ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #21061
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post
In the interest of science, we (Fano, Steve n I) went to Cherry Creek yesterday to evaluate environmental conditions. Fano had checked all his favorite cams & found most locations (5 mile, Knolls, Wendover, etc) looked pretty white. So, since there was no cam at CC, we went there. What you don't know...

After driving over many miles of ice covered roads we parked near CC & unloaded...

If you were third, it was beyond ugly. It seems that the previous tracks worked much like crossing a rail road... your bike's tires followed any track crossed at any angle causing you some real excitement by throwing you in all unexpected (& usually unrecoverable) directions.

Conclusion - Just get out of the track (if possible) & go cut a new one!

We ended the day right on schedule - Dark n cold. Add to that an uncooperative 4 wd on the tow car, it was a late return to the city.

What better way to spend a Sunday?
Props to you guys! This gives me shrinkage just thinking about it....

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #21062
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
It's true. I think they are quite fun.

Kevin you really need to think about how you would really use it.
The high horsepower long travel suspension stuff looks pretty trick. If you do a lot of sand or open
desert maybe it's the machine for you.

I bought the Rhino because I wanted a more utility type sideXside. Most my use is in the mountains
behind Bear Lake. I could never use the power of the sport sideXside. I'm hauling stuff to the beach
and the grandkid rides in the back now. The largest market is in the workhorse utility side of UTVs.
Even Polaris sells more Rangers than Razors.

The width thing is becoming more of an issue. Several trails now have forest service installed
upright logs that you have to be able to fit between to use a trail. Look and you will find
50" designated UTVs so you know the market is aware of trail restrictions.

I'm not ready to give up bikes yet, but it is awful hard to get four people on the KLX.

I really appreciate the feedback guys. The bit about her not going very often is a real possibility with my SO.... I am worried that after about 1 mosquito bite she'll wave and tell me to have a good time as I leave the driveway...
In regards to usage....I don't really know for sure...I like the bigger buggy style because it's a bit roomier and I have to think more stable, but what I have in mind is just taking her offroad exploring and light camping..... But I'm concerned about running into this width limitation I wasn't aware of and either getting into trouble or not being able to go into the neat places I want to explore with her. To be honest though, she's so tiny and is not very brave, so I highly doubt she could handle the jostling of real trail riding very long anyway, so we would pretty much keep it pretty mellow 95% of the time.

I don't think we would have passengers with us often enough for it to be a consideration, so at least at this point don't have the 4 sweater versions in mind. The new Wildcat XT Trail that's coming out looks cool and meets the width limit, but it's a bit tighter for someone as svelte as myself which is a consideration...and the narrower ones are definitely more tippy....

There's going to be a demo day in February up at the knolls....I think I'm going to schedule to be there and get the chance to try them out a bit if anyone wants to join in.

Again, I really appreciate the feedback guys!

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
Old 12-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #21063
Double Moo
lookin' for adventure

Oddometer: 1,149
I went with the Can/Am because it rode like a cacdillac compared to the others I drove. The deep bucket seats were awesome for long days driving, and popped out to sit in comfort arount the camp fire = add to that tilt steering wheel, adjustable seat, and power steering. 10" of travel soaked up the bumps and kept the wife comfy. Also having 150-180 mile range was a plus. For hunting it was harder to get in and out of compared to my BIL's Ranger. I second Rick's opinion the untility side being important - again the cmmander had a tilt bed that had a lower level covered trunk with a 600 lb capacity... it was rated to tow 2000 lbs, and came stock with a 4000 lb winch. If I was to do it again I would probably go back to CanAm - I wanted a utility SxS that could play the sport side when needed. (sorry to sound like an advertisement). They're all pretty pricey anymore - make sure you are committed!!

Double Moo screwed with this post 12-30-2013 at 10:27 PM
Double Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:53 AM   #21064
fano
here and there

Oddometer: 641
If skiing sucks, couch is getting old and St George is too far, there is always Cherry Creek

05 KTM 450 MXC , 01 Triumph Tiger 955i
04 KTM 950 ADV , 00 Husaberg 501FE
04 GasGas TXT300 PRO , 70 Jawa 250
fano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #21065
pluric
Banned

Oddometer: 16,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by fano View Post
If skiing sucks, couch is getting old and St George is too far, there is always Cherry Creek

Needs more sideXside.

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #21066
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
I really appreciate the feedback guys. The bit about her not going very often is a real possibility with my SO.... I am worried that after about 1 mosquito bite she'll wave and tell me to have a good time as I leave the driveway...
In regards to usage....I don't really know for sure...I like the bigger buggy style because it's a bit roomier and I have to think more stable, but what I have in mind is just taking her offroad exploring and light camping..... But I'm concerned about running into this width limitation I wasn't aware of and either getting into trouble or not being able to go into the neat places I want to explore with her. To be honest though, she's so tiny and is not very brave, so I highly doubt she could handle the jostling of real trail riding very long anyway, so we would pretty much keep it pretty mellow 95% of the time.

I don't think we would have passengers with us often enough for it to be a consideration, so at least at this point don't have the 4 sweater versions in mind. The new Wildcat XT Trail that's coming out looks cool and meets the width limit, but it's a bit tighter for someone as svelte as myself which is a consideration...and the narrower ones are definitely more tippy....

