ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #21046
Roostre
Discombobulated
 
Roostre's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: SL, UT
Oddometer: 1,039
I have an old set off of my daughter's CRF230. You may need some hardware for them, but you are welcome to them.

Moab is freaking cold in the winter... better to drop into Mesquite this time if year in my not so vast experience.
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #21047
dakardad
Not waiting for anyone
 
dakardad's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Glide, Ore./Boulder, Ut.
Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman View Post
Sitting at my desk planning a spring dez ride to see some things I haven't seen yet. Three day loop out of Vernal area. Basically. Seep Ridge, Kokopelli, Lockhart, Needles District, Beef Basin, Comb Wash, Poison, Flint trail, Dry Canyon, 9mile. Nothing extreme except the scenery. Maybe end of March.....
Yah I'd be up for that ride. I need to check a couple of those boxes too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Where am I going you ask.... I dunno really
just THATAWAY!!
dakardad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #21048
Ryman
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Oddometer: 740


Using Google Earth to plan a route for spring and I come across this pic of a well known Utard in "Deathstar Canyon".
I want to launch this thing.
__________________

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #21049
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 15,884
With those tracks it looks like he's following one of these.....

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #21050
Double Moo
lookin' for adventure
 
Double Moo's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Salt Lake City
Oddometer: 1,090
A view through the Portal and I spy Jim...


http://expeditionportal.com/resource...h-tablets.html
__________________
"Rember... Wherever you go... there you are"
Buckaroo Banzai
Double Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #21051
GISkev
wwfsmd?
 
GISkev's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: UT
Oddometer: 1,653
death star cyn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman View Post


Using Google Earth to plan a route for spring and I come across this pic of a well known Utard in "Deathstar Canyon".
I want to launch this thing.
We found "death star cyn" by luck, and I measured it at a bit over 2 miles long. That's pretty far considering that there's no way out except each end.

Tablets: I turned Harcus onto the Galaxy Tab 2 7" cuz there are cheap. I had trouble with mine over 105 degrees. It said that the battery was too hot so it wouldn't charge till it cooled off. I have a samsung rugby pro (smart phone) that is military grade rugged, and I've not had the problem with that (yet). I may run the 2 side by side at different scales just for fun. Harcus does, but with a rec grade gps and the tablet.
__________________
Merge w the traffic, but don't go w the flow!

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #21052
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Park City, Utah
Oddometer: 1,212
Yup, they published it. But they also published the earlier version by accident with all of the typos including "Jim Harcus"...

Still neat though...
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #21053
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Park City, Utah
Oddometer: 1,212
Here are a couple pretty good ones "not selected for use on google earth" from that trip..







good times...
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #21054
buzzardair
Shrubbery Adventurer
 
buzzardair's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Moo View Post
A view through the Portal and I spy Jim...


http://expeditionportal.com/resource...h-tablets.html
Nice article!
buzzardair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #21055
KMC1
There is no spoon.
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Greater SLC
Oddometer: 2,176
50" width limitation?

I stopped into The Edge this weekend with the SO to check out their 1190, and while I was there SHE suddenly got very interested in the Arctic Cat side by side ATV's.....the ones they have are about the size of a small jeep....but way cooler looking....like freaking Baja racers.... This totally caught me by surprise as she typically has had very little interest in things like this.... I started looking into them a little and I ran across a mention of there being a 50" width limitation for vehicle trail use..... with all the riding I've done on the motorcycles, I'm sure I've gone past some of these signs, but honestly I've never known about this.

So my question us how much of an issue is that really? And since Arctic Cat and other companies are making these big side by sides.... They must be getting used somewhere, right? But it seems like a lot of cabbage to spend on something to basically go out fire roading with? I see they are introducing a "trail version" which will meet the 50" limitation in a month or two but you give up some handling and comfort going to the narrower chassis.

Any of you guys have any advice/feedback on this?

I've got to admit, the idea of getting something that her and I together could go out exploring/camping with - and that she is actually excited about - has me pretty excited about it too. One thing she has not done since we've moved here, is taken the opportunity to go off the beaten path and really see the West (and I have barely scratched the surface myself) and I think it would really help her to understand why I like to spend so much money on toys.....I mean will give her an appreciation for the area......
__________________
Obama says adding $4 trillion to debt is unpatriotic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kuTG19Cu_Q&sns=em

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #21056
Ryman
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Oddometer: 740
I have learned not to shadow box with the GIS dude. Last time I got kicked in the TESTIES.........hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
Here are a couple pretty good ones "not selected for use on google earth" from that trip..


__________________

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:00 PM   #21057
harcus
Beastly Adventurer
 
harcus's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Edge of the Wasatch
Oddometer: 1,298
Cherry Creek

In the interest of science, we (Fano, Steve n I) went to Cherry Creek yesterday to evaluate environmental conditions. Fano had checked all his favorite cams & found most locations (5 mile, Knolls, Wendover, etc) looked pretty white. So, since there was no cam at CC, we went there. What you don't know...

