ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #20461
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeladv View Post
Thanks for the info...I like the 1190R and want to see it in person. Riding it would be better, but I'm still a few months out on that...
No problemo.......you do know they're coming at my specific request......to take Ricky's down payment and photograph his smiling face on the new 1190.....
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #20462
WY wanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Progressive Adjuster on Wasatch Front

Hey all,

Meeting with the Progressive claims adjuster next week. Never made a claim before but am nervous about the outcome based on how many time he threw the word totaled out. If the parts and scratched and don't need to be replaced do I claim it?

Any advice is welcome.
1972 Honda CB500 SOLD
WY wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #20463
warp9man
Gravel in my Travel

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by WY wanderer View Post
Hey all,

Meeting with the Progressive claims adjuster next week. Never made a claim before but am nervous about the outcome based on how many time he threw the word totaled out. If the parts and scratched and don't need to be replaced do I claim it?

Any advice is welcome.
I just went thru this very problem. Get a quote for a new replacement part then get a quote for repaint from a shop. If you want to keep it from getting totaled offer the painted price instead of replacment. My adjuster (farm bearu ) also threw in a little for labor for me to remove and reinstall the painted parts
warp9man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #20464
WY wanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
That's good to know Warp.

I've read a term "appearance allowance" that would allow them to pay a percentage of the replacement part price. Anyone know more about this?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp9man View Post
I just went thru this very problem. Get a quote for a new replacement part then get a quote for repaint from a shop. If you want to keep it from getting totaled offer the painted price instead of replacment. My adjuster (farm bearu ) also threw in a little for labor for me to remove and reinstall the painted parts
1972 Honda CB500 SOLD
WY wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #20465
pluric
Banned

Oddometer: 16,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
Hey Ricky......time to start bleeding orange......and you don't even have to go to the Steamboat Rally..........
Hmmmm, Todd-Squad's son works there and Todd has a deposit on an 1190. Seems to
be a bit of a delivery issue. He got to test one in Perth while on business and is in love.

I'm too old to be able to use all that HP. Plus, I still enjoy riding more than wrenching.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #20466
2wheeladv
Lost & lov'n it

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
No problemo.......you do know they're coming at my specific request......to take Ricky's down payment and photograph his smiling face on the new 1190.....
'06 Big Dog K-9
'03 HD Road King 100 YR '69 Triumph 650cc
2wheeladv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #20467
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp9man View Post
You guys will never believe it thanks to friends on Facebook and them posting and re posting random ass posting on Facebook I got a tip today at 12 o'clock where my bike was at. called the police they took 2 hours but I finally recovered my bike
Yea Sunsabitches, hope he had to be carried away. Got my race bike stolt from behind the shop one day. Cops were slow, but that gave me time to steal it back before they got there when we learned where it was. Multiple bikes in 2 locations so I sneaked off with mine leaving the others for evidence with my buddies holding the thieves.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #20468
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,496
Started the ride report if'n any of you bitches are interested:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919806
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #20469
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Ride?

I have December 6-January 1 off, then April 4-May 1 off if anyone wants to do a 7-10 day ride during those time frames.

I'm out in the Puget Sound until December 6th, and hoping to ride somewhere sunny and warm before the holidays.

Edit: mapped an 800 mile loop from St. George through Death Valley and back. Hoping to rode it mid-December.....brrrr......

trackhead screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 01:42 PM
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #20470
buzzardair
Shrubbery Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Steamboat

The Baja 990 Special edition

1190 Adventure

The 1190 R

KTM bought dinner and drinks Saturday Night on the top of the mountain.

buzzardair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #20471
2wheeladv
Lost & lov'n it

Oddometer: 222
Nice pics, now who has a RR on the 1190R

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardair View Post

1190 Adventure

The 1190 R

'06 Big Dog K-9
'03 HD Road King 100 YR '69 Triumph 650cc
2wheeladv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #20472
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Oddometer: 467
Idaho tour

Hey hows the weather in Colorado?

Writing from Stanley here. Idaho's dualsport roads are groomed for no dust. For 4 days the rain was ahead, behind, left and right. But sunny overhead.
Trailtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #20473
mung
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Trials this weekend-9-21

Trials at Grannies Red Rock Ranch this weekend. Fun place to ride.
mung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #20474
FeatherKing
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardair View Post

Im pretty sure thats harcus on the right?
FeatherKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #20475
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,436
I was able to ride the new 1190R and the 1190 this weekend at Steamboat, and all I can say is WOW! KTM has really knocked the engine and handling out of the park with this bike. We rode 20 miles on the street, no offroad, so I can't comment of the offroad ability of the 1190R. I will say, there were some pro riders who were out hammering on them, no it's pretty obvious that it will go anywhere you're willing to point it. Of course, those guys are incredibly good...and they still managed to break a mirror! Lol...they weren't taking it easy on them.

First, the fit and finish of the bikes is top notch. It looks much better in person than in pictures - and the R in particular is a much larger bike in person than the pictures had led me to believe it would be.

That said, comfort....I find the R to be a bit cramped both in the seating area, and the reach to the pegs. Keep in mind though, I am a big guy (what with the diesel love engine in the mid section) so I am definitely outside the "target demographic" in that regard. The pegs are up high so my legs were bunched up a bit. For standing they are in a good location, but then the bars are low - I would be looking at significant bar risers (1.5"?) to put them in a better position.

The "standard" version is more comfortable in both regards for me. The bars however, are even lower, and the windscreen/fairing more compact. Wind protection is really good in the legs and torso areas on both bikes, with the R having a bit more protection but a turbulent air flow. I would probably put a smaller screen on the R - while conversely, I would probably put a larger screen on the standard.

Bars are nice and wide and the cockpit is "in" in the bike more on the R than the standard. The standard to me, felt like a sportbike with a sit up seating position compared to the taller feeling R.

Also, the heat issue we've heard some people discuss is a real concern for me. It was only about 75 degrees on the day I rode the R, and the heat when not moving from the rear cylinder is very noticeable. I was wearing mesh riding pants. On the day I rode the standard, it was 54 degrees and light rain, so the heat was actually welcome, but again very tickle when not moving / traffic. This could be a real issue for us in the southwest - I think on a hot summer day in traffic, it would just boil your beans.

Engine is FANTASTIC. This is one of the best engines I've ever ridden. The fueling is PERFECT, and there is ZERO driveline snatch in traffic on/off throttling. Also, the electronics are seamless - when engaged you can't get it to lift the front wheel, but it doesn't do weird things like stutter and cut the throttle- it just doesn't give anymore power to lift the wheel. Very, very nice electronics. That said' this thing is a MONSTER - I went from 20mph to well over "reasonable" in less than 200 yards.....and it was pulling strong..... I had to back off cause one of the ride leaders saw me do it in his mirror and stopped to yell at me....lol.

Brakes are awesome.
Suspension is awesome.
Handling is awesome.

Overall, the biggest thing is you really need to ask yourself - are you going to offroad it or no? If you're going to sport tour, the standard bike is the way to go without a doubt. It's actually amazing how distinct the two bikes feel.

I think KTM needs to fix the heat issue for some folks, but overall this bike is going to be a runaway success.

YMMV

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote