ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #20176
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,740
Jack and I had a great day of trialsing out at Granny's ranch today. I wish I had of started at his age. It's amazing how quick they learn.

frog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #20177
RetrogradE
Banned

Oddometer: 1,226
Which one of you FFs gave me the ADV Salute today around 3pm, just off the Brigham City exit?

I was on a white GSA (in business clothes) heading towards the I-15.

Whoever gave me the finger, I appreciate it. I would've reciprocated if I'd had the time (just day dreaming a little, that's all). This mystery rider was ATGATT on a V-Strom--I think.

RetrogradE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #20178
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,670
^^^^^

Not me, but I woulda if i coulda! Hilarious.

Anyone riding tomorrow afternoon/evening?? My strom will turn 50,000 and I'm thinking of doing it right. I could do dirt though...

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #20179
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev View Post

Anyone riding tomorrow afternoon/evening?? My strom will turn 50,000 and I'm thinking of doing it right. I could do dirt though...
I was gonna say you!

But I didn't wanna be a dirty rat fink.....

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #20180
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post
Is this just a practice run to see if you can find Steamboat in September? 800 miles sounds like all pavement.
I am getting the bike up as close to Canadia as possible. Sitting in a restaurant in Worley, ID stealing Wi-Fi. I am going to ride the continental divide trail, and an inmate was nice enough to let me store the bike at his place of business, lend me some tools for changing tires and oil, hooked me up with a sweet camp site next to Coeur d'alaine lake, and I even got a shower today. Keys are all accounted for.

Total mileage was 2372 since Friday morning, all slab, about 1000 miles of interstate as I am on a schedule. I'll fly back to Texas on Thursday, work for 12 days, then fly back up here and start the ride.

I could use the help of Utards who are willing to receive my SPOTS, cuz I'll be traveling solo. If I get in trouble, it would be nice to have some bitches who can rally some troops close to where I need help. If you can help out, please PM me your phone number and the name of your wireless carrier.

If anyone is interested in joining me for a leg of the trip, let me know. I'll be on a tight schedule so no crybabies or noobs...sorry. Riding will be typical Utarded moto-backpacking: ride from dawn to dusk, eat at gas stations, sleeping in the dirt...that kinda thing.
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #20181
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,912
Hey Hick, ya know the POS FJR you rode and thought it was shit. They finished 1,2,3 in the
Iron Butt Rally and 5 of the top ten bikes were FJRs. Hmmmmm.

It's all good. A 1600 Beemer did slip in at 18.

Just say'n.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #20182
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,493
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Hey Hick, ya know the POS FJR you rode and thought it was shit. They finished 1,2,3 in the
Iron Butt Rally and 5 of the top ten bikes were FJRs. Hmmmmm.

It's all good. A 1600 Beemer did slip in at 18.

Just say'n.
I read that too and said to myself, "what the hell was I riding that day." Because whatever FJR I was riding made my hands and ass numb after 10 miles...and I'm the kind of guy that likes full feeling in his ass.

I also watched the start on YouTube. There were a lot of Harleys and GSs. I saw more Vstroms participating than k1600s.

Over the past 4 days, I realize that the ability to stand up is what made it possi le for me to do long days on the SE. Today was 6 hours of riding, stopping only for gas, and it felt like an easy day.
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #20183
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick View Post
I read that too and said to myself, "what the hell was I riding that day." Because whatever FJR I was riding made my hands and ass numb after 10 miles...and I'm the kind of guy that likes full feeling in his ass.
Odd. For the beating it's used to taking I would have thought numb would be your preference.

Masochist.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #20184
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick View Post

I also watched the start on YouTube. There were a lot of Harleys and GSs. I saw more Vstroms participating than k1600s.

Over the past 4 days, I realize that the ability to stand up is what made it possi le for me to do long days on the SE. Today was 6 hours of riding, stopping only for gas, and it felt like an easy day.
You know the rules - No pics, no credit! We think you are sitting in Labuttock on your keys posting this!

