Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2009, 08:40 PM   #1576
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
It really is

a lovely campground.

not many photos of dinner and camp and campfire. But it was nice. We talked over what we'd try to do for the remaining days of Mobius 3, and we decided to attempt the higher elevation routes, knowing full well that we'd likely be thwarted by snow. It didn't matter... anything to stay out of the desert that we had grown so weary of, and instead, to enjoy as much of the high sierras as we could.

We figured if we got turned around by snow, we'd hit pavement if we had to, but even now, we were within striking distance of Reno, and we should be under no pressure whatsoever to meet a daily mileage goal.

232 miles, and nearly 11 hours, boots on to boots off. Way. Too. Much. I vowed to sleep in the next morning. Even longer than LDF if I had to.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:46 PM   #1577
La Donna Fugata
You're not the boss of me

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
She's absolutely right.

Ohhhhhhh Yeahhhhhhh......
La Donna Fugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:02 PM   #1578
kerouac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Trees!!!

The desert looks fun, but nothing better than Mountains and TREES IMO. Maybe mountains, trees & Bourbon.

Really enjoying the ride. When does Mobius 4 start. Can't wait for the next one even though you're still not finished with this one.
kerouac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:02 PM   #1579
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,689
>"I'm curious how the amount of carbon released in controlled burns stacks up against the amount of carbon NOT released by virtue of California's stricter emissions regulations"

The strict California emission regulations don't have much to do with CO2 levels. They are targeted at reducing the amount of unburnt hydrocarbons, sulfur oxides, oxides of nitrogen (etc.) that make photochemical smog, cause lung disease (yada). The only thing that reduces CO2 emissions is fuel effeciency.

Unfortunately, early generation emission controls reduced effeciency and we traded a reduction in one type of pollution (smog) for increased CO2 production. (CO2 effects are debated daily in the basement)

I need to let you get back to your wonderful ride report!
Is there more coming?
TwilightZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:32 PM   #1580
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone
(CO2 effects are debated daily in the basement)
I figured as much. Really, I sort of brought it up as a backhanded example of random thoughts that come to me on these rides... mostly thinking about stuff I don't usually think about, or thinking in different ways than I usually think. And I realize how much I don't know, and how much my opinions are based on presumptions that may or may not be valid. Then I come home, full of questions, and look things up, and try to educate myself, at least for awhile, until I slip back into my usual ruts, routines, etc... It's the aspect of a mental vacation that these trips are for me.
Quote:
I need to let you get back to your wonderful ride report!
Is there more coming?
You betcha. Another couple three days of riding, and a day in Reno stuffing the rabbits back in the hats .
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac
Really enjoying the ride. When does Mobius 4 start. Can't wait for the next one even though you're still not finished with this one.
Mobius 4 will depart NYC Sept. 12 for two weeks, riding from Reno north to complete the OR TAT, and then up to the Seattle environs.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-11-2009 at 01:05 PM
Old 06-10-2009, 11:16 PM   #1581
katoomon
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 64
Quote:

C'mon. seriously, doesn't that cloud look weird?
Lenticular clouds, also known as standing wave clouds, are really common in mountainous terrain. They are typically associated with high upper level winds. There was probably a cold front (southwest wind) approaching that day. The mountains push the air up, also known as orographic lifting. The moisture in the rising and cooling air condenses and that type of cloud forms. If you were to watch it, you would see that it is building on the windward side (west or soutwest) and dissapearing (entraining) on the leeward (east or southeast) side as the air descends and warms. Usually, when lenticulars (upper level winds) are seen, the next day will be very windy with surface winds.

When a winter cold front comes through, it is not at all uncommon for the Sierra Nevada to have gusts over 100 mph on the highest ridges. The associated wind slab snow has been described as "variable" by ski area marketing. How was the next day? I'll have to read on now. Rippin' effort on the ride report, thanks for sharing.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:49 AM   #1582
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Interesting

There were hardly any other clouds in the sky, and none like that one anywhere else. I thought for sure the cloud had something to do with the fires & smoke from the controlled burn. It was right above that area. This, however, from the NOAA site confirms your suspicion:

"Lenticular Clouds, technically known as altocumulus standing lenticularus, are a strange looking cloud formation that form as strong winds blow over and around rough terrain. Some people have mistaken them for UFOs due to their smooth saucer like shape."

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-11-2009 at 06:59 AM
Old 06-11-2009, 07:08 AM   #1583
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,451
Quote:
Some people have mistaken them for UFOs due to their smooth saucer like shape."
Wow Killer Beavers and UFOs what a ride report
Looking forward to the next 3 days.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:27 AM   #1584
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Donna Fugata
I didn't know such a beast existed up until now . Ohhhh.... Mobius IV may have just gotten a little bit more expensive
It's his own fault, LDF! He jinxed it when he said a couple pages back (cost estimates) that M-IV would have significantly less maintenance costs involved.

Here, you can get a jump on the research for him >>> http://www.rekluse.com/
malibu_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #1585
booty0
Booger eater

Oddometer: 174
Now what am I supposed to do? Work the rest of the afternoon?

Awesome effort, in every way.

It's really helped me get through the week.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:14 PM   #1586
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 10: Wed. May 20, 2009

The campsite was in the shade well until past 8am. I had woken up at the usual 5:30, rolled over, until LDF started shaking me... "What TIME is it?"

"Don't know, don't care... "

We made coffee, oatmeal, packed leisurely... We were enjoying the arboreal piney forest tremendously. LDF had noticed a sign pointing to a trail to a waterfall.

We decided to go on a little hike before we pulled our riding boots on.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #1587
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I would guess

she was still harboring latent suspicions that I was concocting some plot to delay our progress, and then would somehow blame her for our lack of progress. A kind of reverse-psychology motivational-therapy to get her out of bed earlier in the morning.

I just wanted to take an hour or so to go on a hike through the woods, see the waterfall, and smell the woodsy smells after having my head in a helmet 10 hours a day for over a week.

There was even a rainbow:

Old 06-11-2009, 12:29 PM   #1588
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Walking back to camp

LDF noticed something new to worry about besides bears, mountain lions, scorpions, rattle snakes, tornadoes, flash floods, forest fires, killer beaver, wolves, and coyotes: "widow makers"

Old 06-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #1589
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We geared up

and packed away our camp shoes and fleece. The plan was simple, skip the loop around the Lassen Volcano, and take the lower-elevation route to Susanville, where we'd find a motel.

The low-elevation route turned out to still have plenty of elevation changes and challenges :

Old 06-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #1590
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We backed the bikes out

and fired them up. Wheels rolling at.... drumroll.... 10:30!!! I smile, then stop. Something's wrong. I get off the bike. Can you see it?

Left, center.