Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2008, 08:43 AM   #181
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
While we were sitting around, waiting for the filters to dry in the afternoon sun, enjoying the cocktail hour, actually, a guy pulls in on a black tiger.

Gets his gear off, and introduces himself, (Jim), and we get to talking.

He's from Kansas, collects vintage bikes, was riding to the 4-corners area, spends half the year in Costa Rica, his wife also rides, but was currently sport-fishing in Baja. Made his fortune developing and producing equipment for milking goats. Super-nice...

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, KCDakar posts on the NE forum asking for info on an upcoming trip to NYC. Being on the tent-space list, we invite her to stay with us, and in the course of getting to know her, she mentions that she once owned a vintage bike... Now, I know only one person from Kansas period, but I ask... hey, on our trip we met this guy... the goat-man... Straight away she says "Jim!" Anyway, turns out they're all great friends, and the standard six degrees of separation was pared down to none, and a loop of coincidence and friendship was snugged tight. Small world, eh?

Now this guy...

He came up and was asking about our trip, and told us he was from Texas, working construction (paving) on a job. Hell of a commute. Anyway, he asked why we were in Liberal, and we answered maintenance, mostly. He asked if we had seen the sights? No, such as?... we asked.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-13-2008 at 07:46 AM
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:53 AM   #182
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Dorothy's house, and pancakes

Well. Apparently, Liberal, KS is know as the location of the house that inspired Frank Baum when penning the Wizard of Oz.

So, as the cocktails wore off, and the sun was setting, we saddled up in search of the Yellow Brick Road.

OK, maybe they weren't totally worn off.

Who knew?

And there it was:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-12-2008, 08:59 AM   #183
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The museum was closed, otherwise, we'd have gone in for sure...

But there were other things to see:

THE yellow brick road...

The characters:

And a display of some cool old farm machinery, which started to look a little spooky illuminated by our headlights in the dark.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:06 AM   #184
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

And pancakes

Huh?

"Newcomers to Liberal might be amazed to see people dashing down Kansas Avenue on a chilly winter morning, pancake skillets clutched tightly to their apron-covered chests as they race. But that just means it's Pancake Day, a holiday all of Liberal celebrates."

Learn more here!

So the guy tells us we can't leave Liberal without eating pancakes (I was wondering why the main street was called Pancake Blvd), so the next morning we woke up early,

Mmmmmm.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:09 AM   #185
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Back at the motel

Jim was packing up as well, and we said our goodbyes...

And we were back on the trail, rested, refreshed, bikes humming...

Life is good.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:48 AM   #186
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Our destination

for the day was Black Mesa State Park, almost all the way out on the OK panhandle.

It felt good to be excited about riding again, and the weather looked like it would be nice for camping.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:04 AM   #187
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Dust-bowl

We came upon a short section of road which I've thought a lot about since. The terrain had become more and more arid, with the vegetation adapting... scrub bushes, low grasses, cacti.

This section was about 1/2 mile long only, but it was desert. There were some graders moving the sand onto / off of the road, but that patch of land was devoid of plant life, and in the wind, dunes were starting to form.

I wondered if the same process of drought started the dust bowl. What isn't clear to me is that this little patch of desert had started during one of the wettest winter-springs ever. Global warming?

I've since read a little about how deserts form... it's called "desertification".

It was as if a little patch of desert started, and then the sand accumulated and as it drifted over adjacent land, killed all the vegetation, creating a bigger patch and it seemed to me with nothing to stop it, there is potential of spreading like an infection across the land. The graders (there were several at work) were kind of pathetic in the wind... you could tell in about a day, the road would be drifted over again.

We struggled to get across. I wonder what's going to become of it by the end of the summer.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:08 AM   #188
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

On up ahead, you can see that the road is sandy, but there's still some land cover and plant life alongside:

Old 06-12-2008, 11:20 AM   #189
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was turning into another windy day (note wind sock)

And more wide-open spaces, without a lot of cover...

Adobe bricks?

But good riding nonetheless:

DR. Rock screwed with this post 08-21-2008 at 05:10 PM
Old 06-12-2008, 11:24 AM   #190
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I was getting a little Andrew Wyeth thing going:

I guess you had to be there to really get it like I was...

oh well
Old 06-12-2008, 11:32 AM   #191
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Look

A tree:

Driving across the panhandle, I appreciated what a harsh environment it can be, like a tundra... We've watched the motoDVD's of riders on trips that cross the mongolian plains, the Himalayan steppes, the Atacama desert in South American you have to cross if you want to ride all the way down, etc... We had a little of that feel crossing this area.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:33 AM   #192
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,354
What a great report. Love the fast loading pictures also as it's kinda slow internet here at offshore Louisiana. WarLoop Road.
What a memory on my first encounter running solo on my then new '00 KLR650. Your trip reminds me so much of mine. Great wife you have there. Thanks for the memories.
Oh yea, my wife was kinda on me back then about my solo travels in remote places and possible injuries and the sort. When I mentioned that I would just probably become part of the food chain she was not amused none at all.

Thanks for sharing. Great job.

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 73,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:35 AM   #193
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Eventually

We re-entered more cultivated land, and signs of human habitation:

This was Boise City.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:47 AM   #194
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Even though

It was relatively early in the day, and we were far from our destination, I was starting to get a handle on how remote the area was, and so we took the opportunity to pick up some groceries for dinner.

Scenes from Boise City:

If this is the biggest community concern, things are OK in Boise city:

Boise City is also where we filled our tanks, and the two-liter bottles in the Sweetcheeks with gas. We would be leaving the TAT the next day, and I had calculated about 200 miles to the next "maybe" gas station, in Maxwell, NM... If not there, we'd have about another 28 miles to known gas.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-12-2008 at 12:01 PM
Old 06-12-2008, 11:49 AM   #195
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

If you don't mind, this one is in large format