User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2011, 01:15 PM   #4396
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,522
The next section

took us through an area that was being mined for coal.

Next to the road we were riding on was another huge track that was used by ginormous dump trucks to haul earth. The massive culvert you see below is an underpass for the haul road above.

between the heavy industrial vibe, and the grey clouds, our alpine wonderland had morphed into an apocalyptic dystopia.

We ended up losing about a half hour here, this rig was stuck in the mud, and we had to bust out the tow strap and hook up Blueberry to get him moving again. He was quite appreciative.

You can see the tunnel in the side of the mountain where the monster trucks live:

Closer:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:27 PM   #4397
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Next up

was the town of Cadomin,

which, despite the sign, and the proximity to the industrial complex, was quite tidy.

No gas, no stop.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 12-31-2011, 01:31 PM   #4398
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We had a discussion

about the best way to get to Hinton from this point, given the threatening weather.

I'd heard of some ATV trail that cut along a ridge and dropped into Hinton, but between Ron and Dave having bigger bikes, and the inclement weather, we decided to stick to actual roads.

it was the right call. we started to feel sprinkles, and geared up.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:35 PM   #4399
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

On M7, we'd passed

through Hinton, and it was cold and wet and dreary as well. The intercoms proved to be invaluable in town and traffic.

We stopped for gas and food.

We tried to let the system pass, but I think Hinton is just one of those places that gets dumped on weather-wise. Once we'd warmed up, we put on all our layers, and reconciled ourselves to pavement for a spell.

Somewhere up there is a really nice view of mountains. I think.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:14 PM   #4400
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I was still holding out

hope, that the weather would improve as we headed west into the real mountains.

the good news is that we were making good time, and laying down the miles.

glacier melt. with copper?

Not much to say. I'm probably a bit hypothermic at this point.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:37 PM   #4401
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Sure enough

as we headed west

and got closer to Jasper,

the skies started to clear.

We gassed up outside of Jasper, and brainstormed as to where we'd bed down for the night.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:41 PM   #4402
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We flew through Jasper

LDF on her back wheel,

and me trying to snap photos of the sights.

We entered bear country (had we really left it?)

and headed south on the Ice Fields Parkway.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:53 PM   #4403
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We jumped on

Highway 1A (the Bow Valley Parkway) which runs on the other side of the river from 93, and offers less traffic.

though not NO traffic. We all had to joust with this Canadian muscle car through the curves one at a time to get past:

Old 12-31-2011, 03:21 PM   #4404
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Right where

1A crosses over and rejoins the Icefields Parkway, we pulled into a parking lot, and Dave and Ron told us that they wanted to show us a waterfall.

We busted out our light shadow color recording devices, and hiked a short way from the bikes to Athabasca Falls:

It was good to get off the bikes.

We still had some daylight left,

the sun was out, it was warm and dry again,

and plus, there'd be plenty of campsites along the parkway. Right?

Right???

We like waterfalls.

Back at the bikes, scoping out where the next campsites are heading south.

Oh wait, I forgot I have this infrared camera... let me run back!

Old 12-31-2011, 03:32 PM   #4405
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

With the fading day

and anticipating dropping temps,

we were keen to find a campground.

Unfortunately, the first one we passed was closed for the season.

as was the second...

and the third!

But no matter, life was good.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:43 PM   #4406
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
Sorry Doc but the fringe has got to go. On the flip side, I like the angry moose decal on the radiator shrouds.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:45 PM   #4407
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We saw this sign

and realized that we were in the thick of it now.

but I could see on the GPS that there was another campground coming up.

We started discussing back and forth via our various intercom connections (remember each of us can only connect with two of the others), whether to ride on ahead directly to the campground,

or to stop at the visitor's center.

before we could complete that conversation, Ron had pulled into the parking lot, hopped off his bike, and was climbing the stairs

while we were left to contemplate this shitty view.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:52 PM   #4408
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post

while we were left to contemplate this shitty view.

Man, that is AWFUL!!! I don't know how you could stand it!

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:58 PM   #4409
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I'm glad we

got to take some photos in this light, 'cause the next morning we were fogged in.

Ron returned with intel that the campground was indeed open, and we headed on up the road a coupla miles,

If I'm not mistaken, we snagged the last two open sites.

We set the meat on the fire, and snacked on fresh veggies and cheese while they cooked.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:06 PM   #4410
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We were treated

to a full-moon rise,

as the sun was setting.

with full bellies, and the night chill, we spent another lovely evening relaxing around the campfire,

So nice not to have a campfire ban like last spring!

Another 200+mile day. This would buy us some slack once we got onto the Tura I'doh.

It was a full day, and we slept well.