Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #4741
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
There usually is gas in Plush. Haven't looked at your track so maybe that won't help. Be sure to pick Dave's (Wachs) brain well. He has ridden that area many, many times and keeps up on things like that 'cuz he rides through there at least twice a year.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #4742
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,123
As best I remember the B&B at Diamond has a gas tank and we got Lunch and Gas from them one year.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:10 AM   #4743
taco250
wannabe adventurer

David,

Got a pm from Wachs and he said there is gas at the Narrows which is about 20-30 miles north of Frenchglen. Also mentioned that your trip through there and he said he'd be happy to advise.

Stuart

www.benddualsport.com

Old 03-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #4744
rugbyrtcwka
railroader

Oddometer: 512
That's what you get!!!

For not heading east to Winnipeg. We've been riding for couple weeks already and not had to worry about snow any where. I'll convince you guys to head up this way yet!
Old 03-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #4745
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,503
In 2009 there was gas at Fields Station and by Crane. See mape below.

This is all F800GS navigable, but was occasionally challanging.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #4746
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,447
have just went thru the whole report up to now.... you guys are too much.... i can't say how much i dig your style... my buddy's an needle doc too, and i've turned him on to y'all, maybe i can even get him to ride.... i really can't express how much i've enjoyed this, and your attitudes.... big cojones probably ain't gonna work out too good on these trips, you guys definitely have the correct perspectives. you've never said, "hey baby, hold my Jim Beam and watch this...".......

ain't gonna say that this is the best report ever, cause' i don't really think that's what this is about, and don't think you'd actually want it. just a tremendous documentary, i like it more than charley and ewan, you guys don't whine at all like they do.... i mean, you all live in NYC, it's kinda like saying 'miles' was better than 'joe henderson' was better than 'tom waits' and on and on.... i think you get the idea....

i'm a noob at this, trying to get my 450 SMR rigged to ride something like this. haven't read anymore tire reports? i'd really like to know how did that Mefo rear compare w/the MT21 for the long distance road wear? i gotta get some tires....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #4747
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
you've never said, "hey baby, hold my Jim Beam and watch this...".......
well said
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #4748
desmodab
Oversized Canuck

Oddometer: 254
Hey Doc Roc - absolutely phenomenal photos and great write up - thanks for taking me along...

dd
desmodab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #4749
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaStrom View Post
well said
an i gotta say... i ain't being sexist... i know chicks that'd say the same thing....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #4750
jetdoctor
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 159
Doc and LDF,
It is great to see you are still going--imagine, 318 pages! I remember back when you two were picking up Blueberry, and heading out on the TAT .
I was looking backwards through the report, and saw some KTM's. I thought that you had ditched the DRZs but then saw them in all of their glory. Mine has done little else than collect dust since it was returned East after the TAT.
Since you are going to be returning to Idaho, I have some great connections in Boise who can tell you anything you want to know about the area, or get you hooked up if you need any work done. PM me if you need anything.

Best wishes on the next leg of the Mobius tour,
Doug Walker

See my Pictures at:
http://www.pbase.com/jetdoctor
jetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #4751
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
M9 Final draft posted

I've edited the M9 prelim route thread in "Laying Down Tracks" and uploaded the final draft of our route, now in 4-part harmony. The route has been cross-referenced to Benchmark Atlases (which we'll be carrying) and digitally scouted and pre-run with a low-altitude fly-through on Google Earth.

Some notes:

Many of the trails & roads we've routed do NOT appear on City Navigator North America. Most ARE on the 24K topo series maps, which are auto-routeable. The few that don't appear there are on the Topo 2008 maps, which unfortunately are only routeable using direct point-to-point.

As a rule, when using auto-routing, my settings are Follow Road, Shortest distance, all "Avoid" options UNchecked (off). Because various computers and GPS's have their own algorithms for auto-routing, I've converted our intended routes to tracks, and included them in the posted .gpx files. I'm using the latest BaseCamp on a Mac, and our trusty 60/76csx units.

Dave (AlbertaStrom) will be joining us for sure. If anyone else is considering riding with us for a bit, you're more than welcome. Cell service will be nil for the most part, and we have no clue how far we'll get each day, but knowing our route, and following along with Spot it should be possible to intercept and hook up with us, especially if we know to expect you.

You'll be able to anticipate our snow-related detours by simultaneously opening both our .gpx files, and the latest daily Snow Analysis overlay .kmz file (available here, left column) in Google Earth. Once open, switch from "Snow Water Equivalent" to "Snow Depth". Pretty cool, eh?

Click on image for bigger version:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:23 AM   #4752
taco250
wannabe adventurer

I think your biggest battle on this trip will be snow. My friends back in Central OR have told me it's still fairly cold and that they are still getting the occasional 1-2" of snow at 3k'. It usually melts off by the end of the day but that means it's not melting at higher elevations. Most of your trip will be above 3-4k. I know it looks pretty flat out there but the tracks often go over small hills or down into canyons that can remain clogged with snow until mid July. One thing is sure.. it will another adventure but I know you both are ready and will be able to handle it. ENJOY!

www.benddualsport.com

Old 04-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #4753
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post

What a fantastic shot
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:50 AM   #4754
jeickerman
Full of it.

Oddometer: 142
Great photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaStrom View Post
What a fantastic shot
agreed, that goes down in my book as one of the best photos of all of these trips.

John
jeickerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #4755
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Here's the version cleaned up a bit with Lightroom. We printed a copy for her dad:

I think it'd look just fine on the front page every once in a while.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote