ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional Forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 08:02 AM   #19621
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,333
RR - Modified Wallsburg run

As Big-K noted, the 3 of us (Big-K, GISkev & I) had a great ride yesterday on our modified Wallsburg run. Two orange bikes & a 550 Aprilia. Wow, hard to get used to the purr of that v twin against the thumping of the 2 big singles.

Time to remove the jackets after the refreshing air on Guardsmans. What a beautiful day...

Snack break on the ridge. The aspen leaves are just poppin...

We dropped into Hobble Crk, wandered around a few trails and gave GISkev a change to practice tire repair from a nail. We then picked up fuel for the Ape & us in Springville & looped up onto Pole Heaven Rd / Squaw Peak road to drop into Provo Cyn / 189. This road affords some really nice views of the valley looking southwest.

At this point the sky had cleared enuf to get some great views. Check the road disappearing in the distance...

All was going well till we came upon several quads parked with their riders muttering. We rounded to corner to see maybe a 100 yards of white stuff. Close inspection revealed that there was 1-2 ft of dirt showing on all but about 15 ft of road way. GISkev led the way over the snow bank & we followed ...

Sadly, the quads were not able to follow. Damn! Looking back...

Views, views, views...

This make my head hurt...

Lots of white still up there..

Our plan was to hit the Provo canyon rd, Run up n over to Cascade, Snake creek & Guardsman to BCC. But, as Big-K noted, we found a major traffic jam on the canyon road & were forced to ride the freeway home.

Sad news on the MC crash...

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=25337716&nid...cid=featured-1

Two stupid moves there -
a. the idiot in the Blazer doing a U turn in front of the MC rider
b. The MC rider with no helmet.

Sad...

(Sorry for the editorial)

So...Check out this ride soon before the crowds appear. Well worth the effort.

Thanks for a great ride, Kevs.

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga

harcus screwed with this post 05-27-2013 at 08:08 AM
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #19622
Verm06
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Wink Broken handguard lol

Got back from a solo ride in af canyon and on some of the dirt. I stopped for a drink of water and noticed my left hand guard was broken haha. I didn't even drop the big girl... must have been from the previous dumps and a crack just went. Time to look up improved hand guards for my 990.
Wish i could post pics, but I'm lazy for now(don't want to set up a photobucket account). The gate to silver lake is open now.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:08 AM   #19623
CharlieFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post
As Big-K noted, the 3 of us (Big-K, GISkev & I) had a great ride yesterday on our modified Wallsburg run. Two orange bikes & a 550 Aprilia. Wow, hard to get used to the purr of that v twin against the thumping of the 2 big singles.

So...Check out this ride soon before the crowds appear. Well worth the effort.
Thanks for the report Harcus!
CharlieFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #19624
Sh4ft
Beater

Oddometer: 81
Quote:

I understand this was a shakedown ride for the 7" tablets. I think I see a the tablet mount on the bike on the right, if so - how did that work out? I have a galaxy tab2 and am interested to hear how the cached maps and mount(s) did... What mount was it? Any problems with heat? Are you using a cigarette charger? etc...
Sh4ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:30 AM   #19625
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,802
tablets...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4ft View Post
I understand this was a shakedown ride for the 7" tablets. I think I see a the tablet mount on the bike on the right, if so - how did that work out? I have a galaxy tab2 and am interested to hear how the cached maps and mount(s) did... What mount was it? Any problems with heat? Are you using a cigarette charger? etc...
Yes, tablets indeed. Harcus and I are both running Galaxy Tab 2 7" tablets in otterboxes. He fabricated a sweet mount on little springs to isolate the vibration, and I'm running a ram mount. both seemed to work well. I've got the entire state plus some on a 32GB SD card. The gps works just fine. To hardwire it in i'm using one of these http://burnsmoto.com/usb-power-socket-weatherproof.php which works fine... Bright sunlight makes it a little hard to see, so checking for a tablet that works better than these might be good. machine specs would likely have numbers for the total brightness. The brightness issue didn't bug me much though.

We are using the android app that you can find at DualSportMaps.com

One tree limb would wreck the fun, so I'll keep my fingers crossed till Harcus integrates the tablet with one of his smallish rally fairings!

GISkev screwed with this post 05-28-2013 at 08:50 AM
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #19626
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,796
Headed to the Baja 500 this time with a cage.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #19627
bonekrusher
big jerk

Oddometer: 55
Quote:

Time to remove the jackets after the refreshing air on Guardsmans. What a beautiful day...

Snack break on the ridge. The aspen leaves are just poppin...

