Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
heetseeker OP
Hopelessly addicted

Oddometer: 370
Grand Canyon 08

First ride report, so shredd at will...

Some of my friends have been dropping like flys the past couple of years so I decided that i'm not waiting around for it to happen to me. I asked a buddy if he was interested in a road trip to the Grand Canyon and he was up for it. What he didn't tell ME, is that he invited 8 other "friends". 2 of whom backed out once they found out there would be a few 400+ mile days and a couple other who wish they had... Anyway, I live in sunny Wilton, CA which is just south of Sacramento CA out in the country.

Adios to the poochie and Wifey... Sorry, no pic of the poochie. April 26th.
[IMG][/IMG]

I met the guys in Elk Grove, North of me, for breakfast and hugs from the wives and some last minute packing. One of the riders sent his wife out to buy a tent he didn't have time for at the last minute. Haven't we been planning over a year?

Ready to go....where the hell is everyone?

[IMG][/IMG]

Sunny and cool on Hwy 88 out of Jackson, Ca. The guys are happy and no upbeat. Everyone is still figuring out the earplug/mp3 player thing at this point but lovin the ride none the less.

[IMG][/IMG]

Stopped for Sonic burgers in Nevada. I heard a " is this where we are staying for the night?" from one of the guys and it started to sink in that a few might not have maps with them....no biggie. I started to chuckle to myself at this point... Mount up, it off to the loneliest hwy....HWY 50.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

WTF??? Anyone bring extra shoes? The imfamous shoe tree on hwy 50.
[IMG][/IMG]

Little ol' Eureka, Nevada. One horse town, just my type. The camping situation turned out to be the town dog shit depository so we did some credit card camping. 385 miles, the longest ride ever for most of the guys. There were some grumpy sore butts at dinner time and after dinner, I overheard.." Is everyday going to be like this?"....Oh boy....just drink your beer, bar hopper...
[IMG][/IMG]

Dispite some sore asses, we decided to pound through to Moab, Utah the next day...over 470 miles away. We still had some hwy 50 to conquer so the decision was made. Off to Moab. My advice, take motrin before you start riding... Here is a shot at the fuel stop near the Utah state line. I guess I missed the "welcome to utah" sign...I would have liked to have taken a pic of that.
[IMG][/IMG]

On to Ely, NV and beyond
[IMG][/IMG]

Hello, Moab. Time for setting up camp, a pub and beers.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

The next day, we were going to see Arches NP and Canyonlands. Since we made up a day, we could stay 2 nights in Vegas. This idea would dissolve after I couldn't get the boys out of the racks in the morning. No biggie. We had coffee, the guys grumbled onto their steeds and off to Arches NP, close to Moab. We would stay in Moab another night.....right.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

The guys had so much fun, they almost forgot the monkey butt and back pain. They wanted to cook in camp to save some money so the grocery getter got going to the store. Here's a shot back in camp with wood, ice and beer...the essentials.
[IMG][/IMG]

Canyonlands NP
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

We hit the pub on the way to camp and spirits were high. I emptied my top box out, put in our dirty laundry..5 gallons of water and soap and did the canyonland ride with it on 'gentle cycle' all day. I forgot about it when I decided to take the off road trail back to camp. Not a good idea, though lessons relearned...Water is heavy and even 2.5% Utah beer, in large quantities can impair your judgement....some. Sorry, no pics of an upside down GS... Next day we take on the hwy 24 scenic byway. Great ride though the rubber sealer on the asphault fractures was slick as astroglide. Scared the shit out of me at first. Hangover gone, hang on, over?
[IMG][/IMG]Natural bridges

Down to 4 riders. We'll hook up later with the other 2. Seems that they missed their wives and booked on to Zion and a comfy hotel. The guys are needing a rest day. "Four days getting up 2hrs late IS 8 hrs of rest, right?".. Get going you barhoppers!.... They began discussions about voting me off the island...

[IMG][/IMG]
Ancient family picture
[IMG][/IMG]

More later...

PDMC 38x
heetseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,378
Awesome ride, report and pics....

mo' butter...

Old 05-19-2008, 07:23 PM   #3
heetseeker OP
Hopelessly addicted

Oddometer: 370
On with itq

We blasted through Hwy 24, took a left at 12 and wound up in a little pitstop called Boulder Utah. After crossing the 9600' summit and hearing that in might get down to 10 degrees this night, we decided to take our chances at a motel we heard about. Really nice place since we passed another with a beat up camper shell in the yard and goats running around the 'bed and breakfast' inn....i'll pass on THAT chainsaw massacre experience, thank you! The main motel was too hoity-toity and said they were full despite having 40+ rooms and seeing only 10 cars in the lot. I guess we were too ripe. Anyway, got a room at a place next to the Goat house. Nice looking, weird inn keeper. Lots of cats, worried about us bothering the other guests by our sinful drinking and carrying on outside. "You whackjob, it's fricken 25 degrees outside and.....er, I mean, "maa'm we'll push our bikes to the street in the morning so not to disturb your guests..."... She scoweld at us and was about to say "ok, just this time" when my buddy Mo, delirious with the days ride behind him says...." Hey woman, we're the Wild Hogs! Came to save the town but we left John Travolta back in Moab!". I erupted in laughter, Mo had a shit eatin grin on his face and the catwoman just stared us down and handed over the keys. "No fightin or carryin on". Okee dokee! We took the keys and went to the room. I could have slapped by buddy Mo upside his dumbass head. "Hey dipshit, did you happen to see the alternative lodging? Death by chainsaw or frozen solid in a tent....what's your pleasure?" It was 11 degrees that night on the summit.
The Road to Boulder, Utah.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Took a ride up a road just out of town that came reccomended by little miss equine cabesa waitress at the restaurant. The Burr Trail Rd. Great ride though one of the guys had a parking mishap where his bike took a nap with him on it. Damn Utah sand... Here's the Burr..
[IMG][/IMG]

On to Brice Canyon. Probably the most spectacular of geography though we were getting a little bored with more red rocks..... We started to laugh at the terrain and poke fun at the barren landscape..." hey Mo, look at the shades of red! I bet that's what your butthole is looking like right about now, eh? He had his headphones on and missed that one. The wind was howling and had an icy bite to it. A few pics, lets get out of here before my lips fall off...
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

PDMC 38x
heetseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:37 PM   #4
Gregg Wannabe
Just killing time

Oddometer: 2,312
Keep it coming, I'm thinking about heading there this fall and need more info.
Gregg Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:08 PM   #5
Roboter
Vagabond

Oddometer: 824
Nice Bike! Awesome pics!
Old 05-27-2008, 05:34 PM   #6
dave6253
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,965
heetseeker, Nice RR. Lot's of good red rock photos.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:45 PM   #7
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
desert reportage

good photos and editing......bruce
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 03:29 AM   #8
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,285
Great report so far
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:56 AM   #9
imgonnasnap
Motard wrecker

Oddometer: 808
You didnt happen to see a bright green jeep didja? I was traveling those same roads-moab, 191, 24, 12, 9 through bryce, zion etc.

ride the $*#(@) thing, and you'll quickly learn that the stain marks in your brooks were firstly from fear and then from ecstacy.
Scuderia: LB to SF
Bradshaw Bombrun 2007, 2008, 2009
Stupidly long road trip of 2009
imgonnasnap is offline   Reply With Quote