Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2014, 11:24 PM   #1
Mudfrog OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Ride Must Go On

Hi,

I have started my RTW five months ago from Istanbul and the Asia part was completed in Magadan. I am in the US for a while, riding the Backcountry Dirt Roads around Utah. Although I prepped a 690 Enduro for my trip, KTM Turkey somehow provided me an 1190 Adventure R and now I am waiting for it to arrive Vancouver from Magadan. Meanwhile I bought a 640 in LA and riding the BDR up to Seattle. I will put together a ride report when I have more comfortable time but here are some photos for the upcoming report.

www.ridemustgoon.com

Russia

Altai Republic

Mongolia

Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:40 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,850
Epic adventure!! So you're on a borrowed bike? Even better . Why did KTM want you to take their bike over your 690?
Old 10-23-2014, 04:07 AM   #3
jorrie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Looks great,bring it on
jorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #4
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that

Oddometer: 4,566
I've been following your ride on FB for awhile now since I saw a picture of you on another RR. I'm very interested to hear a non-biased impression of just how suitable the big 1190R is to RTW riding.

Good to see you here.

DW
Old 10-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
NKOrange
Puny homer

Oddometer: 176
Great stuff!

Looking forward to more

7 times down, 8 times up. Such is life.
NKOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #6
Mudfrog OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Epic adventure!! So you're on a borrowed bike? Even better . Why did KTM want you to take their bike over your 690?

Well, I had a Rally Raid Evo2 kit on the bike so that was not a good marketing material for them. I said yes to the offer mainly in a financial way `free bike`.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:24 PM   #7
Mudfrog OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner View Post
I've been following your ride on FB for awhile now since I saw a picture of you on another RR. I'm very interested to hear a non-biased impression of just how suitable the big 1190R is to RTW riding.

Good to see you here.

DW
There were some sections that I really missed my 690. Northern Mongolia and in some parts of Far East Russia to be honest. But other than that I was able to ride really fast like 160-170 km/h on the Vilyusiky Trakt (dirt route from Mirny to Yakutsk). I was more comfortable on some tarmac sections as well. But I changed the rims and put tubes inside. Disabled all MTS, ABS crap with the dongle. I did not have a major problem with the bike till Magadan but I would love it more it it was 50kg. lighter.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:33 AM   #8
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Far East Russia

I can't find a write-up of Lensk to Magadan on "Ride Must Go On." I'd be very interested in that coverage, since I rode London to Magadan this Summer. I see you were ahead of me since your photo of the gas station covered in stickers does not show my sticker.
I think you're in Vancouver? Enjoy! That's a wonderful city. I know people there.

My Suzuki DR 650 just arrived Seattle, Washington, and I need to ride it across the USA to complete my rtw trip, but I don't know about this weather now. I hope your bike passes Canadian customs easier than my bike did US customs. Otherwise I may have been able to complete my trip before the "polar vortex." Ha!

EDIT 11/23/14. Ah! I see you've updated "Ride Must Go On." Some about the heavy mining in Siberia. Very good. I like to read other riders opinions on areas I've been in. Here's a picture of the heavy mining equipment I saw around Neryungri. Scroll about 1/3 down. It reminded me of the mining equipment around my home town in Pennsylvania.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...978907&page=17

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me

poppawheelie screwed with this post 12-01-2014 at 09:55 AM
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #9
_serhan_
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
No pictures while in turkey?
_serhan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:41 PM   #10
Mudfrog OP
Adventurer

Istanbul to Tblisi

I think it was march when I decided to quit my job to travel around the world. I was already fed up with the work and the city (Istanbul) so the timing was quite right. While I was planning the trip and getting ready for it, I had an email from my friend from the US, Prentiss. We met two years ago while me and Noah (He is on a RTW also with his 690) was having our drinks at a new year’s party. Prentiss and her brother were visiting Istanbul for new year. After spending a couple of days together, eating kokorec, and the other usual Istanbul activities, Noah continued his trip around the world with his 690 Enduro R while Prentiss and her brother Clay went back home, US.

Two years later, in June 2014 Prentiss was finishing her grad school and before the chapter of professional career in her life so she needed an adventure. Then the plan was simple, we would ride from Istanbul to Tbilisi together. She bought her flight tickets and it was on. That was the first time she would be on a motorcycle, but it was going to be fun. While I was getting ready and figuring out the items I would bring on my journey, I picked up Prentiss from the airport. I went there on the bike so that would be a good opportunity to warm up Prentiss about being a passenger on a motorcycle. A couple of days in Istanbul for sightseeing and later, we were ready to begin our journey. Prentiss was interested in Cappadocia, so that was the first destination.

So that was it, I was in my garage loading up the bike to start a journey around the world. I was feeling excited, as my friends were with us to say ”Goodbye”. The odometer was 1227km. while I was wondering what the final number would be?

It was early in the morning around 9 am, while we were crossing the famous bridge that ties both sides of Istanbul. I was feeling great, that was the beginning of a new chapter in my life. I took the highway towards Cappadocia. I know it was going to be boring for me and Prentiss, but I was eager to be in Cappadocia quickly.