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #20185
RetrogradE
Banned

Oddometer: 1,226
Quote:

The odd part is:

I was heading from Logan to my office in Davis County--put in a couple hours of work and then started towards my house. On the way home, I passed another GSA--this FF also had ATGATT (which is fine--more than fine, really)--but he managed a full-five-finger wave.

It's all good in the Yard. . .Inmates are behaving well.
RetrogradE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #20186
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonfire of Vanity View Post
The odd part is:

I was heading from Logan to my office in Davis County--put in a couple hours of work and then started towards my house. On the way home, I passed another GSA--this FF also had ATGATT (which is fine--more than fine, really)--but he managed a full-five-finger wave.

It's all good in the Yard. . .Inmates are behaving well.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #20187
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Haven't ridden in two years. Fun in why-oh-min today on the ancient pig.
 photo 7a5d81f3-773a-4b43-8514-c5cddfb8fc40_zps73a09555.jpg

Flowy traversing single track
 photo image_zps3eeb7a92.jpg

Traversing atv tracks
 photo image_zps80a6b468.jpg

Off to the Wind Rivers tomorrow
Old 08-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #20188
81cr450
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
I'm Lazy & dont wanna use the search button, so I'm just gonna ask.
Thanks in adv ance

I'm looking for a tyvek / hylomar type off-road map for utah. Particularly for the s-e corner of the state, like I-15 east & I-70 south. I'd prefer the whole state but I need that particular area. I asked a friend he said go to the forest service office , but I dont wanna get one when it'd be "oh you shoulda got another much better made for what your doing map"

Appreciate some wisdom on this
81cr450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #20189
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Here's what I found online for the 'official' tool kit...

- 7 MM AND 10 MM OPEN END
- 10 AND 13 MM COMBINATION WRENCH
- PLIERS
- T-WRENCH WITH 45 TORX 6 MM, 8 MM, 10 MM, FLAT HEAD SCREWDRIVER
- COMBINATION AXEL WRENCH WITH TIRE IRON END 17, 21, 27, 32 MM

What's this missing for trail riding? Certainly much more gets packed up for long trips...
Combination bottle opener and 13mm box wrench. You can use it with a 3/8" torque wrench for the head bolts. Oh, and to open beer.

Current bikes:
'06 KTM 950 Adventure-S
'09 KTM 300 XCW - Plated

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts -- Bertrand Russell
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. Its the life in your years -- Abraham Lincoln
Trailtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #20190
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post
As all good riders of orange will remember, the 10th annual KTM Adv Rally is in Steamboat from 13 thru 15 September.

Here is the link to the announcement...

http://www.ktmorangeevents.com/EventPage.aspx

This is the typical rally format where you are forced to meet people you may not know, ride with them on trails you may never have seen, attempt to get lost, return to camp hot, dirty & sweaty for an evening of BS, drinks, & steaks, etc. Anyone can attend on any color bike but it is required that you are not offended by the aforementioned behavior.

I have a reserved a campsite with a few extra spaces in the Steamboat campground which is within a few miles of rally central at the Grand. They have showers, etc.

I have also laid out a path to Steamboat along the North Slope weaving into Wyoming to drop into Steamboat with minimal pavement. At least is exists on the topos. We shall see.

Some events like CJRacer's tech clinics start earlier so you may want to arrive earlier & get a head start on the debauchery. I plan to ride over early. My site is reserved for 10 thru 14.

Here is the Adv link...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...t=833716&page=

Let me know if you want to ride along or a tent site. Hope to see you there.
Can I bring the bigass dirtbike?

Current bikes:
'06 KTM 950 Adventure-S
'09 KTM 300 XCW - Plated

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts -- Bertrand Russell
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. Its the life in your years -- Abraham Lincoln
Trailtwister is offline   Reply With Quote