ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2014, 04:15 AM   #1
DestinationUnknown OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Moving and Employment Thoughts

Thought adv might be a good place to feel out a few things from fellow 2wheelers.

I am 99% sure I am moving to the region soon. Would love to move now but currently have a few months of work here if I choose to stay with it. So figure late February or March. After visiting the region a few times over the last 2 years, would love to call it home. Not really set on any particular locations, as any of the four corner states would be great. The thought of having that kind of landscape within a few hours puts a huge smile on my face whenever I think about it. .

I am 28. Single. Little to no debt. No house. Few possessions. Have a few dollars saved. Set on moving even if I can't find a job immediately. Able to rent a small set up for a few months if necessary. Prefer to be away from any major cities. More rural than urban.The location would be mostly due to any sort of initial employment that might be available.
Majored in math in college but never did seem to find an applicable job that I enjoyed.
Went back to working outdoors or general labor jobs as I enjoyed them more(example is a few years as an engineers assistant doing structural/environmental inspections at construction sites. Or even operating a forklift for a year or so). Making the big $$ never was my main goal. Enough to live on and put a few dollars back each week works for me.
Curious what people would recommend or knew of any employment opportunities that would be a fit. Plenty of positive references here in my home area

Open to suggestions.
DestinationUnknown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:26 PM   #2
cbig
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 897
sounds like

U wanna b a math teacher in Grand Junction, Moab, or Montebello or..?
Old 12-05-2014, 06:30 PM   #3
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbig View Post
U wanna b a math teacher in Grand Junction, Moab, or Montebello or..?
or maybe even Mancos, CO???
Gale B.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:21 PM   #4
DestinationUnknown OP
Adventurer

My math major was a B.S.

I didn't take any classes through the school of education, which is a B.S.E. or B.A.E. I think certification is hard to come by because of that. I am missing knowledge of 'pedagogy'. I have done some tutoring around home and enjoyed it. The money isn't bad.

Thanks for the suggestion.

DestinationUnknown screwed with this post 12-05-2014 at 08:27 PM
Old 12-05-2014, 09:56 PM   #5
oldoval
Frank Orator

Oddometer: 621
If you've got the pioneering spirit, and it sounds like you do, just pick up and go.

13 years ago I packed up my wife, a cat, and everything that would fit in a 6x12 trailer and left Georgia for Utah. No job, no real plan, very little money, just knew it was time to go. I was younger than you at the time. Best decision we ever made.

The west is not the east, things move at a different pace, people are different. Be patient and keep an open mind. Leave YOUR problems in the east. Consider the journey an extended vacation.

There is always work for those who want to work....... you may have to check your ego though and take less than you expect.

If I were a young man and weren't married, I'd do things a little differently. Get yourself a small camper. That way, you can spend some time getting to know different cities or areas without having to commit too much. Stay for the summer in a town you think you might like, get a job, etc. If it doesn't feel like a good fit, pull your camper to the next place. It's very easy to camp in absolutely gorgeous places for FREE in the west.

Good luck.

Edit: Consider waiting till spring to move. Showing up in an area you don't know after it just got hit with a foot of snow could suck balls.
Edit 2: Lots of young single folks like yourself get jobs with wildland fire crews. Big deal here in the west. Fun group of people. Someone on here probably has lots of knowledge on the subject.

oldoval screwed with this post 12-05-2014 at 10:05 PM
oldoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:08 PM   #6
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,482
I moved to CO after graduating college at 23. Headed west (from MI) with $500 in my pocket and no plan or employment. Landed in Golden in 1993 and have been in Colo Sprgs since 1995?

If I were to do the same thing again now, at your age.....Montrose would be the place. Maybe Palisade, GJ, or Fruita if there was a job down there. The front range is a nightmare for anyone averse to "the big city". Plant roots on the western slope at a young age right now and you can probably enjoy it for the next twenty years, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldoval View Post
The west is not the east, things move at a different pace, people are different. Be patient and keep an open mind. Leave YOUR problems in the east. Consider the journey an extended vacation.
Lots of truth to this statement. There are big cultural differences out here, no matter where you come from. The good news is that even 21 years later, most days feel like I'm on vacation. The bad news is (may or may not be) that at some point, the place you left will be gone, and there's no going home.
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8

_CJ screwed with this post 12-05-2014 at 10:14 PM
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:30 PM   #7
oldoval
Frank Orator

Oddometer: 621
CJ.....

Yep, Utah is my home now. It's weird, only thirteen years away from the East and I feel so far removed from that place, it may as well be Mars. It's almost like I never lived there.

Every time I go out exploring my state I'm amazed I actually get to live in this place.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:43 PM   #8
DestinationUnknown OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldoval View Post
If you've got the pioneering spirit, and it sounds like you do, just pick up and go.

Edit: Consider waiting till spring to move. Showing up in an area you don't know after it just got hit with a foot of snow could suck balls.
Edit 2: Lots of young single folks like yourself get jobs with wildland fire crews. Big deal here in the west. Fun group of people. Someone on here probably has lots of knowledge on the subject.

Spring is the likely time. Gives me an opportunity to earn a few more dollars. Maybe locate a job by then. It seems likely that I will have to move before getting work though. A lot of places list state driver license or address in their listing. Face to face meeting is a normal requirement.

I have looked into Forest Service, National Parks, and other outdoor listings for jobs. Seems to be hit and miss. I have no issue working a labor type position. I made a decision a few years ago to eliminate as much debt as possible. It has made things easier, taking a job that didn't pay all that well but was enjoyable. Or in this instance, being able to move without any set plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
I moved to CO after graduating college at 23. Headed west (from MI) with $500 in my pocket and no plan or employment. Landed in Golden in 1993 and have been in Colo Sprgs since 1995?