On another stop for fuel, I realized that it would be wiser to arrive in Ankara and call it a day. I did not want to push Prentiss too much on her first day on a motorcycle. So we agreed to ride to Ankara and then spend the night there. Luckily another motorcycle traveler friend İbrahim Yesilyurt was living in Ankara and he invited us over to his place.

We spent the night mostly talking about traveling. A few drinks and it was time to sleep because we had to get up early for Cappadocia. Saying goodbye to Ibrahim and thanking him for his great hospitality and we were on the road to Cappadocia again.

While we rode about 200 km.s it was time to feed the beast with fuel, and also our legs needed to stretch. I was also curious about the fuel consumption of the 1190. I had a 990 Adv. in the past and it was still my favorite bike ever. But unfortunately the bike had really high fuel consumption. To test the 1190 about that, I started riding slower, rarely going over 120 km/h, and my average speed was 100 km./h. That was a really big surprise cause the consumption was 5.2 lt. which is really low for a 150 hp bike. I was really impressed.

One hour later, we were finally in Cappadocia. We both wanted to camp in the wild. Before checking for a nice camp spot, we had a late lunch in town. Later we bought some snacks and wine for the upcoming evening. I was asking a local about camp spots, and he suggested me to ride over the hills surrounding the area. 15 minutes of light off-road riding on the hills and then Prentiss pointed our camp spot. We quickly put up the tent, and immediately started enjoying the view. The light was perfect for photography, so I didn’t wanna waste that opportunity.

As I have been to Cappadocia before, the formations of the rocks and the landscape were more interesting for Prentiss. That was because she is a landscape architect.

After Cappadocia we had about 671 km.s to Trabzon and there was nothing really interesting in between. We would just stop for coffee breaks and fuel. After a really long ride within the twisty and narrow roads to the coastline, late night we managed to reach Trabzon. Sedat Bozkurt (another traveler friend) was waiting for us there. He has also been to Mongolia and Central Asia on his motorbike last year. He owns and manages a dormitory for university students, but on summer it is used as a hotel. He is also famous for destroying KTM’s , now he is back to roots and has two R80′s. First thing when we arrived in Trabzon, Sedat took us to a great spot to eat meat and drink some rakı.

I knew there were some interesting mountains roads when you pass Sumela Monastery. We were climbing up, and finally we were out of pavement. That was the first time I ride the 1190 up on a dirt road. The bike was handling great, suspensions were doing their job fine.

While we reached the highest point around, the weather was getting worse and we could hear the thunder growling. The storm was getting close, but we were enjoying the view.

The rain has stopped and we decided to make our way to Trabzon again. We said our goodbyes to the family and we were riding back to town. We planned to leave Turkey and cross borders to Georgia the next day.

In the next morning we decided to ride to Tbilisi on another alternative route. We could ride the highway to Tbilisi, but of course that would be really boring. We wanted to see some countryside and my friend Caglar also mentioned to me a different route. Probably 80-90 km. was off-road.

If you ask me about Georgian roads, I would say only one major thing: Roads with Cows! We stopped several times on the way to shoot photos, the scenery was amazing. I was slower than normal because riding two up off road is not something I am used to.

On the way it started to rain, it was so heavy even the cars were looking for a shelter. We also waited for the weather to calm down.

Another fast and boring highway ride for 2.5 hours, and we were in Tbilisi. We found a hotel on the main big street, also tried some hostels but they were full. Later on the day, we spent time discovering the city on foot.

When we started from Istanbul, I knew that a landslide blocked the way between the border of Georgia and Russia. That was massive and no one was able to cross borders. My alternative plan was to travel through Azerbaijan (which I really didn’t want to) but I needed a damn Visa. My plan was to get the visa in Tbilisi but of course I would wait a lot to get that visa. Then I decided to fly back to Istanbul, get the visa, return back and continue the journey.

I needed to park my bike to a safe garage, luckily I had a relative living in Tbilisi. I never met him before, but thanks to social media he was aware that I was in Tbilisi. We met with Naci and arranged the garage of his company. Same day I managed to book the same flight with Prentiss back to Istanbul.

I was feeling a little sad on the last day of our journey with Prentiss together. I would definitely miss her company but at the same time I was excited. The real journey was about to start for me, alone with my bike.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:44 PM   #11
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,465
Cant wait till you catch up !
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:10 AM   #12
Max Wedge
ADVenture mowing

Oddometer: 428
Great photography! Subscribed!

-you never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office.
Max Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:19 AM   #13
BikerBobber
Trying to get lost

Oddometer: 658
BikerBobber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #14
CalamariKid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
In!
08 WR450F
CalamariKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #15
Turk34
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Keep Coming

Tolga devamini bekliyorum..Zaten FB dan takip ediyorum...

Yolun acik olsun....

Safe Ride my friend!
Turk34 is offline   Reply With Quote