Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #4891
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 838
The Doc's reporting of Mobius lacks nothing in my opinion and could not convey the true spirit of the ride more accurately. But I would like to humbly add my 2 cents here and there. Perhaps it will add a different perspective, or embellish the exaggerations (like the 10 foot Rattler we saw). Besides, I can't write/photograph/narrate like him, so I'll let him do the heavy lifting.
BIG thank-you to DR. Rock and LDF for having me along.
Thank-you Questor for your hospitality. It was fantastic having you with us.
AND glorp is delish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
The second was the social aspect of riding with other people. LDF and I agreed that having folks ride with us here and there on M8 (and other sections) really added to the experience, so we were really looking forward to having Dave join us for the whole two weeks of M9. Having Q join us for the first few days was a welcome bonus.
The undertaking of a Mobius leg was truly an experience that will linger in my memory (and my arms) for a long long time. When I joined Doc and LDF for a few days during M8, I was concerned that I would disrupt the Mobius karma. I knew them to be generous and gracious hosts from my visit to the Adventure loft but what about riding with them? How would their major corporate mustard sponsor feel about a tag-along? They took me in and showed me what Mobius was all about....or so I thought, M9 would be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
I think we're pretty explicit in our descriptions of how we roll, but if I had to guess, maybe Q, but especially Dave (and maybe even LDF ) had to re-calibrate expectations of what it takes to ride along with the Mobius traveling circus. This was a tough one.

at times it was way over the top, and my riding partners probably wanted to kill me, but I gotta say, I think I've got this routing thing pretty dialed in.
Among the first communiques on the Scala intercom to me was a query from DR. Rock..."Hey Dave, have you ever ridden in the desert before?".
"Err yeah, I think so" (on pavement across death valley) "I mean like a REAL desert off road?" RE-CALIBRATION #1

I wouldn't say I ever wanted to harm Dave for his routing. I can't speak for LDF, however it would have been interesting it the Scalas allowed three way conferencing In reality he truly does have it dialed in and I'm grateful for all the hard work and spectacular perfectly good roads we encountered.
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #4892
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer: 542
I am in once again!!

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #4893
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
M9 Day 1, Saturday May 12, 2012

As we go along, I'm gonna post each day's tracks to this thread. This way, if any future generations want to see exactly where we were, it'll be there.

Also, any photos that were taken while the GPS was on have been geotagged. Unfortunately, SmugMug's mapping only allows the first 200 photos in a gallery to appear on the SmugMug map, but the coordinates are in the EXIF data. If you're really curious to see where a particular photo was taken, you'll have to head on over to our M9 gallery and download a copy of the photo in question open the EXIF data, and link to the location from there. Alternately, you can load the whole gallery into googlemaps as an RSS hack. (Sounds more techno-geeky than it is)

1. Open this page: http://10012.smugmug.com/hack/feed.m...=3000&Paging=0
2. Copy the full http address that appears in the address bar of above page
3. Open the following page: http://maps.google.com/ and then
4. Paste the address from the first page into the "Google Search" field (NOT into the top address bar) of the second page

Pretty cool, eh?
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-17-2012 at 02:21 PM
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #4894
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was a late night for me

and an early start. The one thing I wasn't able to do was to start the bikes. I didn't want to wake anyone up so that had to wait. Always makes me a little nervous. Once the sun was up, I got into trouble by spilling a bit of radiator fluid on Q's neighbor's lawn. Ooops.

All four bikes were sporting Anti-Hassle Tassels™. And boy, did they look supreme.

And they work even better than they look!
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-17-2012 at 10:38 AM
Old 06-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #4895
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

My worries were not

completely unfounded. Blueberry started up pretty easily, but Honeybee wasn't kicking. When the battery started to flag, we hooked her up to Q's toaster. Of course that necessitated directing the exhaust pipe towards his neighbor's open bedroom windows, so again... my bad.

Vid poached from AlbertaStrom (he's made some nice compilation videos for the first 4 days he'll hopefully post here)

All said and done, we had wheels rolling 'round 10am. Not bad considering.

A quick stop for gas became a major production when every cruiser rider wanted to chat about our tassels.

Eventually we just had to say "giddy-up"

Old 06-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #4896
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Literally 15 minutes later

we were riding past stuff like this:

It doesn't take long to get off pavement from Idaho Falls.

