ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional Forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2014, 06:32 PM   #21646
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 9,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickhorn View Post
Continuing my effort to establish the patina on the Walrus' old bike, I bailed late Saturday afternoon from my Uncle's funeral to hit the west desert. Met up with a friend in Butterfield Canyon and blasted over the top, then over Johnson Pass and out towards the Pony Express...We were ambitious and hoped to make camp in the Deep Creeks by nightfall but the dark caught us a few miles short.... The evening riding was spectacular tho..

A nice 426 mile day from camp back home to Park City, over 300 of that was dirt. Now have about 1100 miles of patina on this bike since I got it, almost time for a new tire..

And here I thought that bike was an out-of-state moto.....
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:57 AM   #21647
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,802
ride the loop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickhorn View Post
You'll notice my tracks on the inside of the tube there... It's a tricky landing when you shoot out of it, so you just have to lean!
Old 07-29-2014, 07:58 AM   #21648
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
slickhorn... awesome!
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:48 PM   #21649
buzzardair
Shrubbery Adventurer

Oddometer: 303

Front page material!
buzzardair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:46 PM   #21650
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
Does anyone know the story behind the 690e rally bike at Edge on consignment? Pretty awesome looking bike...
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...20690&ad_cid=3

Also, I rode the Crest on Saturday morning with a buddy and saw a rider on another 690e with a rally fairing in the parking lot. Anyone on this site?

Cheers, Andre

I stopped wondering after hearing the price. Sweet machine though.

Not sure where is 'the Crest', but I was on my new-to-me 690E Saturday. Guardsman - Hwy 150 - Spring Canyon - North slope road then back. Sorry no photos.
Trailtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:10 PM   #21651
GISkev
wwfsmd?

tomorrow

Splitting @ 1:30 w dch on light bikes. Pm if u can do. Some slab to get to epic dirt
Old 07-29-2014, 09:15 PM   #21652
GISkev
wwfsmd?

context

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailtwister View Post
I stopped wondering after hearing the price. Sweet machine though
Stoopid front end on that, but I'd take the rest. New tech makes that rally fairing look like the short bus so to speak.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:47 PM   #21653
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev View Post
Stoopid front end on that, but I'd take the rest. New tech makes that rally fairing look like the short bus so to speak.
Good point, Kev. Please pardon me while I wax philosophic....

I love my 950 Adv-S. Its just a BigAss DirtBike, yaknow. I can totally relate with Slickhorn (*and* his hand-me-down patina). Comfy all day long at 90 mph, *and* capable at 9 mph and 12" step-ups. But don't drop it. If I'm alone, and it's not dry and level, I'm farched. Of course I'm kinda tall and skinny (but good looking!). I once stopped a jeepful of Mormon teens with my good looks, to ask for help out of a bigass mudpuddle. It was daddy's jeep, and we got all muddy. I tried to offer a beer in exchange, but no... In retrospect, I should've given 'em a forty for the full carwash, carpet shampoo treatment.

So I'm kinda interested in a MediumAss DirtBike, something good for the freeway or the trail, but not so darned attracted to the center of the earth.

Mixed feelings about the 690, not in love yet. I like the fairing, and my (BADB-borrowed) clear windshield are great for high-speed freeway or on the pegs on a graded road. It seldom bottoms out, quicker response, occasionally leaves a gap between tire and dirt, and way faster stopping. But eventually I'll slide into home base on that fairing, and without a crash bar.

Plus there's no friggin subframe to hang my beer cooler from. ... Oh and the tent and the sleeping bag.

What about the tall-ass headlight shroud thingy from Harcus. Does it cut the wind much? Maybe a 500 EXC with something like that with a luggage rack. ?

Ok, I feel better now. I shouldn't have kept it pent up so long. Thanks for listening. I love you guys.
Trailtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:22 PM   #21654
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 17,470
Quote:

I love my 950 Adv-S. Its just a BigAss DirtBike, yaknow. I can totally relate with Slickhorn (*and* his hand-me-down patina). Comfy all day long at 90 mph, *and* capable at 9 mph and 12" step-ups. But don't drop it. If I'm alone, and it's not dry and level, I'm farched. Of course I'm kinda tall and skinny (but good looking!). I once stopped a jeepful of Mormon teens with my good looks, to ask for help out of a bigass mudpuddle. It was daddy's jeep, and we got all muddy. I tried to offer a beer in exchange, but no... In retrospect, I should've given 'em a forty for the full carwash, carpet shampoo treatment.

So I'm kinda interested in a MediumAss DirtBike, something good for the freeway or the trail, but not so darned attracted to the center of the earth.

Mixed feelings about the 690, not in love yet. I like the fairing, and my (BADB-borrowed) clear windshield are great for high-speed freeway or on the pegs on a graded road. It seldom bottoms out, quicker response, occasionally leaves a gap between tire and dirt, and way faster stopping. But eventually I'll slide into home base on that fairing, and without a crash bar.

Plus there's no friggin subframe to hang my beer cooler from. ... Oh and the tent and the sleeping bag.

What about the tall-ass headlight shroud thingy from Harcus. Does it cut the wind much? Maybe a 500 EXC with something like that with a luggage rack. ?

Ok, I feel better now. I shouldn't have kept it pent up so long. Thanks for listening. I love you guys.
What ever you do.... do not pour that guy another beer.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:14 AM   #21655
Slickhorn
Professional Dirt Bag

Oddometer: 106
Quote:

For some reason picking up the 990 doesn't seem near as hard as the old Tiger and the weights are similar. My plated 525 MXC with the Giant Loop has been great for 5-6 day trips in the dirt, but I don't enjoy it much on the slabs and it's definitely not much fun at 90 on the highway with traffic around. There is just no such thing as the perfect bike that does everything well, I think you always compromise something, somewhere... As for the beer cooler problem, I just drink whiskey...

2008 KTM 990 ADV 990i
2005 KTM 525 MXC
99 Triumph Tiger 885i
Slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:31 AM   #21656
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

This guy here..

Had a complete blast with Kev-o in the west desert yesterday through dusk... About 150 miles, no dust at all awesome temps and absolutely gorgeous! Nice to be able to briefly get out there again....
Old 07-31-2014, 08:51 AM   #21657
GISkev
wwfsmd?

dirt goodness

This is below Jacob City...

...and little moab

splendid time was guaranteed for all!
Old 07-31-2014, 10:27 AM   #21658
Proveick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,932
Mosquito and Weston Pass

If anyone is interested in doing a loop this Sat. or Sun. PM me
I'm leaving from CO Springs.
Cheers

Proveick screwed with this post 07-31-2014 at 06:15 PM
Proveick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:37 PM   #21659
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Engine Temps?

I just replaced my trail tech vapor speedo computer thing and it has a light that comes on when the bike is getting hot, and another that comes on when its so hot you should freak out. It's a custom setting, so any KTM RFS riders out there could win a huge slicer tomato and a dozen fresh farm eggs if you can tell me what's the right operating temp for my RFS, meaning, where should i set those warnings!

I found that moving awhile at decent speed ran around 170F and climbing goat trails got up to 220F. It was about 90F outside i'd guess.

thotz?
Old 07-31-2014, 10:51 PM   #21660
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

I think 220 is fine off the top of my head... I think at 240 to 250 is when it gets bad. Also I seem to remember that one has a reservoir bottle for the coolant, but it's designed to have a little space of air at the top of the radiator. Either way is fine...