Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2010, 02:34 PM   #2986
corsair4360
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Great Report...

Dr. Rock,

Did you expect to see inclement weather and snow? My experience over the years says that what you found is what I would have expected in early June. My experience is in the Sierra's and the Teton's as well as Utah and we always said 4th of July was the date for high passes. While your passes are not high, the combination of being much farther north has the same effect.

I know what 40 degree rain is like, been there done that, not fun.

Your wife is a real gem, what a trooper.
corsair4360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:43 PM   #2987
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,711
Still following along since Mobius1...

and loving it. Let me see if I can help you with some cowboy lingo: Herding, Round-up and/or Cattle drive??? Wrangling could apply also.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:11 PM   #2988
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon
How come LDF always looks like she came out of a beauty parlor and you always look kinda well haggard?
+1
250senuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #2989
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair4360
My experience over the years says that what you found is what I would have expected in early June. My experience is in the Sierra's and the Teton's as well as Utah and we always said 4th of July was the date for high passes. While your passes are not high, the combination of being much farther north has the same effect.
I know what 40 degree rain is like, been there done that, not fun.
The weather in most of B.C doesn't turn 'summery' until after June 10th at least. Early June is too early to be heading anywhere north for sure. Our best months for summer are July, Aug, Sept and (believe it or not) Oct.

Great ride report. If you make it back south to the Island give us a shout. We have the triple 'B' available (Beer, Bbq, and Bed)
Old 06-16-2010, 07:41 PM   #2990
mtnman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
What a great adventure; and the photography......stunning!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #2991
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,325
"What smells like garlic? Is that your coat?"

I love this stuff!!! A comedy writer couldn't have made up a better ending to that vid!

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:07 PM   #2992
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,694
Pussywagon™

option+2 on an apple

Alt+0153 on an orange

other fruity keyboard shortcuts

class excused
Old 06-18-2010, 03:32 AM   #2993
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by rthuey
Pussywagon™
Happy now? How you been Professor?

Almost done processing the next day's photos.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:47 AM   #2994
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Blueberry's sprocket was mounted in Liberal, Kansas on Mobius 1, probably 10,000 miles ago. Mine was replaced on Mobius 2 in Trinidad, CO, probably 8000 miles ago.

The sprockets showed negligible wear until the chain started to stretch, then the teeth wore at the same rate as the chain stretched.

There's more to the sprocket story, but bottom line: the sprocket will probably last forever if you change your chain before it starts to stretch.
i get the $85 xring chain/sprocket sets off ebay and get 8000 to 10000 miles. an old chain will kill a new aluminum sprocket in 200 miles or a steel one in 1000 miles.
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:37 AM   #2995
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydog
...an old chain will kill a new aluminum sprocket in 200 miles or a steel one in 1000 miles.
true dat.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-18-2010, 10:49 AM   #2996
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 8: Friday May 21, 2010

Today would be our last real day of dirt. The plan was to take a dirt forest service road up from Terrace to the Nisga'a lava beds, gas up at New Aiyansh, continue on dirt 'till we hit the Casiar Highway, and take that to Meziadin Junction and scoot over to Stewart / Hyder to spend the night.

Sorry about the bug on the next few videos.

AM video update, discussing among other things, our final drive issues.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-18-2010 at 01:53 PM
Old 06-18-2010, 10:54 AM   #2997
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Periodically

LDF would shout over the Scala "BEAR!!!" and I'd dutifully get the camera out of my pocket and ride up close behind her to try to get a picture of one before it ran away.

As we'd get closer, whatever it was that she thought was a bear would come into view... These drainage conduits are now known to us as... "bear pipes"

Old 06-18-2010, 10:57 AM   #2998
MeanStreaker
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Oddometer: 511
Don't kid yourself.

Those pipes would maul you and everybody you care about.

Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom.
MeanStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #2999
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Sometimes,

"Road Deactivated" means "this is a perfect dual-sport Mobius road"

and sometimes it means "Road Deactivated, dumbshit"

Old 06-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #3000
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I have no regrets,

though I took heat at the time, looking back at the GoogleEarth imagery, the resolution is so low that you can't see if the bridge is there or not. I thought it was a nice way to start the morning, especially considering how much pavement we were facing the next few days.

So we backtracked to Terrace, topped off the gas tanks, and headed up the other (paved) side of the river.