Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2010, 09:06 PM   #3031
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Chain & sprockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus
You need new chains and sprockets NOW! One good whack on the throttle (like you would do if a bear was after you) and those teeth WILL break off.
Yeah.

'bout that.

My presumption, (which was technically correct, but ultimately thick-headed) was as follows: Once the chain starts to detectably stretch, I safely assumed that we'd get at least 1500 miles out of them before things got critical.

Given that our Mobius trips generally cover 2000 miles, and our chains and sprockets looked fine at the end of Mobius 4... I figured worse case scenario, we'd limp into Anchorage with spent chains and sprockets.

I also figured that the weak point of the drivetrain in terms of wear would be the front sprocket (wrong) so I was carrying a spare. Additionally, the weak point in terms of breakage would be the chain, so I was carrying two strands of 4-links, and four clip master links and the MotionPro chain tool, so I figured I could field-splice a repair if need be.

The first issue was just bad timing. The chains started stretching from Anacortes. That's when the clock started ticking. Probably would have been OK if that was the only issue, but...

Next, what I didn't anticipate was that we'd have so many reroutes that would add so many miles onto our trip. If all had gone well, we'd have been able to get to Anchorage in 2700 miles. If we had to we could cut out Telegraph Creek, and get there in 2540 miles total. Unfortunately, by the time we got to Stewart, we'd already laid down 1520 miles, and we had another 1500 to go.

And so began the incessant prayers to the chain and sprocket gods... non-stop lubrication, and near continuous observation and documentation of each atom of steel as it left the rear teeth.

Remember, it's a friday. It's Canada. And it's Victoria Day weekend (monday is a holiday). We're in Stewart, BC.

Not a lot of motorcycle shops there. Not any, actually.

Stay tuned.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-19-2010 at 04:33 AM
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:45 AM   #3032
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock

probably shoulda taken our helmets off.

my brother and i use one of these quick-connects

Echo Quick Release Helmet Buckle ALL HEMETS NEW QUICK

The ECHO Quick Release EXCEEDS the testing standards of D.O.T. FMVSS218; Snell M2005; and N.I.J. 0104.02.
No accidental release: Metal-to-metal ECHO locking feature requires pressure from both sides to release.
Does not require modification of original helmet strap. Will not void original helmet warranty.
Makes helmet easier to put on and remove
Position the Echo Quick Release once, and the next time you put your helmet on, no adjustment is necessary.
Removing the helmet is as easy as pressing on both sides of the ECHO Quick Release Nylon Body, easier than separating the original double "D" ring closure.
Extra benefit for cold weather/Snowmobile riders - ECHO Quick Release can be fastened and released while wearing gloves.

you can use it with gloves on. its so easy to take off your helmet 1 handed with gloves that when we take a 1 minute breather in the woods i pop off my helmet while everyone else stands around with helmets on. eventually i ended up cutting off the D-rings and cutting the other strap shorter so it doesnt flap in the wind.
you should try one, they can be found for $4
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you

sallydog screwed with this post 06-19-2010 at 06:19 AM
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:51 AM   #3033
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Yeah.

'bout that.

Stay tuned.

Looking forward to this....
Old 06-19-2010, 10:59 AM   #3034
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydog
my brother and i use one of these quick-connects
We actually both have those. We were just too cold and wet to be bothered, I think. I know, weird. Looking back at the photos, we're both asking ourselves "what were we thinking?"
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-20-2010, 10:28 AM   #3035
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,587
I bet that was really tense worrying about those sprockets. I know I would have been. I have seen guys tighten the chain up real tight after the sprockets stripped but that doesn't work very well for very long.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #3036
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,034
Please tell me that after you replaced those sprockets that you kept them as trophies?

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?” Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #3037
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630

Cold, damp n' misty, looks like home to me
You summed it up best Dr R.,I know exactly what you mean, BC is WILD

Well done on the Stewart picher series LDF
I like the B&W belt wheels best.

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:06 PM   #3038
Game over
Haha

Oddometer: 137
Just caught up with reading, as usual, amazing scenery, amazing stories, amazing world we live in, thanks Dr. Rock & LDF.
Game over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:12 AM   #3039
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Thanks for the feedback

Everyone.

Glad y'all are enjoying it. Sorry about being slow to post, thanks for your patience. FWIW, I am getting a little faster at photo processing. If anyone is interested in out-takes, you can poke around the Mobius 5 gallery.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:19 AM   #3040
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 9: Saturday May 22, 2010

Another cold and wet morning. But the forecast was "improving conditions." We were definitely feeling due for some sunshine and warmth.

Despite my outwardly composed demeanor, I had that knot in my stomach about the chain and sprockets. The same one you get when you think you may have miscalculated your fuel range, or thought you heard a couple of misfires in your engine, or had trouble changing gears the last couple of shifts, or you smell oil burning or... well, you know what I mean. I was still conceiving of, considering, and prioritizing alternatives of how this problem might play out.

TKC-90 update:

Old 06-21-2010, 08:22 AM   #3041
La Donna Fugata
You're not the boss of me

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antontrax

Cold, damp n' misty, looks like home to me
You summed it up best Dr R.,I know exactly what you mean, BC is WILD

Well done on the Stewart picher series LDF
I like the B&W belt wheels best.
Thank you.....I am carrying those tips from you and will continue to practice, practice, practice....
La Donna Fugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:26 AM   #3042
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

A little taste

of the ride from Stewart to Hyder, and the border crossing.

We had briefly met two couples the day before at the King Edward who were riding trikes with trailers and recommended we stay at the Selaska Inn in Hyder. I remember that now, because we would run into them again over the next couple of days.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:36 AM   #3043
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Salmon Glacier

Salmon glacier is along a Forest Service road that winds its way out of Hyder on the U.S. side of the boarder, and six miles later re-enters Canada following the Salmon River.

To see the glacier is an out-and-back ride. Our gas tanks had about a gallon or so in them. When I scoped out our morning's ride, I was viewing the U.S. topo map only. Six miles out and back -- no problem, we'll fill up with gas when we return to Stewart on our way out.

At six miles, instead of seeing the glacier, I realized that the road continued well into Canada before it rose above the valley where you could see the glacier from above.

Depending how far the road went... gas was going to be a problem.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:38 AM   #3044
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I stopped

to take a photo of some surreal colors at a mining site, and changed over to the Canada maps and checked the mileage to the end of the road. another 25 or so miles.

hmmmm. this is going to be close.

The good news is that the fuel problem was distracting me from ruminating over the chain and sprocket problem.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #3045
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

A few miles later,

we got our first view of the glacier. There was a cloud hanging over the landscape like a drop ceiling in a suburban rec-room basement. If you look in the upper right of the photo, you can see where the road continues.