and reading RR`s. Good luck with the 5800 mile trip.. You are inspiring me....Nice bike I havent even heard of it untill now.
Butcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 04:11 AM   #41
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,529

Great report! Brought back a lot of memories as I spent part of my yout' in Clifton. Hope to see it again first hand next month. 191 is on the 'list'. The 110 in May does have me concerned, though.

Thanks again for a great read!

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:06 PM   #42
yogist
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
They lay cinders down on the snow and ice in winter....makes it slippery in the spring for bikes..be careful in those turns...!!
yogist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:27 AM   #43
1stiski
Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer: 1,617
Had to check out your first also ! Great report. Wonderful sites! That picture of the assembly of the dump trucks, WOW, those things are freaking huge ! Thanks for the report. My next ride will be a solo overnight excursion, I can't wait.
"Grim Brother" #1
1stiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:34 AM   #44
SpitfireTriple
Seek Truth

Oddometer: 876
Greetings from Corfu

Great pics and ride report Dave. You seem to be able to post higher-res photos on ADVrider than I am doing on Apriliaforum. I use Picasa, part of Google, and the images are limited to 800x600. If I had the time - maybe when I return - I can sort this out.

Nice to hear of someone else sweating in 110F/40C - though I'm currently taking a 30C break from my oh-so-arduous tour. I've taken my bike on the ferry to the Greek island of Corfu, where the missus has flown out for a week. This feels deliciously like cheating.
SpitfireTriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:25 AM   #45
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,425
Thanks for the RR and pictures. Arizona is one place I don't get to very much. My old body rejecting heat more than it use to. Guess I could do a winter trip huh?
I pour lots of water down the collar of my vented jacket. Even gives me a chill when it starts evaporating good. Really help me coming back from OKC to my home town in 98F weather awhile back.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote