ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #13621
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 16,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead View Post
It's not top heavy, it just looks like it. It's foam/fiberglass, and probably not much, if any heavier than a stock Sami with a fiberglass hard cover. All the weight will be right over the rear axle (water tank, etc). There will be nothing but 2" foam and 3 layers of glass 1ft above the wheels.

I have no plans for rock crawling. I'd rather put my dick in a blender than go rock crawling at 1mph all day. If it comes to rock crawling, I'll park and hike, that's more fun.

This is mostly for fire roads, remote camping with family, etc. If I want to go rock crawling, I'll ride my moto and do it at 30mph.

Stuff like this........is what I want to do. Stuff I can take my wife and kid on that normally they would never see. Drive, camp, hike, drink whiskey, pass out.


Hmmmm.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #13622
trackhead
Utard Wankster
 
trackhead's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Transient
Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Hmmmm.
There you go!
__________________
Utah Moto Ride Reports
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:13 PM   #13623
nrspence
Adventurer
 
nrspence's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Pleasant grove, Utah
Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead View Post
It's not top heavy, it just looks like it. It's foam/fiberglass, and probably not much, if any heavier than a stock Sami with a fiberglass hard cover. All the weight will be right over the rear axle (water tank, etc). There will be nothing but 2" foam and 3 layers of glass 1ft above the wheels.

I have no plans for rock crawling. I'd rather put my dick in a blender than go rock crawling at 1mph all day. If it comes to rock crawling, I'll park and hike, that's more fun.

This is mostly for fire roads, remote camping with family, etc. If I want to go rock crawling, I'll ride my moto and do it at 30mph.

Stuff like this........is what I want to do. Stuff I can take my wife and kid on that normally they would never see. Drive, camp, hike, drink whiskey, pass out.




So yes an expedition type vehicle. I'm leaning your way on how i use my Tacoma. I've built a few early model toyota pickups for rockcrawling, but that stuff don't tickle my fancy these days. Exploring and seeing sights that most don't is my enjoyment.
nrspence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #13624
trackhead
Utard Wankster
 
trackhead's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Transient
Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrspence View Post
Exploring and seeing sights that most don't is my enjoyment.
Yup, for the past while I get back from a moto trip jabbering my jaw about all the cool places I saw to my wife. Now we can both go, albeit at a slower pace but with more luxurious camping when we get there.

The moto is the perfect recon tool to see if it's a place you'd like to take your family. I'm already smoking the crack pipe and breathing deep on it, conjuring up all sorts of stupid stuff to do.
__________________
Utah Moto Ride Reports
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #13625
GISkev
wwfsmd?
 
GISkev's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: UT
Oddometer: 1,688
recon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead View Post
Yup, for the past while I get back from a moto trip jabbering my jaw about all the cool places I saw to my wife. Now we can both go, albeit at a slower pace but with more luxurious camping when we get there.

The moto is the perfect recon tool to see if it's a place you'd like to take your family. I'm already smoking the crack pipe and breathing deep on it, conjuring up all sorts of stupid stuff to do.
Strawberry ridge in a truck seems EPIC since you can't ride it at 60 mph! It takes all weekend (rather than a few hours). I did that in my nissan frontier and thought it quite nice, and then went back w/ my trendy bike.
__________________
Merge w the traffic, but don't go w the flow!

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:47 PM   #13626
harcus
Beastly Adventurer
 
harcus's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Edge of the Wasatch
Oddometer: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead View Post
Haven't worked on interior yet. Trying to finish the outside first.

I used West System 105 so the epoxy wouldn't dissolve the foam. Then used a really heavy chop strand mat for build up. Then bondo and a million hours of sanding, still a ton to go. The hardest part has been the inverted parts like the wheel wells and a few other spots. You have to use lighter fiberglass and build more layers, or it just peels off during drying. Overall it's incredibly strong and very light.
West Sys is good stuff but not cheap. I used that on my cedar strip canoes so the color would be more natural.

For future reference, urethane foam can be used with polyester resin with good results. Utah Foam sells it. I made a 100 qt canooler (dedicated canoe cooler) with this material successfully.
__________________
Want Creative Adventure Products? - See Globetrottin.com

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:54 PM   #13627
harcus
Beastly Adventurer
 
harcus's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Edge of the Wasatch
Oddometer: 1,305
Camper

TH

Have you seen this rig?

http://www.earthroamer.com/

These guys started several years ago with a Dodge diesel from Tooele. Everything is diesel, stove, water heater, etc.

Check the price....and they seem to sell them.
__________________
Want Creative Adventure Products? - See Globetrottin.com

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:26 AM   #13628
trackhead
Utard Wankster
 
trackhead's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Transient
Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post

For future reference, urethane foam can be used with polyester resin with good results. Utah Foam sells it. I made a 100 qt canooler (dedicated canoe cooler) with this material successfully.
That's good to know, and probably far cheaper than West 105.

Yeah, I've seen the Earth Roamer. I wonder who can afford those things? If I owned one of those, I'd be to pansy ass to use it because they are priced so ridiculously high. Crazy nice builds though.
__________________
Utah Moto Ride Reports
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:14 AM   #13629
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!
 
Utah Bones's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Brain in Utah but homeless in Wisconsin....
Oddometer: 1,601
This Jason West fella from Vernal has made some headlines paying his bill with pennies... He was in the Wisconsin paper and on Yahoo this morning, UTAH in the house!
__________________
Cold PBR a weber grill and the rocky mountains,...it all goes away!
Utah Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:32 AM   #13630
trackhead
Utard Wankster
 
trackhead's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Transient
Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeti1 View Post
This Jason West fella from Vernal has made some headlines paying his bill with pennies... He was in the Wisconsin paper and on Yahoo this morning, UTAH in the house!
Awesome, but how silly that pennies can't be considered legit currency? WTF?
__________________
Utah Moto Ride Reports
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:49 AM   #13631
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 16,020
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=15825147

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=15855524
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:14 AM   #13632
a1one
a1one-numero uno-saucy
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Bike de Barrio
Oddometer: 302
Eh? Trendy bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev View Post
Strawberry ridge in a truck seems EPIC since you can't ride it at 60 mph! It takes all weekend (rather than a few hours). I did that in my nissan frontier and thought it quite nice, and then went back w/ my trendy bike.
Trendy bike?! Ha Ha
__________________

a1one - 1 definition - numero uno. ... A1 Grand Prix · A1 Sauce · A1 Thick-N-Hearty NATIONWIDE·
a1one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #13633
HickOnACrick
Groovinator
 
HickOnACrick's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Utarded in Lubbuttock
Oddometer: 2,496
Trendy Bike?

You all know I bleed orange, and I must confess never to have ridden a mid-sized KTM for any appreciable distance, but I thought 2000 miles of BRP in Baja went pretty well - once she started.

I felt like the stock suspension was pretty plush - much more forgiving than the KTM stock, and I never bottomed out, even with all my gear and riding as hard as I dare.

I love the torque of the bike - it's basically dial-a-wheelie in lots of conditions, and it thumps along techy stuff pretty well. I admit that I love being able to drop a foot and reach terra firma - something that is hard to do on any KTM.

Update on the BRP - needed new valves, new rings, piston honed. I have finally received my Shorai battery and so I have some serious wiring to do.
__________________
KTM 500 XCW, BMW K1600GTL
950 SER 300 XC
Composites 101
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #13634
nrspence
Adventurer
 
nrspence's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Pleasant grove, Utah
Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1one View Post
Trendy bike?! Ha Ha
Yes all you XR Honda trendsters! building your forum bikes so everyone can think your cool! ha ha thats funny
nrspence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #13635
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 16,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick View Post
You all know I bleed orange, and I must confess never to have ridden a mid-sized KTM for any appreciable distance, but I thought 2000 miles of BRP in Baja went pretty well - once she started.

I felt like the stock suspension was pretty plush - much more forgiving than the KTM stock, and I never bottomed out, even with all my gear and riding as hard as I dare.

I love the torque of the bike - it's basically dial-a-wheelie in lots of conditions, and it thumps along techy stuff pretty well. I admit that I love being able to drop a foot and reach terra firma - something that is hard to do on any KTM.

Update on the BRP - needed new valves, new rings, piston honed. I have finally received my Shorai battery and so I have some serious wiring to do.

Your originality never ceases to amaze me.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014