Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #4096
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Donna Fugata View Post
bloody hey. What a dumb shit I am. ......will be watching you.

LDF - I wouldn't be too concerned, Good motochicks are way to hard to come by - he would never risk it! Now that would be a "dumb shit" move.
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:54 AM   #4097
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Donna Fugata View Post
bloody hey. What a dumb shit I am. ......will be watching you.

Easy there girl. Your hubby gets the "Dork among us" award for "almost" losing his wedding ring.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #4098
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Tuesday May 17th 2011 M7 day 5

I'm splitting time between photos & RR of M7 and routing / GPS for M8!

So back to the story:

Tok to Haines Jct.

click image below for detail

We woke up and noticed the guest book near the dishwashing area:

We were the first to sign in for the season! Do we win a prize?

It was comforting to see that our friends Ariel & Brendon from MotoQuest were the last guests to sign in from last year!

We broke down camp. Our plan was to stop in Tok for gas, and ask for local intel regarding whether the Top of the World and boarder crossing was open yet.

I figured I'd be able to poach some WiFi in town and check the Yukon DOT web site. I knew the river had broken up, but the ferry still wasn't running as of when we'd left Anchorage.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 08-12-2011 at 06:22 AM
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #4099
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The first place we asked

was the visitor's center. The volunteer told us "of course it's open... they faxed the new border hours to us just last week."

I remained skeptical.

We rode across the street to where she'd told us there was WiFi, and tried to check for myself, but...

The connection must have been loose as I had it charging overnight.

We decided to let it charge for a few minutes while we fueled up, and at the gas station we ran into some US border agents. They confirmed that the Canadian border would be closed a few more days while they were repairing the TOW highway.

Figuring that was as reliable info as we'd get, we headed on down the Alaska Highway.

Not ideal, but not the end of the world either.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 07-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #4100
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Routine

Early season. Lakes still frozen.

Even though it was sunny, it was still pretty chilly. We were running road we'd done before when we did the big go-around to get to the Dempster on M6.

We knew which stops had good grub, etc. Maximum miles, minimum adventure.

Home made:

One last big slurp of cheap gas, and then:

Old 07-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #4101
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The border between

The US and Canada presents the potential for an interesting situation:

The inspection / customs houses are separated by about 20 miles (american, 10 kilometers in the other direction). It's conceivable that you could leave the US (or Canada), and be denied entry into where you're headed. Then if you turn around to go back, you could be denied entry back into wherever you came from. Like say, if you were mexican, or something. In fact, this defacto DMZ, this no-man's land, is populated with just such ex-ex-patriots. They forage amidst the tundra and scrub for whatever berries they can, competing with the bear and the elusive border moose, sustaining themselves by sucking whatever nutrition they can from ketchup-stained french fry containors thrown out of the windows of american RV's, and eventually starve to death when the tourists dwindle and the winter winds howl.

Really sad, actually. If I were a movie star, or other kind of celebrity, this would be my charity-cause. Definitely.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #4102
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Who says there's no dirt

on the AlCan?

There's tons of dirt.

"We lied about the bear spray... why would we have bear spray??? You don't have any BEARS in Canada, do you???"

Old 07-18-2011, 11:24 AM   #4103
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

A few words on frost heaves...

AND a live bear-sighting caught on video!

just as I was starting to get a little bored, too.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:13 PM   #4104
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Updates on M8 plans

1. I now have secured 70% of the vacation days necessary for M8. Fingers crossed for getting the rest.

2. After lots of research and long contemplation, I've finally pulled the trigger on a major Drz improvement. I found this thread especially fascinating (and strangely disturbing -- 9 pages???). Without giving away too many details... until they arrive and are installed, I have to say I think is going to be the one thing that puts Honeybee way over the top in performance, durability, fuel efficiency, comfort, AND style.

I can't wait.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #4105
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
I found this thread especially fascinating (and strangely disturbing -- 9 pages???).

9 PAGES, UNBELIEVABLE!!!....in a sad and pathetic way.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:16 PM   #4106
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus View Post
9 PAGES, UNBELIEVABLE!!!....in a sad and pathetic way.
EXCEPT, at the same time, having tassels is gonna be really, really awesome.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #4107
jeickerman
Full of it.

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
EXCEPT, at the same time, having tassels is gonna be really, really awesome.
Agreed, you will be at the cusp of a new farkle for all adventure touring bikes. Touratech is already working on the engineering for the new GS', however, they project a 6-12 month wait for shipping.

John
jeickerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #4108
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeickerman View Post
Agreed, you will be at the cusp of a new farkle for all adventure touring bikes. Touratech is already working on the engineering for the new GS', however, they project a 6-12 month wait for shipping.
CNC machined T6061 Aluminum tassles, coming soon!
Old 07-21-2011, 07:13 PM   #4109
perryg114
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Personally I think the ape hanger bars are the way to go. I mean if they are good enough for a Harley they must be even better on a DRZ.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #4110
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Personally I think the ape hanger bars are the way to go. I mean if they are good enough for a Harley they must be even better on a DRZ.

Perry

I want Ape Hangers

for my Ruckus.

Wish I was a headlight.
Stan Dalone is offline   Reply With Quote