The weather was fantastic as well... this was a great start.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #4897
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Today's route

would take us on some easy gravel roads

south from Idaho Falls to where we would intercept the Tour of Idaho East-West T2 route.

T2 starts at the Wyoming border, and ends at the Oregon border at Jordan Valley. Our plan was to do about 4/5ths of it at the beginning of M9, then to pick up the start of T2 after we'd looped around at the end of M9.

After a nice canyon carving session,

the terrain flattened out a little,

and over the rise, if you stood really tall on your pegs, you could see the peaks of the mountains where we were heading:

Old 06-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #4898
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was saturday

so of course when we took a break,

we were overrun by a marauding herds of 'tard-chariots. No photos -- too dusty.

Soon we were kicking up dust of our own.

Big open spaces,

It didn't seem like it, but we'd climbed some elevation. There were still some patches of snow.

which was a little concerning, as the NOAA model had just shown that our route across monument pass was clear of snow. Hmmmm.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #4899
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

From Wolverine road

we took Brush Creek road to the Four corners intersection which put us on Bone road and the T2 trail.

Straight and nicely graded, that aimed us straight at the Blackfoot reservoir,

all high-speed, top-gear stuff. A great way to shake out the cobwebs from a winter of not riding.

there really is a little bit of method to my routing madness.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #4900
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Blackfoot reservoir

was the first of several wetlands we'd traverse on this trip. Some natural, some man-made. I'm not a bird-watcher or anything, but it's impressive how much wildlife depends on what little water there is out in the desert.

I've been thinking a lot about diet and nutrition and this whole paleo movement, and had come across this National Geographic documentary called "The Last Feast of the Crocodiles" which is totally amazing and fascinating and gruesome at the same time.

I'm not going to recommend all four parts -- I'm just going to say that after seeing the first part, I couldn't stop watching.

Where am I going with this? I guess for me, a big theme of this trip was about how the extremes of survival have really ceased to be selective pressures or evolutionary influences of modern humans.

We mostly eat processed crap, we are largely sedentary, our lives are rarely if ever in any real peril... and I'm not so sure we're the better for it.

What I love about what we're doing on these trips is that we're forced to think about where we're getting our food, and water, and we depend on our skills to build fires, and make shelter, and navigate, and troubleshoot, and it's very physical, and it profoundly rewards every sensory nerve ending we have, from the visual splendor we saw, to the deep ache I still feel in my shoulders and arms. THIS is living.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #4901
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The other theme

for me was the history of the west.

Not so much as a historian of specific events (though the Golden Spike monument hit that note), but more like an anthropologist,

observing the interplay of modern life, and how the west has adapted to all the various influences,

whether it's ATV's vs. horses, ranching vs. mining, streams vs. reservoirs, resource utilization vs. environmental protection... almost everywhere you look out here there's a story being told.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #4902
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Cow camp road

Sometimes I like the overlapping media. Me taking a video of Questor taking a photo... (which he can post)

And my photo of him:

Old 06-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #4903
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Chesterfield

From that high vantage point,

We descended a valley

and passed through the ghost town of Chesterfield.
(click image below for a big version you can read, or just go to the Wikipedia here)

It seemed like it'd be a nice place to explore...

but the open road called louder:

Old 06-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #4904
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

What followed next

was a series of three obstacles. The first two were in the form of gates:

Toponce Canyon road was seasonally closed, and slated to open in just two days. AAArrrghh.

We contemplated going around the gate, but it was a saturday, and the fines seemed steep, and from the maps we carry, it looked like we had a few options for go-arounds, so off we went one canyon to the south, Pebble canyon.

On the way, we had to stop for this train. It was nicely nostalgic to sit and listen to the squeaking wheels roll by.

Unfortunately...
Old 06-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #4905
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Though it looked promising

to start,

before long we were stopped by an extremely rough and steep road... and another gate.

Looking back down, Questor was smart and let us scout first.

Our next attempt at getting back on the T2 route took us through McCammon, ID, where we stopped at a little store and pick up some vittles -- vacuum packed filet mignon wrapped in bacon! Oooo, we're gonna have a campfire tonight!

They also sold horseshoes,

and ear tags, just in case.