Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2004, 02:44 AM   #1
Barry OP
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,098
XR650 R Motard or KTM SMC 625 Motard ?

Question,

I had planned to build a mac daddy XR650 R Motard. Engine, brakes, hubs, rims, suspenion. Figure $6Kish.

I can get the KTM SMC 625 for less than that, and the guy that was gonna' buiild the motor / suspension on the XR said the KTM out of the box would crush the modified XR.

Sooooo.... opinions on that? He then said that a little porting and cam added to the KTM would wake it right up.

Anyway, thanks for the input...

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 05:46 AM   #2
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that

Oddometer: 4,312
I'll be inetrested to see the comments on this as I'm in the process of purchasing a XR650R that also will see tard duty. The Thumpertalk.com forum is a great research place to see what guys are doing.

A thing of beauty...

DW
Old 02-11-2004, 05:52 AM   #3
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
I don't know abow VA but the KTM is easier to get a plate on than an XR if thats a issue.
If he gets the 04 SXC625 it comes with the FCR41 this year so that problem solved and their going out the door at bargain prices compared to most KTM's
Try KTMTalk.com for more input on that.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 09:52 AM   #4
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,679
No real comment, except there's a guy running a modified XR650R at our local track days and I can't catch him on my SV650.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 10:05 AM   #5
Barry OP
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,098
Quote:
Said tbirdsp:
No real comment, except there's a guy running a modified XR650R at our local track days and I can't catch him on my SV650.
Right - on a short track that is not surprising. Motards are devestatingly quick and agile under 100mph. Will trounce sportbikes.

My concern is would the KTM be even faster??? Everything I'm hearing is indicating that it would be signficantly faster.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 12:47 PM   #6
DJMARLEY
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 225
I would go with the 625SMC out of the box and down the road just a better all-around motard. Here's a pic of my ATK 600 Supermotard. If I did it again I would have gone with the KTM
as the LC4 motor is perfect for this kind of bike.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:30 PM   #7
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Re: XR650 R Motard or KTM SMC 625 Motard ?

Quote:
Said Barry:
Question,

I had planned to build a mac daddy XR650 R Motard. Engine, brakes, hubs, rims, suspenion. Figure $6Kish.

I can get the KTM SMC 625 for less than that, and the guy that was gonna' buiild the motor / suspension on the XR said the KTM out of the box would crush the modified XR.

Sooooo.... opinions on that? He then said that a little porting and cam added to the KTM would wake it right up.

Anyway, thanks for the input...

Barry
IMO, and based on the "mac daddy" comment, I have a hard time seeing you reaching that objective with a XR650 for 6K unless you already have the XR and plan on throwing another 6K at it.
Get the KTM, put gas in it, and your done 'cause you already have a competitive bike right out of the box.

Creeper

Hey Djmarley, nice ATK by the way!
Old 02-11-2004, 01:43 PM   #8
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,923
Quote:
Said DJMARLEY:
... If I did it again I would have gone with the KTM as the LC4 motor is perfect for this kind of bike.
Maybe, but the ATK is so much cooler. :-)

How about a front/side picture.

regards,
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 01:44 PM   #9
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,025
And doesn't the Katoom come with the button? Once you've had that, kicking a big single will seem like something from the ice age.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 01:56 PM   #10
Burren Rider
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,803
Quote:
Said Barry:

My concern is would the KTM be even faster??? Everything I'm hearing is indicating that it would be signficantly faster.

Barry
G'Day Barry,

I seem to be going against the tide here a bit, but I would back the XR as having the motor of choice for a motard. The thing hauls. With a decent pipe it will do 50hp on the dyno and anywhere up to 70 from what I hear once you add the the HRC kit. While I suspect you could probably acheive similar results with the KTM, I reckon it would take more work. Reliability is also a bit of a concern on anything that is producing a lot more power than it was intended to, but my personal experience with these two motors would have me putting more faith in the XR, although this is just my opinion.

The KTM's button and standard WP suspension are pretty enticing though so I guess it comes down to personal preference.
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 02:05 PM   #11
DJMARLEY
Let's Ride

[QUOTE]Said wpbarlow:
Maybe, but the ATK is so much cooler. :-)

How about a front/side picture.

Okay here's another pic.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:07 PM   #12
DJMARLEY
Let's Ride

and one more
Old 02-11-2004, 02:52 PM   #13
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Said Burren Rider:
G'Day Barry,

I seem to be going against the tide here a bit, but I would back the XR as having the motor of choice for a motard. The thing hauls. With a decent pipe it will do 50hp on the dyno and anywhere up to 70 from what I hear once you add the the HRC kit. While I suspect you could probably acheive similar results with the KTM, I reckon it would take more work. Reliability is also a bit of a concern on anything that is producing a lot more power than it was intended to, but my personal experience with these two motors would have me putting more faith in the XR, although this is just my opinion.

The KTM's button and standard WP suspension are pretty enticing though so I guess it comes down to personal preference.
Hey Burren Rider,
I respect your opinion, but I gotta' tell 'ya, the KTM makes 54hp out of the box (KTM.AU ref.) and the same basic engine design is used in the 660 Rally and 660 Factory SM which produce HP numbers in the mid to high 60s.
The LC4s have a reputation for going 40k miles between rebuilds. I agree that the XRs are as stout as a box of hammers, but I don't think they are "more" reliable or durable than a LC4, especially when modified to produce similar horsepower.
As usual, both of our opinions are subjective and to a degree based on personal experiance so... cheers!

Take care
Creeper
Old 02-11-2004, 03:31 PM   #14
motojedi
asphalt adventurer

Oddometer: 1,057
Do the Katoom. I bought a 625SXC and the supermoto wheels, tires, discs, etc. everything you need to swap wheels back and forth in about 10-15 min. for $7100 out the door. And as far as hop-ups go.....the right pipe, carb, and cam will get you around 70hp.
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2004, 03:53 PM   #15
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
Barry, Just out of curiousity what's your plan with the bike. Are you planning on using for it competition, or just for fun. Are you planning on using it only as a SM or for dirt as well, 90/10, 50/50, etc.

Anyone know if the USA spec SMC is going to come with a Kehin, or a Mikuni BST. I know they switched the SXC to Kehin, but it comes with a lot of wires clipped. It would be awful unusual, IMHO for KTM to sell it streetified with the Kehin, so you might need to factor in a bit more money for a pumper carb. Cheers, Mack
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote