User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2009, 12:58 PM   #1591
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,519
Rule change:

It used to be that whenever Camelbaks were removed, they had to be leaned against front wheels.

That only works if you're rolling forward. Backing out... this is what happens.

New rule: Whenever removed, the Camelbak waist belt must be clipped onto some part of the bike.

Sorry, Mr. Happy Puppet.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-11-2009 at 01:08 PM
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:37 PM   #1592
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Underway

the trees were giving back their carbon atoms to the atmosphere in a controlled and well-behaved manner;

I don't know why, but I find this photo a little sexy...

I think we stopped for her to defleece... maybe it's the mud caked on the visor... or else the fingernail polish?

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-11-2009, 02:00 PM   #1593
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We were following tracks

laid down by boney at GPSXchange.com, and some others by some other FF's and I like to give credit where credit is due, but their names are lost in the sands of time, I'm mortified to report.

I think he had ridden this route in '06,

and while it was mighty tasty riding,

We weren't able to, um, ride the exact route that he did.

(got around that one)...

but was stopped by this:

but the go-arounds were fairly straight forward,

and we carried on, with a little re-routing.

We were just playing... having a ball.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-11-2009 at 02:28 PM
Old 06-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #1594
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Tell me

this doesn't look like fun...

Old 06-11-2009, 02:32 PM   #1595
tommo2
Michiganee

Oddometer: 219
nice pic

tommo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:32 PM   #1596
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Blocked again

by deadfall...

backtrack,

and set me up for...

the best water-crossing photo of me...
Old 06-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #1597
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Evahhh!!!

Old 06-11-2009, 02:36 PM   #1598
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Our next re-route attempt

caught us a road that looked like it would go through... it had some recent tire tracks, a little wider, etc.

and, in fact, it did.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:39 PM   #1599
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Even though

there was more water,

we were descending into more Great Basin-like elevations and terrain...

No matter... still fun

Old 06-11-2009, 02:43 PM   #1600
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Our nice two-track

deteriorated quite a bit...

I hear over the squawk-box, "Who routed this?"

"I did, why?"

"Who the frick do yo think you are??? SAM??"

"Not bad, if I do say so myself"
Old 06-11-2009, 02:45 PM   #1601
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Once we got down

to the valley, things settled a bit,

I mean, this was just primo dual-sport riding,

"No, don't worry... I'll get this gate"

(I get every gate, actually)
Old 06-11-2009, 02:57 PM   #1602
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It looked like a

green lake up ahead...

as we got closer, we saw a "Jesus-cow" walking on the water...

This was Horse Lake... so, that must be a... horse?
Old 06-11-2009, 03:01 PM   #1603
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The rest of the way

to Susanville, was smooth

Yeah, it was a short day of riding...

deal with it. It was just what we needed.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:07 PM   #1604
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

A quick stop

at the Susanville chamber of commerce (and Parks and Recreation headquarters)

gave us the 411 regarding the best B&B in town, (which we spared from turning into a super-fund site since we were so dirty), and the best restaurant in town... the Sage Hen; with "a new French chef, who cooked authentic French cuisine using local ingredients and has really turned the place into a destination," according to the clerk.

So, follow our logic: the promise of a good dinner. therefore wine. therefore no motor-bikey. no taxi cabby here either. therefore, we must find a motel within walking distance to the restaurant!

Makes sense to me.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:20 PM   #1605
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We found the restaurant

(way on the other side of town from the B&B, btw), and pulled into a quaint-looking mom & pop type motel, the Apple Inn, which we quickly pulled out of when we saw what looked like (unconfirmed... just bad vibes) a drug deal going down.

Across the street, and down a ways was a Best Western, and we got ourselves a real, honest-to-goodness motel room. We felt so civilized.

We peeled off our riding gear, and de-bugged: not sure how we picked up so many passengers...

LDF's:

also LDF's:

Mine:

these were all between skin & base layer... yeck .