There's going to be a demo day in February up at the knolls....I think I'm going to schedule to be there and get the chance to try them out a bit if anyone wants to join in.

Again, I really appreciate the feedback guys!
Quote:
Yesterday 10:14 PM Double Moo

I went with the Can/Am because it rode like a cacdillac compared to the others I drove. The deep bucket seats were awesome for long days driving, and popped out to sit in comfort arount the camp fire = add to that tilt steering wheel, adjustable seat, and power steering. 10" of travel soaked up the bumps and kept the wife comfy. Also having 150-180 mile range was a plus. For hunting it was harder to get in and out of compared to my BIL's Ranger. I second Rick's opinion the untility side being important - again the cmmander had a tilt bed that had a lower level covered trunk with a 600 lb capacity... it was rated to tow 2000 lbs, and came stock with a 4000 lb winch. If I was to do it again I would probably go back to CanAm - I wanted a utility SxS that could play the sport side when needed. (sorry to sound like an advertisement). They're all pretty pricey anymore - make sure you are committed!!
KMac......There's only one way to make sure she engages in the sport and stays engaged.......have her buy, license and be responsible for the rig.....who says the guy has to buy all the toys.....professional women make good money these days....Happy New year........

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:31 PM   #21067
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by fano View Post
St. George too far????
You can ride in snow there too.

But the tacky wet dirt and sand is hard too beat.
...and dont forget about the mid 50's

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:40 PM   #21068
pluric
Banned

Oddometer: 16,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
KMac......There's only one way to make sure she engages in the sport and stays engaged.......have her buy, license and be responsible for the rig.....who says the guy has to buy all the toys.....professional women make good money these days....Happy New year........

I think it's because you are over paying them.

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:00 PM   #21069
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Quote:

I literally laughed out loud at this one.... Holy shit.... I'm totally saving that picture!

If one of my ho's came back to me with that little in her pocket, it's because she be stealing my money yo!

Old 12-31-2013, 03:02 PM   #21070
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post

Funny thing is I believe she would buy it...lol... Of course when you're as good looking as I am, you just kind of get used to the womenz buying stuff for you.....

But point taken..... Chuz those side by sides ain't cheap.....

Old 12-31-2013, 04:00 PM   #21071
fano
here and there

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGOI View Post
St. George too far????
You can ride in snow there too
Too far for a day ride
When was this? I was thinking to go there in a couple of weeks to escape this snowy wonderland.

05 KTM 450 MXC , 01 Triumph Tiger 955i
04 KTM 950 ADV , 00 Husaberg 501FE
04 GasGas TXT300 PRO , 70 Jawa 250
fano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:28 PM   #21072
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,876
Quote:
Funny thing is I believe she would buy it...lol... Of course when you're as good looking as I am, you just kind of get used to the womenz buying stuff for you.....

But point taken..... Chuz those side by sides ain't cheap.....
Quote:

KMac, you and plurac need a night out together......
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:31 PM   #21073
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
I stopped into The Edge this weekend with the SO to check out their 1190, and while I was there SHE suddenly got very interested in the Arctic Cat side by side ATV's.....the ones they have are about the size of a small jeep....but way cooler looking....like freaking Baja racers.... This totally caught me by surprise as she typically has had very little interest in things like this.... I started looking into them a little and I ran across a mention of there being a 50" width limitation for vehicle trail use..... with all the riding I've done on the motorcycles, I'm sure I've gone past some of these signs, but honestly I've never known about this.

So my question us how much of an issue is that really? And since Arctic Cat and other companies are making these big side by sides.... They must be getting used somewhere, right? But it seems like a lot of cabbage to spend on something to basically go out fire roading with? I see they are introducing a "trail version" which will meet the 50" limitation in a month or two but you give up some handling and comfort going to the narrower chassis.

Any of you guys have any advice/feedback on this?

I've got to admit, the idea of getting something that her and I together could go out exploring/camping with - and that she is actually excited about - has me pretty excited about it too. One thing she has not done since we've moved here, is taken the opportunity to go off the beaten path and really see the West (and I have barely scratched the surface myself) and I think it would really help her to understand why I like to spend so much money on toys.....I mean will give her an appreciation for the area......
Careful! You are about to walk into a common female trap! A survey will show that 98% of the men on this forum have felt that same warm rush when their SO said "Gee, that's cute!". Maybe 75% went so far as to buy a toy thinking "we will get family time". Ha! It is a mirage!

My no 2 son fell for this about 2 years ago, bought a nice 4 wd quad for the wifey. They go riding into the hills one day, the quad jiggles sideways, she braces herself with her hand causing a pain in the wrist.

Never got on the quad again. It sold 1+ years later at a profit to be applied to a 990. Everyone is far happier.

Very few women will deal with the noise, dirt, vibration, risk, etc involved with off road vehicles.

Best way to test the water? Come warm weather go rent a buggy, take her for a ride at 5 mile & watch the response.

There is a .0002% chance she will say "More, More, More"!

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #21074
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
Needs more sideXside.

You are such a Topper! Your tip over looks FAR more dramatic than any of ours!

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:36 PM   #21075
Roostre
Discombobulated

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post
There is a .0002% chance she will say "More, More, More"!

Damn...I must be the luckiest guy on the planet!
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote