Breeza Plain?

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:14 PM   #32
ozimick
destination unknown

Oddometer: 442
Great report macca, Thanks for sharing.
Oh and you can have the windmill climbing to yourself, I'll settle for two feet on terra firma
ozimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:33 PM   #33
maccajim OP
Holding the Awesome

Oddometer: 550
On to Nundle and Gloucester

Hiya Scray u know it Breeza warah ridge area do u drive harvesters or chaser bins they just got the crop off i think, this road in the wet would be great but maybe not with my currentt front guard i would be gone

maccajim screwed with this post 05-25-2008 at 11:26 PM
maccajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:37 PM   #34
maccajim OP
Holding the Awesome

On to Nundle and Gloucester

Hiya again,
Continuing on I head out the road in last pic towards nundle and those clouds that I ignored. Stopped in town main street Nundle near the pub and asked 7/11 guy which way to go, he took one look at my bike pulls out map and goes "you don't mind a bit of gravel do you" and shows me the route to Forest way a gravel logging road across the range to the coast road to gloucester.

Lucky he helped me out as the signs were confusing he told me to ignore the signs and head up the hill.

I wanted more fuel first just in case so filled up at the local big drama as has to be prepaid go inside pay what u want come back pump it, it switches off automatically after putting stuff all in. Go back in pay some more repeat wasted a lot of time.

Then i ask her what grade is it 95 or less? "it's unleaded" is the only answer so i play it safe and pull this tricky little bugger out. Hope it is the right plug for low grade gas

Not bad job pretty quick get seat off in 2 minutes 1 bolt then right side guard 2 screws finally pliars on the plug and slip the water proof wires around, this could get annoying in the outback, where u will be lucky to get unleaded 90 gas.
All gassed up ready to go up into the mountains, ignore the bitumen road to hanging rock and Barry, don't want to go to see the bloke.

Turn off at the Forrest way a superb gravel road thru mountains full of lush forests and tonnes of wildlife, lots of small wallabies, big roos and wombats. There is the main gravel road and then heaps of rough and muddy logging tracks branching off into the bush every few hundred metres, some of them look really wild lots of camping spots as well awesome road. A dirt bikers heaven you could spend a week up here on a light 250 exploring all the tacks.

Big Thanks to Andy Strapz my packing got sloopy and my bag must have accidently hit the exhaust on the rough stuff, it was my fault entirely for not lifting it up and retightening. The bag didn't care touching the hot exhaust just one little mark and i know the next time i stopped it was sitting right on the exhaust! thanks Andy!! they are pretty tough, next order expedtion panniers.

maccajim screwed with this post 06-05-2008 at 10:50 PM
Old 05-25-2008, 10:06 PM   #35
maccajim OP
Holding the Awesome

Forrest way

The road changes a lot from rolling hills to red dry gravel and wet slippery mud, passed a sign saying i was at 1000m altitude and in the clouds mist rain cold but beautiful. Animals everywhere and the trees are like the blue mountains near sydney due to the height it must be always damp and cold so lots of moss on the trees.

And a side road they are everywhere pretty rough but perfect for dirt bikes.

some logging action I was glad i was on the road early as very quiet only saw one logging truck the whole time. I was freezing with all my wet weather and warm gear on, this logger has the blundestones with sawdust cuffs, stubbies, shearer singlet and unbottened flanno no worries tough barstewards up here.

Crazy carnage scene would be perfect for an australian version of Red bull romaniacs up here in the mountains with this gloopy black mud and heaps of tracks

Started to rain pretty heavy now so no pics i was pretty much riding through those clouds i photographed from the Quirindi lookout oh well cold but worth it for this amazing road. I had to go pretty steady sometimes as didn't want to hit a logging truck in the fog plus it has wallabies all along it.
One very surreal moment was seeing a wild Dingo just ambling along the side of the road right in the spot where the Road kill ends up his tail was broken and a bit crippled in the back legs so must have become a road kill scavenger on this road. He just looked at me like what the hell are u doing here totally fearless and kept walking very ballsy, where i'm from they normally hotail off very quick.

maccajim screwed with this post 05-26-2008 at 12:26 AM
Old 05-25-2008, 10:32 PM   #36
maccajim OP
Holding the Awesome

rain and rain

Finished the logging road and onto the main road to gloucester the rain put the dampener on sightseeing so pretty much just straight thru. A pic i think near gloucester or Stroud can't rember great rock formations pretty spectatular as u ride by.

The rest of the trip was pretty boring down to sydney i hit peak hour traffic near Gosford and an hour of first gear fluttering the clutch in sydney the clutch heated so much it started to slip badly, very annoying.

I will definetly come back and camp up on the Forrest way maybe in the summer though looks like lots of exploring to do. Gotta get some more stuff for the bike a proper Matts bash plate pannier racks and after this trip heated grips sound essential. I was suprised how well the tyres handled a bit of wet mud they were ok i, have heard people say get rid of them straight away but they were free so i'm gonna wear them down.

Last pic is my dad, I and family on an old yamaha, i think that smell of dirt bike petrol gets u hooked pretty young.

See u out there, I plan on doing a decent dessert and west coast trip in a few months if all goes well, mostly inspired from the reports on here.
stay safe see u

Oh and one more pic for those lovers of Windmills amongst us, this Giant windmill actuall fills that little water trough a bit of overkill but we love big useless stuff down here in OZ

maccajim screwed with this post 05-26-2008 at 01:18 AM
Old 05-25-2008, 10:42 PM   #37
dave6253
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,069
Nice photos. Looks like I'll need to make it Down Under someday.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:49 AM   #38
whitey222
occasionally adventurous

Oddometer: 1,134
Nice ! thanks for the ride.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:00 PM   #39
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 10,013
magic piccies, great ride !!!
Old 05-28-2008, 12:34 AM   #40
parrankin
par

Oddometer: 70
Ride

Great pic's and great choice of bike...

Thanks for sharing.

Parrankin
parrankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:09 AM   #41
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,759
Great report and pics Macca..

You can keep your bloody windmill climbing though mate, anything higher than the first step of a ladder has me filling my shorts..

"Troy was wrong!" - DRjoe
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:51 AM   #42
dustdonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
I understand now why half our population is over there. Beautifull scenery and RR.
'58 R50
'85 R80G/S PD (sold )
dustdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote