ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2014, 07:30 AM   #21751
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,158
Does anyone here have a DR650 with the GSXR exhaust on it? I have one I bought last year and it's missing parts, and I can't figure out how to make it fit properly without replacing the whole darn lot of it. I was hoping that by looking at one that was put together properly, it would help me out.
Mine rattles, flops around, and exhaust exits the front of the can, at the joint.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:45 AM   #21752
2wheeladv
Lost & lov'n it

Oddometer: 222
My new girl friend

OK, I've been a die hard BMW dual sport bike rider and put a lot of miles on a 1200GSA and an 800GS. Over the years I've rode with a lot of KTM riders and usually enjoyed a long nap or snack while they worked on their bikes during our rides.

The KTM 1190R has changed everything. I purchased the 1190R two weeks a go in St Louis, MO and rode it 1,600 miles to get home. The bike handled nice, but its hard to tell on 1,600 miles of slab. After prepping the bike for my riding style (crash bars and skid plate are a must, plus a few other farkles and a new pair of shoes (Mefos rears, TKC front) I took her for the first off road ride today. HOLY $h!t. She may be a little overweight but she rocks it in the dirt. The 1190R is light on its feet, much more responsive in the dirt. The Beemers always felt dead off-road. I always felt like I was riding a pimped out road bike, even after all the suspension (Ohlins front/rear) work on the 800GS. The 1190R is basically a 500# dirt bike. Very impressed with this sled. Can't wait to put a lot more miles on it.

Anyone up for the COBDR in August?

'06 Big Dog K-9
'03 HD Road King 100 YR '69 Triumph 650cc
2wheeladv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #21753
Digger52
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
[QUOTE=2wheeladv;24548549]OK, I've been a die hard BMW dual sport bike rider and put a lot of miles on a 1200GSA and an 800GS. Over the years I've rode with a lot of KTM riders and usually enjoyed a long nap or snack while they worked on their bikes during our rides.

The KTM 1190R has changed everything. I purchased the 1190R two weeks a go in St Louis, MO and rode it 1,600 miles to get home. The bike handled nice, but its hard to tell on 1,600 miles of slab. After prepping the bike for my riding style (crash bars and skid plate are a must, plus a few other farkles and a new pair of shoes (Mefos rears, TKC front) I took her for the first off road ride today. HOLY $h!t. She may be a little overweight but she rocks it in the dirt. The 1190R is light on its feet, much more responsive in the dirt. The Beemers always felt dead off-road. I always felt like I was riding a pimped out road bike, even after all the suspension (Ohlins front/rear) work on the 800GS. The 1190R is basically a 500# dirt bike. Very impressed with this sled. Can't wait to put a lot more miles on it.

Congrats on the new ride Kevin sweet looking bike. Glad to see the knee is all healed up and you're back in the dirt. Pluric won't be able to keep up with you now! I upgraded my ride too, gave the 650GS to my son and bought a 1200GS and having fun.
Digger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:34 PM   #21754
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeladv View Post
OK, I've been a die hard BMW dual sport bike rider and put a lot of miles on a 1200GSA and an 800GS. Over the years I've rode with a lot of KTM riders and usually enjoyed a long nap or snack while they worked on their bikes during our rides.

It's good to see that that you are a man of discriminating tastes & that you have broken some of your past bad habits.

BTW, the preferred term is "Big Ass Dirt Bike" or BADB for short. That was the proper handle for the 950 / 990 so it seems proper that the 1190 would be a BADBS (big ass dirt bike on steroids).

I recently did a similar move & upgraded my ST1300 to a 1190 R. My oldest son bought the ST1300. Here is a pic of the 1190 on a shake down / ST delivery cruise at Flaming Gorge....

And the happy new owner of the ST1300 at Rock Springs...

Mine won't get dirty for a while since the 990 did not want to leave. At this point it is a dedicated parts development mule / test bed / street bike which it does quite well.

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:34 PM   #21755
fano
here and there

Oddometer: 650
One more clip of Schylar doing AF on his Tiger

05 KTM 450 MXC , 01 Triumph Tiger 955i
04 KTM 950 ADV , 00 Husaberg 501FE
04 GasGas TXT300 PRO , 70 Jawa 250

fano screwed with this post 07-05-2014 at 08:43 PM
fano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:36 PM   #21756
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger52 View Post
[

Congrats on the new ride Kevin sweet looking bike. Glad to see the knee is all healed up and you're back in the dirt. Pluric won't be able to keep up with you now! I upgraded my ride too, gave the 650GS to my son and bought a 1200GS and having fun.
Is running with a 60 year old man the new criteria???

Where's Harcus when I need him? At least the weapons will be equal.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:21 PM   #21757
warp9man
Gravel in my Travel

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw View Post
Does anyone here have a DR650 with the GSXR exhaust on it? I have one I bought last year and it's missing parts, and I can't figure out how to make it fit properly without replacing the whole darn lot of it. I was hoping that by looking at one that was put together properly, it would help me out.
Mine rattles, flops around, and exhaust exits the front of the can, at the joint.
I have one on my DR and im in farmington if you want to check it out PM me
warp9man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:37 PM   #21758
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 915
Schylar,

That is awesome.

-Phil
pilo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:07 AM   #21759
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,771
next weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Moo View Post
I was thinking Reno-Red Bluff-Fortuna then north up the coast of cool air....
I have business in San Diego so I'm locked in to a Southern route...

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #21760
2wheelust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
any ideas

So mid roadtrip my pannier lid and I got into a fight, she said some things, I said some things, she left in a flurry at 75mph on the freeway taking some of my things (like they always do). We have had time to cool off and are back together, trying to make things work. However these things can linger and have lasting affect, so we are looking for third party input.
[IMG] photo photo2-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG] photo photo1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG] photo photo3.jpg[/IMG]

The manufacturer is out of business (Moto-sport). Anyone know a good option for reworking the old lid or having a custom one built. Moto is about to go for sale and would like to have a complete luggage to go with it.

Kev, sorry I can't come play on the San Diego strafing run. Couldn't get the time off work for both weekends. Its was toasty for sure two weeks ago running across CA... "But officer I was only going this fast for cooling affect! Heat stroke while riding is a serious safety concern! Sir." Have a good run.
2wheelust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #21761
Kanook
Adventure zymologist

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelust View Post
So mid roadtrip my pannier lid and I got into a fight, she said some things, I said some things, she left in a flurry at 75mph on the freeway taking some of my things (like they always do). We have had time to cool off and are back together, trying to make things work. However these things can linger and have lasting affect, so we are looking for third party input.

The manufacturer is out of business (Moto-sport). Anyone know a good option for reworking the old lid or having a custom one built. Moto is about to go for sale and would like to have a complete luggage to go with it.

Kev, sorry I can't come play on the San Diego strafing run. Couldn't get the time off work for both weekends. Its was toasty for sure two weeks ago running across CA... "But officer I was only going this fast for cooling affect! Heat stroke while riding is a serious safety concern! Sir." Have a good run.
Happy trails boxes look similar. They may be able to hook you up.
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Kanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:48 PM   #21762
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanook View Post
Happy trails boxes look similar. They may be able to hook you up.
If anybody has an auto body shop connection locally, I'd bet there's a solution there.....
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #21763
Double Moo
lookin' for adventure

Oddometer: 1,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev View Post
I have business in San Diego so I'm locked in to a Southern route...
That's a long way to haul tomatos and eggs...
Old 07-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #21764
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Is running with a 60 year old man the new criteria???

Where's Harcus when I need him? At least the weapons will be equal.
Good point. They could ride with me & take credit for running with a 67 YO man.

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
Old 07-06-2014, 09:45 PM   #21765
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelust View Post

That is pretty sad. It is quite challenging to straighten out alum & make it look like new.