Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2009, 04:28 PM   #1546
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
I wish we'd waited

for just one more chance, 'cause up around the next bend was the:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #1547
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Those snow-crusted mountains

... I started to figure out that they were the Warner range, way over in CA, about 40 miles as the crow flies, and we WERE heading for them.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #1548
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Northern Traveler

(Scott) had taken and recommended the side-trip up to the summit here,

It would have added about 6 miles. We discussed it for about 1 second. Fuel was the articulated reason, but I think we were just tired, and the end was in sight. For the record, Scott had skipped the summit after Paradise Valley, where we had photographed the panorama, and I had seen his photos from Bald Summit, so I kinda knew it was more of the same.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:46 PM   #1549
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Around the next bend

we saw what was to be the last big valley of the Great Basin. California was getting close! Fanning out below us was the northern end of a vast valley / dry lake bed system. Before us was Calcutta Lake:

and to the South, were Cow lake, and beyond that, Middle lake:

Old 06-10-2009, 04:51 PM   #1550
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We were excited

about the road... it was recently (this decade) graded, and as it descended, we were nearly brought to tears to note the presence of ACTUAL SWITCHBACKS!!!

Old 06-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #1551
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 5,973
I just remembered this, I am sure you and Francine can appreciate it. When my nephew was about seven or so we took him camping and he was freakishly scared that beavers might attack us. Then we went to a museum somewhere in Canada (forgot where) and they had a reproduction of a giant beaver. They were could reach 8 feet in length and almost 500 pounds.
Maybe that is what Francine saw
Seriously I hope you guys get out and do one of the dualsport weekends. Maybe Thrill and Chill again.
Francine, not sure if you want to, but if you do not want to ride your BMW I'd gladly lend you my XT225 to get dirty with. I love your little additions to David's drivel
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:39 PM   #1552
La Donna Fugata
You're not the boss of me

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon
Why not break down and buy her an auto-clutch?
I didn't know such a beast existed up until now . Ohhhh.... Mobius IV may have just gotten a little bit more expensive
La Donna Fugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:41 PM   #1553
La Donna Fugata
You're not the boss of me

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe
They were could reach 8 feet in length and almost 500 pounds.
Exactly.....I thought this beast was a bear cub. It looked just like that. At least 200 pounds, at least
La Donna Fugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #1554
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

One last, hard,

kick in the teeth:

Down on the valley floor. We started making our way across. Started pretty enough.

We passed through "The Old Fox" ranch...

Why is it called "The Old Fox" ranch?

Oh, I dunno...

Anyway, the road out of there was BRUTAL!

I know, it doesn't look so bad in this photo... Imagine, a dirt road, wet. A herd of cows. Probably thousands. They trudge up the road, sinking maybe 6-8" in with each step. They create the most rutted, cratered, surface, completely without pattern. No tracks, no grooves, no regularity at all. Days pass, the mud dries. It's like concrete.

The right tool for the job would be a 125cc 2-stroke with 20" of travel, and helium balloons attached to the front and rear fenders to assist in just skipping over this stuff. Unfortunately, with our DRZ's we can't get out of first gear without bottoming out suspension, and nearly launching over the bars. Paddle-footing doesn't work, 'cause randomly (and frequently) you go to put a foot down, only to discover a 14" gap between your foot and the earth.

It was maybe 3 miles... but it was exhausting, demoralizing, and so unpleasant I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:20 PM   #1555
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

When we finally got to

trail that looked like this:

we stopped and mixed up some JBWeld to glue our fillings back in.

We were grateful for the above quality of road... so flat... so smooth.

and just ahead... nirvana. A graded gravel run which would take us to the border.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:30 PM   #1556
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

After a few miles,

the road turned red

this was Barrel Springs Road. Part of the National Scenic Byways system.

It crosses Mosquito Lake... where the 'skeeters are as big as cattle:

and then climbs switchbacks (ah, switchbacks!) up to the plateau on the other side:

The riding was so easy I wanted to sing.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:32 PM   #1557
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Sharp, pointy

tall green things were sticking out of the earth...

They looked vaguely familiar.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:34 PM   #1558
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Look!

Power Lines!!! We're back on the grid!

Oh, yeah. And antelope.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:36 PM   #1559
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We crossed the border

We'd made it to California. Imagine that... California, baby.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:38 PM   #1560
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Fort Bidwell

... here we come!