Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2011, 08:12 AM   #4351
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,131
You guys are really an inspiration; both your love of riding and exploring, and your love for each other.

You guys ROCK!

Q~

Questor screwed with this post 12-26-2011 at 08:35 AM
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:23 AM   #4352
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu_dan View Post
Thanks for the Christmas card, guys! I look forward to it each year

+1

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:04 AM   #4353
msmetz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Now that's a Christmas card!
Old 12-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #4354
La Donna Fugata
You're not the boss of me

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by folknride View Post
Francine and David, it was so great meeting you and riding with you for a few days. I hope 2012 is full of joy and adventure for you.
I don't have a Christmas scene pic (it's +5 here - could ride if it wasn't so icy), but here's one of my favorite songs about the season.

(for your amusement)

Ron
Thanks for sharing your holiday wishes with us Ron. It was great meeting you and riding for a couple of days.

Have a peaceful 2012.

Francine
La Donna Fugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #4355
La Donna Fugata
You're not the boss of me

Oddometer: 155
Thanks everyone for your holiday wishes. Have a great 2012 celebration.

LDF
La Donna Fugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:21 AM   #4356
bluemtnridr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Dave,Francine

Hope the holiday season is finding you two well. Looking forward to reading about your adventures last fall. If you ever find yourselves in my neck of the woods you are always welcome. We will cook meat with fire.

JD
bluemtnridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:37 PM   #4357
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
I had hoped to be well into the ride report by now, and instead I'm still working on photos. Please accept this holiday card as a little preview, , and know that there will be some M8 photos and video coming to a ride report near you between now and the new year.
the self imposed deadline draws near
DRRambler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:49 PM   #4358
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Here we go!

The saga of Mobius-8.

It's been a busy fall/winter so far. Apologies for the delay. If I had to describe the last three months, it would be sprinting through molassas.

No matter. I finally have all the 2000+ photos run through Lightroom, and reflecting on the trip, I can only describe this Mobius as unequivocally EPIC.

To use a Dakar analogy (Go Neduro!!!) describing the last two Mobius trips: if M7 (Anchorage to Edmonton) was a transit, then M8 was a (super) special section.

M8 started in Edmonton, headed west into the Canadian Rockies, "suffered" some pavement heading south on the Icefields Parkway, and then tapped into the Tour of Idaho route -- (which gets translated in Mobius-speak to the "Tura I'doh!"), ending two weeks and 2300+ miles later at Questor & MotoAdventureGal's home base in Idaho Falls.

The Tour of Idaho is a bitchin' rough ride, and hat's off to anyone who completes it on spec. It's some spectacular riding, and what we saw of it was impressive. But even better, was sharing parts of our ride with other ADV'ers. We had the pleasure and honor of riding for several days with Dave, Ron, and then JD, and it was awesome.

Here's what the Canadian section looked like,

and the U.S.:

Adventure and Mobius hijinx to follow, with some (hopefully) good stories nice photos, insightful video and introspective analysis... so on with the show.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 12-30-2011 at 06:21 PM
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:51 PM   #4359
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Sorry,

I have to take a moment to catch up on various Dakar rally threads.

Back in a minute.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 12-30-2011, 05:56 PM   #4360
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We love you JD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemtnridr View Post
We will cook meat with fire.
JD

Preview:

Old 12-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #4361
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Mobius 8 intros and departure

We had a mascot for this one. Lent by our niece Caileanna... "Monkey in a tree", and a new t-shirt (for me, not aunt Francine):

Friday 9-9-11, the flight was uneventful... Bags weighed in well under the new airline limit. We had a layover somewhere where we could drink beer... Denver, maybe?

(an omen?)

and before we knew it, we were in Edmonton,

and despite the late hour, we were graciously picked up from the airport by Dave and Wanitta !
Old 12-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #4362
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

09/10/11: Mobius 8, Day #1

Despite being post-call, and a long day traveling, we woke early, and started bike prep. Our goal was to have wheels rolling by mid-day. If you recall, we'd done a bunch of maintenance at the end of M7, and all we had to do were a few minor projects, and pack.

Wanitta served as the official Mobius seamstress, reinforcing LDF's sweetcheeks, and as a bonus cooked a killer breakfast for the intrepid travellers.

Yum and thanks!!
Old 12-30-2011, 06:35 PM   #4363
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Dave & Ron

would be riding with us for a few days. Dave on a DR650 that he's prepping for a run to Tierra Del Fuego, and Ron on a KTM950.

We spent some time syncing and connecting four Scala units which would enable us to speak.

Unfortunately, each unit can only connect with at most two others. Since we'd be four, you do the math... we'd be playing a bit of phone-tag to communicate a message across the board, but in the end it worked out fine.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:03 PM   #4364
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Our route

would take us a bit south, and then due west of Edmonton, into the foothills of the Rockies:

Here's what the elevation looked like:

A bit of a climb. We didn't really have a specific destination, but anticipated that if we rode far enough towards the mountains, that there'd be some opportunity to camp. The weather was looking grand, so we departed with not much of a worry.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:06 PM   #4365
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Before we go any further

I have to introduce the single greatest dirt bike upgrade, EVER.

Leather tassels.

Admit it. You're jealous already.