If I were to do the same thing again now, at your age.....Montrose would be the place. Maybe Palisade, GJ, or Fruita if there was a job down there. The front range is a nightmare for anyone averse to "the big city". Plant roots on the western slope at a young age right now and you can probably enjoy it for the next twenty years, at least.

Lots of truth to this statement. There are big cultural differences out here, no matter where you come from. The good news is that even 21 years later, most days feel like I'm on vacation. The bad news is (may or may not be) that at some point, the place you left will be gone, and there's no going home.
Thanks for the info.

On my previous riding trip I did eastern Utah and western Colorado. Little bit of New Mexico. Passed through several places you mentioned. Loved the region. The open space.

Part of my posting is a feeler in a way. Maybe someone needs a farm hand, laborer, etc. Anything to allow me to get settled in the area. Positive comments so far. A few pms including one on possibly pursuing something at Los Alamos in New Mexico.

I expected the type of stuff like " stay away, there is nothing here to see". Lol.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:29 AM   #9
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
I
Quote:
expected the type of stuff like " stay away, there is nothing here to see". Lol.[/QUOTE
You are very sharp , that statement is usually on our first post but you hit us all in December and it is almost Christmas time.

Come on ,lots of super folks out here
Gale B.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:51 PM   #10
1Gopokes1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
heading west

you might want to consider ID, MT and Wyo also

I moved out to Wyo at 19 from the East coast.. bounced around a bit ...been in Colo Springs for about 20 years now .....it has changed a lot ..I know I moved here too and am part of the " problem"

I would stay away from the Colo Front range it has become very " coastal / big city. Traffic/ expensive

You might consider one of the oil companies haliburton / Schlumberja (sp) etc lots of time off good $$

I am looking to retire in a couple years and Cottez / Durango is # 1 on the list , Montrose possibly. Maybe Idaho ( Wyo if the wife leaves me)

how well do you tolerate cold and snow??
1Gopokes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:17 PM   #11
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationUnknown View Post

I expected the type of stuff like " stay away, there is nothing here to see". Lol.
So not to disappoint you, I'll just come out and say what the others haven't.
The state is full, no more room left unless you are visiting.
Please try Wyoming, they are the lest populated state and have plenty of space.

just kidding
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:11 PM   #12
Nanuq
Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer: 1,070
You can always try Alaska!!!! It's a trip.
2008 KLR 685- Iron Butt Association #44803
Trippin' in the Yukon & the AK!

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
Nanuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:16 PM   #13
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,408
What size town are you used to?
Some of the small mountain towns can seem pretty remote if you are used to Walmart, etc.

Stay away from the front range. Probably better off in TN.

I'll let someone else give you the low down on GJ and Montrose, but just a little heads up on the four corners region:
Cortez has all the amenities, but is a little, shall we say, 'backwards'. Not in a bad way. I just think it would be a harder fit for an out-of-towner.
Farmington is growing. Most of the work is gas related. Not a bad place. A bit far from the mountains.
Durango is probably the nicest of the local towns/cities, but I am biased. Small college, good tourism industry with the train, the ski area, golf courses and the college. Currently lots of building -residential and commmercial going on. Not cheap, but what is?
Old 12-10-2014, 01:09 AM   #14
DestinationUnknown OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gopokes1 View Post
you might want to consider ID, MT and Wyo also

I moved out to Wyo at 19 from the East coast.. bounced around a bit ...been in Colo Springs for about 20 years now .....it has changed a lot ..I know I moved here too and am part of the " problem"

I would stay away from the Colo Front range it has become very " coastal / big city. Traffic/ expensive

You might consider one of the oil companies haliburton / Schlumberja (sp) etc lots of time off good $$

I am looking to retire in a couple years and Cottez / Durango is # 1 on the list , Montrose possibly. Maybe Idaho ( Wyo if the wife leaves me)

how well do you tolerate cold and snow??
Far as cold and snow, at first I would love it but I would have to adjust over time. I did a 4-5 week out of town assignment several years ago in Nebraska and Kansas. Woke up one morning at the hotel to see single digits and snow drifts several feet tall. It was nice until I had to dig the truck out at 4:30 in the morning, then realizing I am sitting on a patch of ice .

We get a few inches once a year here. Single digit temperatures happen a few days each winter, but not much less. It would be a change. I am used to riding year around here. I realize it might seem silly, but I haven't owned a car or truck since 2010. I have been motorcycle only. I have the funds set aside to purchase something used but dependable if I decide to move. Here any car I owned would sit. Either I've been close enough to school and work to walk, or if I had a commute I got lucky with the weather. In that region I realize it would be required to have a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADODIRT View Post
What size town are you used to?
Some of the small mountain towns can seem pretty remote if you are used to Walmart, etc.

Stay away from the front range. Probably better off in TN.

I'll let someone else give you the low down on GJ and Montrose, but just a little heads up on the four corners region:
Cortez has all the amenities, but is a little, shall we say, 'backwards'. Not in a bad way. I just think it would be a harder fit for an out-of-towner.
Farmington is growing. Most of the work is gas related. Not a bad place. A bit far from the mountains.
Durango is probably the nicest of the local towns/cities, but I am biased. Small college, good tourism industry with the train, the ski area, golf courses and the college. Currently lots of building -residential and commmercial going on. Not cheap, but what is?
Originally from a town with a population of 800 or 900. Moved into the closet major city at one point to get closer to a job, but moved back to the original town after that job ended.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #15
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationUnknown View Post

Originally from a town with a population of 800 or 900. Moved into the closet major city at one point to get closer to a job, but moved back to the original town after that job ended.
Might try Fruita or Ridgway.
I spent ten wonderful years in Ridgway. Great little town. In the mountains, close to Montrose (1/2 hour), close to Moab (2 1/2 hours).