Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #4591
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer: 542
Dr. Rock said:
Quote:
Never saw it, just heard it. It was under a rock ledge / prolly in a hole. Didn't have my camera. Wasn't gonna stick around, or go back. Thanked my lucky stars.
An extra good reason to pop out the ear buds and be listening when you walk around in the brush... Some of nature's critters are territorial! (Watch out there City Slickers! )

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:27 AM   #4592
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Back atcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Mike View Post
Dr. Rock said:
An extra good reason to pop out the ear buds and be listening when you walk around in the city... Some of gotham's critters are territorial! (Watch out there City mice! )
fixed.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:11 AM   #4593
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Wednesday, Sept. 21, 2011. M8-day#12

We woke up early, and were really taken with the morning light,

again, Valley + desert + morning =

It was great to be back in the high plains, desert. We had reconciled the fact that we weren't going to be able to complete all the tour of Idaho trail that we'd routed, and we were getting a little beat up chasing down the challenge points. At the same time, we were excited to be riding new terrain. I especially love cruising desert 2-track -- huge sightlines to the horizon means 4-5th gear instead of 2-3rd.

With no showers for a few days, and Chalis just up the road from the campground, we were tempted to shortcut there for hot coffee and breakfast, instead of backtracking a half mile towards Morgan Summit, and picking up the TID trail. In the end, we took the hard way, but with the understanding that any HINT of "red" trail (even if it was labeled "blue" or "green") and we'd bail.

this was also the day we grabbed the Twin Peaks challenge point (sort of), which was the highest elevation of M8, and took our holiday card photo there.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 01-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #4594
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We took some pitchers

while waiting for the sun to dry our gear and warm us up.

we eventually realized we were just gonna have to ride out of the shade.

A short stretch up the main road,

we caught this cut-off that put us back on the TID route -- a nice blue section.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #4595
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

At the top

of that section, we could almost see the ocean.

What a way to start your day!

These were some fantastic tracks. I love riding this terrain. It's my favorite.

Coasting:

Old 01-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #4596
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

At the next intersection

we had a decision to make. Right to an out-and-back up to Twin Peaks Lookout (rated green (!)) for the treasure-box challenge point, or left, straight to Challis.

Such a nice day... easy riding blue so far... I bet it's a great view up there... and it's only rated green(!)...

We went right.

Past some cool rock formations,

through a ranch,

and up and up and up.

LDF was a bit reluctant, and remained skeptical that this wasn't going to turn into a quagmire.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #4597
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We got our first glimpse

of where we were headed... see at the top there?

zoomed way in and cropped:

a little closer:

Old 01-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #4598
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The road

was starting to get narrower, and more rutted the higher we climbed. I think this sign freaked Francine out a little.

The temps were getting warm, and my bike was overheating. I still had radiator concerns, though it didn't seem to be leaking.

Going in and out of the treeline, on such a clear day, with such distant views to the horizon was disorienting. Keeping your focus on the terrain in front of your front wheel, once you lost the trees in your peripheral vision you lost perspective and a sense of speed. If you kept your head up and looked at the horizon, you'd just get dizzy and feel like you were going to need a parachute.

We'd stop every few switchbacks to catch our breath,

take a few pictures,

and let my bike cool down.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-10-2012 at 10:40 AM
Old 01-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #4599
La Donna Fugata
You're not the boss of me

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
was starting to get narrower, and more rutted the higher we climbed. I think this sign freaked Francine out a little.

This sign did indeed set the tone in my head. In retrospect I wish I would have just ignored it. Not sure that would have made a difference though.

La Donna Fugata screwed with this post 01-10-2012 at 11:04 AM
La Donna Fugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #4600
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The trail

emerged completely from the treeline. It steepened considerably, had big rocks interspersed with loose gravel and ruts. It had fully transitioned from green to blue to screaming neon RED. Meanwhile, at the same time that I was struggling with my engine overheating, I was trying to gauge how much further we had to the top. The GPS was showing 3 more switchbacks, but three switchbacks later, it was clear we had a ways to go.

We were communicating on and off with the Scala's. LDF would express fear , swear , say she couldn't go any further , and then ride on . No different from HUNDREDS of other challenging sections we've ridden.

I take full responsibility for what happened next. Initially the following video was banned from the ride report. But if adventure is merely adversity warmly remembered, it seems that enough time has passed that it can now be filed under "we'll laugh about this someday." LDF's only request is that she can issue a disclaimer before it is posted.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #4601
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post

I take full responsibility for what happened next. Initially the following video was banned from the ride report. But if adventure is merely adversity warmly remembered, it seems that enough time has passed that it can now be filed under "we'll laugh about this someday." LDF's only request is that she can issue a disclaimer before it is posted.

Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #4602
La Donna Fugata
You're not the boss of me

Oddometer: 153
the climb to the top

This is not pretty.....

My immediate reaction was to confiscate the video cam but in retrospect it is pretty funny. I'm glad I can still laugh at myself..... and carry on.
La Donna Fugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #4603
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,819

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #4604
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,131
Oh.. the drama!