Old 10-24-2010, 04:47 PM   #3646
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
The road

alternated between gravel and paved,

we could see our right turn approaching on the GPS

and then we saw the road we wanted as a cut in the trees:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #3647
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

When we got to the corner

we met this ADV guy who's name neither of us can remember.

he's from British Columbia and was visiting his brother who is working in the area. We had a nice chat. He was out exploring on his own, and gave us the 411 on the road out to the camp, townsite and mine.

Again, if anyone recognizes him, send our regards!

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-24-2010, 04:55 PM   #3648
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

About 20 miles to go

and the road straight away narrows and becomes a bit more deteriorated and grown in...

Old 10-24-2010, 05:01 PM   #3649
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The butterflies start

or are we just hungry?

Old 10-24-2010, 05:44 PM   #3650
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,283
augh! A cliffhanger!
Old 10-24-2010, 05:56 PM   #3651
La Donna Fugata
You're not the boss of me

Oddometer: 153
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timk519
augh! A cliffhanger!
Ahhh and a cliff hanger it is...you just wait.....
La Donna Fugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:59 PM   #3652
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Donna Fugata
Ahhh and a cliff hanger it is...you just wait.....
you're just being evil....
Old 10-24-2010, 06:45 PM   #3653
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The first

of three washouts...

Old 10-24-2010, 06:50 PM   #3654
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The BIG

water crossing...

How could you miss that sign?
Old 10-24-2010, 06:54 PM   #3655
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Where we're headed:

shadows getting long.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:56 PM   #3656
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The nastiest

section: crazy, just crazy.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:05 PM   #3657
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

At what appeared to be

the end of the road, there was a little parking area, and these signs:

Just beyond that, was a shack with a lovely front porch,

and these two guys who were working on the restoration project who gave us instructions on how to get to the campsite.

Not a bad view... it's the Yukon River. They were lamenting on how with the Top of the World being closed, the canoe trips had all been canceled.

so we got back on the bikes, and headed along the river bank.

Coming up... Nachtflug makes a guest appearance.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #3658
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

There was a guide

who had apparently taken a couple of French tourists up the river in his little motorboat. The old prospector / guide looked a dead-ringer for Nacht. I kid you not. In his scraggly beard phase. Is that still going on?

The Frenchmen looked so out of place and a little freaked out.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:20 PM   #3659
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Turns out

where we'd stopped was the town site. Joe, the caretaker was in his hut with a wood stove burning. He had us sign the guest book, and told us there was firewood out at the campsites on the point.

Back on the bikes a bit further. And we were there.

We wasted no time getting some appetizers on the table, water filtered, and fire burning -- the bugs were a bit thick.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:25 PM   #3660
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

A little walk-around

to scope out potential for bear attacks

then it was back to eatin'

mmmm. chorizo

made from pingo meat.