Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2008, 12:43 PM   #226
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Foothills

We started to leave the flat land.

Climbed up a serpentine road which had paved switchbacks. As we crested, we were treated to a view of the valley beyond.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:45 PM   #227
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The descent

Find Francine... Play at home!

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-15-2008, 12:48 PM   #228
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We were almost at the point where we would leave the TAT:

And it started to rain a little.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:59 PM   #229
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We'll return

in September, for another two weeks...

And pick up the TAT where we left off here, with the bikes pointing instead to the right.

But for now, we're heading southward towards Albuquerque, "goin' where the sun keeps shinin" through the pouring rain, goin' where the weather suits our clothes".

For the record, we bought our raingear before we bought these bikes, and the color coordination is PURE coincidence!

Fine, don't believe me.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 08-21-2008 at 05:28 PM
Old 06-15-2008, 01:14 PM   #230
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Pavement

Well, my first routing attempt off the TAT has resulted in pavement. Strange, as it was a dotted line on the GPS database which usually corresponds to a dirt road.

Not BAD pavement, but asphalt, none the less.

The temperature was dropping, and it was sprinkling intermittently. No gas in Folsom, as expected.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:29 PM   #231
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Aborted ascent

of the Capulin Volcano.

Ahead in the distance,

We were passing right by,

and my intent was to take the dirt road that snaked around the back side where it allegedly met up with the paved road and then take that to the top.

So we found the dirt road, only it quickly started to fade away:

we backtracked

to the highway, which we took

to the official park entrance...

At this point, we rethought the idea of riding to the top... It's probably a wonderful view... when it's out of the clouds. We could no longer see the top, and it was cold and windy at the base...

Mr. Happy puppet was cold.

So we decided to save on fuel, and skip it this time. It'll be on our "to do" list on our way back in Sept.

It looked like nicer weather the direction we were heading, anyway.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-15-2008 at 01:39 PM
Old 06-15-2008, 01:36 PM   #232
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The next section

I had plotted put us back on dirt roads.

And sure enough, the weather started to clear.

Or so it would seem...

Old 06-15-2008, 01:43 PM   #233
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Fantastic riding

The scenery is just magical. I don't think it was because I'm so good at plotting a route, I think it's that the riding is just awesome out here.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:48 PM   #234
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The sign says:

21 MILES UNPAVED
ROAD AHEAD
MAY NOT BE
PASSABLE DURING
INCLEMENT WEATHER

Does that look at all inclement up ahead to anyone?

Something tells me LDF (usually the more prudent of we two), missed that sign.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:52 PM   #235
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Hey, that's me!

Back atcha:

Old 06-15-2008, 01:59 PM   #236
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Definitely

looking inclement-ish, eh?

oh yeah... inclement-ish.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:24 PM   #237
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We rise into the treeline

and the road gets a little curvy.

It's now mid-afternoon, and we haven't had a gas / snack stop, so we look for a place to rest...

Somewhere around here,

I signal for LDF to stop, and she says "did you see that wolf?..."
"No." (that's what I get for riding second... miss all the good stuff, and always take her picture... it's as if she's a movie star, and I'm just the support chase vehicle). At least can I be the whiney side-kick?

So she emphatically says "Don't stop here... it was just right back there"

I say, "I don't think we're going to be attacked by wolves... I mean all we have is an apple, some cheese, and a pack of honey roasted peanuts."

Too late, she's already roosting me.

We break out of the trees, and sit down for a snack.

We start to feel a couple of drops of rain, and within two minutes it is POURING. We gear back up, and start the wheels rolling. We were exposed, what else could we do?
Old 06-15-2008, 04:32 PM   #238
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Maxwell, NM

For the next hour and a half, we rode in and out of the rain, and by the time we got to Maxwell, it had started to clear up.

We were running on fumes, covered just over 200 miles, and hadn't tapped into our 6 L of emergency extra fuel. We pull into Maxwell, NM, and sure enough, there's gas at the One Stop.

The owner is in a wheel chair, and we spend some time chatting with her and an older gentleman. They tell us it's been one of the driest winters and springs ever. We say, so you must be happy about the rain. They say "what rain, it was only a few drops here". Weird. There must be sharply delineated micro-climates out here, because not 50 miles away they got a lot of rain.

I pour the extra fuel we were carrying into the gas tanks, we fill up, eat some snacks, and hit the road. By this time, we've targeted our day's destination: Cimarron Canyon State park. Since the weather is clearing, we figure we're good to camp for the night. (ominous foreshadowing)

Old 06-15-2008, 04:44 PM   #239
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This ride report is even finished,

...and Mobius, chapter 2 planning has already begun.

I spoke to my brother this afternoon, and we've decided to end the next adventure in Flagstaff, AZ... LDF just booked our tickets NYC-Albuquerque, and Phoenix-NYC. We'll be taking some detours off the TAT, but given the areas we'll be passing through (NM, CO, UT, AZ), it should be worth it!

This thing's got legs, as they say!

Edit: Please insert "not" in the title of this post, . And while you're at it, if it's not too much trouble, pretend that I'm not an idiot.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-15-2008 at 07:02 PM
Old 06-15-2008, 04:58 PM   #240
Black06LJ
ZRX1200R Thrasher

Oddometer: 300
Great RR!!!
Maybe we can throw down some miles together when you get back out here to ABQ.
Can't wait for the next installment... Chapter 2!!!