User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2011, 07:06 AM   #4156
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
This was a strange day

It started out with the diesel generator kicking in at 6am, but at least the weather was nice:

We were riding out of the rockies, into flatter terrain, but in the morning, at least, we had some nice scenery:

still a long way to Ft. St. John:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:11 AM   #4157
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Sure enough

we rolled into farm land,

and civilization:

well, sort of. The bears became two-dimensional,

This is Fort Nelson:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 08-12-2011, 07:15 AM   #4158
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Sometimes

I just agree with what she says. You know, so as not to argue.

I know that's not a baby moose.

It's a caribelk.

a distant relative to the jackalope.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:17 AM   #4159
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Video message

to Sallydog: (he asked me to scout out some things for his upcoming trip)

I think we were too long on pavement at this point.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:24 AM   #4160
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Fortunately

in my boredom, fiddling through the various map sets on the GPS, I spotted a decommissioned road that looked like it looped back to the alaskan highway. We gave it a shot:

yahoo!!! dirt, water crossings, and everything.

Kick-ass Just the morale boost we needed.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:53 PM   #4161
konaunit1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
This view greeted us in the morning.

It looked to be a nice day. Looking back, really, the day was about getting to a safe harbor. We visited with our camping neighbors,

That's a king-sized bed in the 3-room suite that folds out of the one trailer,

and a heated hot-tub in another. They were a hoot.

red velvet lined, and fuzzy slippers...

They're from Seattle, and were going to be on the road for several weeks, just taking their time. Deb is the name of the girl on the right, and she's a pistol.

Anyway, Hi, guys...

hope the rest of your trip was A-OK! We saw you drive by us a couple of days later, but I don't think you saw us.

Doc,LDF. Let me just say that I am not the post whore,comment on every thread type person. I usually read a report look at the pics and comment to myself how awesome a trip looks. But I stumbled on your thread while at work 4 days ago and haven't really left the computer since. I am in the Navy and work on P-3's on Whidbey Island WA. The reason I linked this page was because as I was scrolling thru down looking at all the wonderful pictures I noticed faces I recognize. Third pic down of the older couple is my neighbors. Larry and Loretta, amazing small world when you think about it. Not to long ago they were telling me abou the trip to Alaska they to aboard their goldwings, seems I found proof .You guys where less than 10 miles from their house when you were in Anacortes (mine also) Wish I knew I would of ridden up to BC with you!

Absolutly a wonderful R/R the pictures and commetary are top notch. Seems kind of funny that you are an ER doc condidering almost all the women in my life are ER nurses. Please keep it coming as This has truly been inspiring. I am in the long process of trying to work out a TAT trip with my buddy after I retire in 6 years. This might be a bit of an adventue since my buddy has just got back to riding bikes after a 10 year hiatus after becoming a para in a bike accident 11 years ago. But both he and I are determined to do it.

Again I hope you and LDF have many more fantastic trip so myself and others may enjoy reading about them!!! Happy trails and keep it up!!!
Rich
konaunit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #4162
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Thanks, Rich. We'll be sure to look you up if Mobius swings that way again. All the best planning, and riding the TAT with your buddy. It will be quite an undertaking. I'm always available by PM for questions or advice.

PS: for the record, I'm not ER, I'm Anesthesia and Critical Care. That said, I just got back from a trip down to the ER to check out a trauma patient who might be coming up to the OR soon. I gotta agree with you, ER nurses are pretty awesome.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #4163
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Speaking of trauma...

the rockies started to flatten out, the roads were straighter,

We stopped for a fuel top-off at a surreal work camp at Buckinghorse river:

It was grim. Gas field workers were living like veal in trailers/shipping containers. The mess hall was where you had to go to pay for gas, and use the bathroom. The men's room was right inside the door, so I went inside, paid, and popped into the can. LDF had to traverse the pristine dining hall to get to the wimmen's room, and they insisted that she take off her (non-muddy) boots. I mean, I understand the "no muddy work-boots inside" policy in general, but c'mon, get a life.

Anyway, her rain pants zipper jumped the rails, and the mood was grumpy all around. There was a guy who had driven up from somewhere way south like Vancouver to help his sister move out of an abusive relationship, and his truck transmission had shit the bed, and he was asking anyone who stopped if they knew how to fix a pick-up tranny, and it was just grim.

We rolled on, not in the best of spirits. About a 45 minutes later, LDF slows down, and I hear on the squawk box, "hey, looks like a bad accident just happened."

We stop at the scene, and there's a van and a semi-truck pulled over, and way down the embankment there's a silver sedan that has driven off the road, jumped the ditch/creek, and smashed onto the far bank. The passenger door's open, and the driver is a large middle-aged woman sitting there.

We speak with the woman in the van, and she's on the phone with 911, and tells us an ambulance is on the way, about 45 minutes to arrive. The truck driver is down with the woman. It looks like this all went down about 2 minutes ago, but I ask the van lady how long ago it happened, and she says the truck driver saw it happen about a half-hour ago.

I hustle down to the wrecked car to see what I can do to help.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #4164
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The next hour and a half

were spent administering first-aid. I can't recall feeling more helpless.

As cars passed, they would stop, assess the level of expertise at the scene, and either stay or go. If they had more to offer than those there they would stay, and if not, they would move on. In the hour and a half we were there, there were about 3 changes of personnel. By the time EMS arrived, we had myself and LDF, a nurse, a medic, a fairly comprehensive first-aid kit, we'd build a bridge with an empty pallet from the truck to get her across the little stream, and even had some of her work colleagues stop as they were returning to Ft. Nelson, and they were able to tell us a bit about her medical history.

The upshot is that she had a history of sleep apnea and headaches, she had high blood pressure and diabetes, she was heading to Ft. St. John to get a CT scan to evaluate her headaches, she was eating a salad (bean sprouts everywhere) when she crashed, air-bags deployed, shit herself, got out of the car and walked around, called her daughter on her cell phone, was completely oriented when the truck driver got to her, and in the hour and a half we were with her exhibited the classic... no, CLASSIC lucid interval following an epidural hematoma. Within about 5 minutes, my opinion was that she needed neurosurgery about 30 minutes ago.

[Aside] -- best movie (ironically, Canadian) ever to use an epidural hematoma as a plot device: Jesus of Montreal.

Now, in Manhattan, at Bellevue where I work, our average transport time from scene to hospital is 10 minutes. TEN. I passed the time with the nurse and the medic swapping stories... supporting the victim's airway, cleaning up when she vomited, notifying EMS that she was suffering mental status changes and encouraging them to consider air transport.

It was kind of agonizing. I knew what the woman needed, and I was pretty sure it wasn't going to happen in time. It made me think long and hard about the risks we take. ATGATT doesn't protect from someone driving into you. And Spot... so you hit the button... it's still gonna be hours HOURS before you get to definitive care. It's a real possibility that's gonna be too long. The stakes are high, even on a highly traveled road like the Al-Can.

Eventually EMS showed up, and then the police. We all worked together to slide her out of the car, onto the backboard, over the pallet-bridge, and into the ambulance. EMS had arranged for a helicopter to meet them half-way to Ft. St. John, and it was only then that we snapped a few photos:

Not fun.

About 45 minutes later, we heard & saw what we presumed was the medivac headed to meet the ambulance: it's above the trees on the right.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 08-13-2011 at 05:21 PM
Old 08-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #4165
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,499
Quote:
were spent administering first-aid. I can't recall feeling more helpless.

...snip...

It made me think long and hard about the risks we take. ATGATT doesn't protect from someone driving into you. And Spot... so you hit the button... it's still gonna be hours HOURS before you get to definitive care. It's a real possibility that's gonna be too long. The stakes are high, even on a highly traveled road like the Al-Can.
First, thanks for stopping and helping as best as you could. I hope it was not in vain.

This is what life is like outside the bubbles of civilization in the northern hemisphere. [shrug] Its still leaps and bounds above what is in the third world areas.

Most of us in the rural west US wonder what keeps you packed in like sardines in NYC.

Ah well, enough philosophy.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #4166
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
Doc/LDF,

At least you were there to give the help you could-take solace in that. Sometimes doing the right thing has no reward... for anyone... but that doesn't make it any less honorable. I believe we reap what we sew (as described in the Bible) so just be sure you keep sewing good into the world because it's sorely needed.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:56 AM   #4167
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 819
Yep, it's a helpless feeling out in the middle of nowhere waiting for help to arrive. Been there myself both fire and medical situations. You did the best you could and that's all you can do.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:47 AM   #4168
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,079
Dave and Francine...I am not surprised that you guys would do as much as you could do, and though you felt helpless I am sure that the woman couldn't have been in better hands than yours at the moment, given the conditions.
Obviously you weren't going to relieve the brain pressure there, but I am curious if this incident made you rethink your first-aid kit at all?
I was thinking about one time I was riding with you and I Barry (DocGonzo) and I hit something and went down (very minor) and thinking if I crashed bad I could have worse people riding behind me.
RichBeBe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #4169
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,992
Quote:
It made me think long and hard about the risks we take.

In the , many gates, section of the nevada TAT I hit a barbed wire gate at about 40 mph. I skint my elbows and got a sore knee. Pretty lucky i think. We were hours from anything. 3 of with GPS but no maps. We didn't really know exactly where we were. It was scary when it happened and it still haunts me from time to time, thinking about how much worse it could have been.

BUT, I think about all the people i know who exist but don't really live.

To me it seems pointless to go through life and not do the things that you want to do,.....ain't none of us getting out of here alive.
rufus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #4170
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
Obviously you weren't going to relieve the brain pressure there, but I am curious if this incident made you rethink your first-aid kit at all?
Well, that was the frustration -- it wasn't a macguyver-able problem. I saw straight away what she needed -- I even tried to envision it was something else, hypoglycemia, for instance, but aside from cleaning and dressing a cut on her hand, and addressing the hot mess in her pants, she didn't really need anything else that could be done in the field. She didn't really need first-aid, she needed a CT scan and an operation asap.

What I do at work is so far removed from what goes on in the field it isn't even funny. I'm not one of those doc's who goes up to EMS on the street and asks if they need any help. I know better. I've always recognized and respected the expertise of first responders. When I see them at an accident scene in NYC, I just step back and stay out of their way. Even in a typical NYC patient's EMS to ED to OR to ICU progression I'm impatient and feel that things are happening slower than I want them to, but seeing first-hand the delay to definitive care inherent in the distances out there was a real eye-opener.

Regarding our first-aid kit, there's nothing I could have packed that would have helped an isolated bad head injury -- outcome is going to be completely related to speed to decompression.

I think the single most important piece of a first-aid kit to have, and to know how and when to use, is a tourniquet. After that, is having the means to call for help. Third, is a way to protect from exposure if there's gonna be a long wait. Fourth would maybe be how to splint/immobilize, but even that's not really critical, unless you've got to move before EMS arrives. Everything else is gravy -- clean water to drink and wash out wounds, dressings, antimicrobial ointment, a big needle to decompress a tension pneumothorax, benadryl for an allergic reaction, something for pain. When you get right down to it, it's not much. #'s 1 & 2 above are the big impact items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus View Post
BUT, I think about all the people i know who exist but don't really live.

To me it seems pointless to go through life and not do the things that you want to do,.....ain't none of us getting out of here alive.
Amen to that. The experience didn't change result of the equation, just gave me a little better idea as to the variables.