After driving over many miles of ice covered roads we parked near CC & unloaded...



Hmmm... About 6 in of white makes everything much prettier.

Not to be deterred, we hit the trail. Here is Fano demonstrating the best technique on riding snow covered sand...



We did find a few brown spots...



The back side of the big sand pile...



Steve & Fano went over it well. I dug many trenches. More technique development required. Coming back down...



Riding this combo (snow frosting over a sand cake) was fun but challenging. If you were first, everything was beautiful. Where'd they go?..



If you were third, it was beyond ugly. It seems that the previous tracks worked much like crossing a rail road... your bike's tires followed any track crossed at any angle causing you some real excitement by throwing you in all unexpected (& usually unrecoverable) directions.

Conclusion - Just get out of the track (if possible) & go cut a new one!

We ended the day right on schedule - Dark n cold. Add to that an uncooperative 4 wd on the tow car, it was a late return to the city.

What better way to spend a Sunday?
__________________
Want Creative Adventure Products? - See Globetrottin.com

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #21058
harcus
Beastly Adventurer
 
harcus's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Edge of the Wasatch
Oddometer: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
Yup, they published it. But they also published the earlier version by accident with all of the typos including "Jim Harcus"...

Still neat though...
My new "nom de plume"...
__________________
Want Creative Adventure Products? - See Globetrottin.com

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #21059
Double Moo
lookin' for adventure
 
Double Moo's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Salt Lake City
Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
I stopped into The Edge this weekend with the SO to check out their 1190, and while I was there SHE suddenly got very interested in the Arctic Cat side by side ATV's.....the ones they have are about the size of a small jeep....but way cooler looking....like freaking Baja racers.... This totally caught me by surprise as she typically has had very little interest in things like this.... I started looking into them a little and I ran across a mention of there being a 50" width limitation for vehicle trail use..... with all the riding I've done on the motorcycles, I'm sure I've gone past some of these signs, but honestly I've never known about this.

So my question us how much of an issue is that really? And since Arctic Cat and other companies are making these big side by sides.... They must be getting used somewhere, right? But it seems like a lot of cabbage to spend on something to basically go out fire roading with? I see they are introducing a "trail version" which will meet the 50" limitation in a month or two but you give up some handling and comfort going to the narrower chassis.

Any of you guys have any advice/feedback on this?

I've got to admit, the idea of getting something that her and I together could go out exploring/camping with - and that she is actually excited about - has me pretty excited about it too. One thing she has not done since we've moved here, is taken the opportunity to go off the beaten path and really see the West (and I have barely scratched the surface myself) and I think it would really help her to understand why I like to spend so much money on toys.....I mean will give her an appreciation for the area......
MY wife had the same discussion with me in 2011 - which resulted in the purchase of a new Can Am Commander. An awesome machine that we a hoot to drive in pretty much all conditions. This spring I sold it with 340 miles on it! - pretty sad usage for 2 years old. I found that she very rarey wanted to go, and I would rather ride my bike than the SxS. I used it for hunting trips and a few ties outin the desert. Pluric gets good use out of his... it just wasn't for me. (but 85 HP and 74 imles an hour was quite a rush)
__________________
"Rember... Wherever you go... there you are"
Buckaroo Banzai
Double Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #21060
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 15,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Moo View Post
MY wife had the same discussion with me in 2011 - which resulted in the purchase of a new Can Am Commander. An awesome machine that we a hoot to drive in pretty much all conditions. This spring I sold it with 340 miles on it! - pretty sad usage for 2 years old. I found that she very rarey wanted to go, and I would rather ride my bike than the SxS. I used it for hunting trips and a few ties outin the desert. Pluric gets good use out of his... it just wasn't for me. (but 85 HP and 74 imles an hour was quite a rush)
It's true. I think they are quite fun.

Kevin you really need to think about how you would really use it.
The high horsepower long travel suspension stuff looks pretty trick. If you do a lot of sand or open
desert maybe it's the machine for you.

I bought the Rhino because I wanted a more utility type sideXside. Most my use is in the mountains
behind Bear Lake. I could never use the power of the sport sideXside. I'm hauling stuff to the beach
and the grandkid rides in the back now. The largest market is in the workhorse utility side of UTVs.
Even Polaris sells more Rangers than Razors.

The width thing is becoming more of an issue. Several trails now have forest service installed
upright logs that you have to be able to fit between to use a trail. Look and you will find
50" designated UTVs so you know the market is aware of trail restrictions.

I'm not ready to give up bikes yet, but it is awful hard to get four people on the KLX.

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014