We dropped into Hobble Crk, wandered around a few trails and gave GISkev a change to practice tire repair from a nail. We then picked up fuel for the Ape & us in Springville & looped up onto Pole Heaven Rd / Squaw Peak road to drop into Provo Cyn / 189. This road affords some really nice views of the valley looking southwest.

*snip*
Can anyone send me tracks for this? Or point me to a similar already existing set?

Thanks!
bonekrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #19628
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonekrusher View Post
Can anyone send me tracks for this? Or point me to a similar already existing set?

Thanks!
PM your email to me so I can attach.

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
Old 05-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #19629
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4ft View Post
As Kev noted, we are both running Galaxy Tab 2 / 7 in pads with the DualSportMaps app. We have both downloaded the USGS topo maps for all of Utah & then some. There are several ways to do this but that is another subject. This can also be done with Google maps normal or terrain. We also have Open Street Maps loaded tho we used only the USGS maps on this trip & most trips.

Here is my pad on the 990. Trailtwister n I did a ride in St George in March so this was the setup then. I have a 1/2 in dia tube mounted on the windshield brackets on which the pad is mounted...

Here is the latest setup on the 500 EXC...

The vibration level on the 500 was great enough that I needed to isolate the pad from the the shaker (bike) so I added springs like such...

That solved the problem. After doing this I realized that there had been some issues on the 990 mount (no isolation) causing intermittent drop out on the previous ride.

I modified a standard cig lighter USB adapter (about $5) to have a "double bullet" pass thru connection so I can daisy chain other accessories like the Garmin 76 CX. I found that the cig lighter connectors are unreliable. Looks like this...

For the mount, Kev uses a std RAM mount ball system. I use a custom split clamp that mounts to a 1/2 in dia tube. This allows me to clamp tighter & hold a position. This allows adjustment in only one axis but that is all that is needed. In either case, we both use the std Otterbox cover/ cradle to hold the pad. It is a nice design & cheap.

I also added 2 wire hold down restraints to prevent the pad from jumping out of the cradle. Kev uses Voile straps...

I also added a sun / glare shield that isn't shown. It definitely helps. The slick screen of the Otterbox does a great job of reflecting everything.

Performance wise, I was much happier this trip than last. As noted, the GPS in the pad never dropped out. It tracked us constantly recording tracks as designed.

The pad is nice allowing not only a bigger view than the normal GPS but also quick searching of the area for trail options using finger dragging, etc. The DSM system is not as polished as the dedicated Garmin system but still has advantages. The pros n cons of the DSM SW is the subject of another review.

Bottom line - Definitely usable.

Cost - Pad = $192 / Otterbox = $60 ish on Amazon / 32 gb MicroSD card $25 / DSM = $20 / mount = about $40 for the RAM

More testing to come...

harcus screwed with this post 05-28-2013 at 08:11 PM
Old 05-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #19630
fano
here and there

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Never thought cage racing could be this much fun

05 KTM 450 MXC , 01 Triumph Tiger 955i
04 KTM 950 ADV , 00 Husaberg 501FE
04 GasGas TXT300 PRO , 70 Jawa 250
fano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #19631
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,802
RallyTab

I must chime in that when I'd set the 'autorotate' setting to ON it wasn't keeping up w/ twisty mtn rds. I think the NORTHUP setting is best unless your tablet isn't a cheapy like ours. If anyone wants to buy me a wicked fast tablet to trounce through the backcountry for a test, well, you know where to find me.

I never intended to use the tablet on the KTM 520, but rather the vstrom. i have a samsung rubgy pro smart phone (mil spec rugged) that i wanted to use on the dirtbike, but that bastard won't use the burns moto unit to charge but the freaking tablet will. both samsung. I do like the tablet, but one wipe out could do it in w/o mo betta armor. I'll abuse it till i loose it, then figure out the tougher phone option when the tab is crushed. Once i crush the phone I'll get one of those roll thingys they use in dakar but I'll print it on toilet paper so that if i get lost and cornfused i at least can sh!t myself being lost in the desert cuz i thought samsung had my back. ...there are high end ruggedi$ed tablets that perform well, and that my friends is the future. Don't hook it up to your blinker fluid.

GISkev screwed with this post 05-28-2013 at 08:39 PM
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #19632
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fano View Post
Never thought cage racing could be this much fun

Have no clue if it is fun. I'll let you know in a few days

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Old 05-29-2013, 05:33 AM   #19633
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Will you be behind the wheel?
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #19634
bonekrusher
big jerk

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
PM your email to me so I can attach.
PM sent, thank you!
bonekrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:17 AM   #19635
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick View Post
Will you be behind the wheel?
Unfortunately no. I'll be co driving. That is if we get to the start line. We prefab a little yesterday and the truck is pissing oil everywhere. So today we are wrenching.

Sent from my DROID RAZR