Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #4906
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
We reconnected

with the T2 route which proceeded to become... shall we say, vague

The GPS indicated that we were to take a designated trail (not road), and it took us some doing to find it. (there's Q diving into the bush with the Super MondoEnduro)

We crossed paths with some motocross/enduro riders at some point, and asked if the trail went through. The better question would have been are we completely insane to try to get these bikes through.

It's now 6:30pm. We're starting to get tired. No, who am I kidding? We are tired.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #4907
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This would be the first

of many end-of-the-day "situations". I didn't plan it that way. I had no way of knowing we wouldn't start wheels rolling at noon, and stopped already, and encountered this steep trail first thing in the morning.

I swear.

but what are you going to do? It's been easy gravel all day...

I mean c'mon, this is the GOOD stuff!
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #4908
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Then Dave goes down

Nothing big, just a back wheel slide turning out of a water crossing.

We check the maps and the GPS, and while we don't have that far to go laterally... we still have several hundred feet to climb in elevation, and the trail is getting tighter,

and steeper... until

we just say "enough". Turn around, and head to lower elevations, where Q had seen a flat area with a fire pit.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #4909
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was a great

first day.

blue=actual, green=intended route

Lots of ups and downs, both literally and figuratively.

We shuffled about and set up camp.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-17-2012 at 01:50 PM
Old 06-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #4910
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post

Nothing big, just a back wheel slide turning out of a water crossing.
Day 1 and the noob falls already!
Re-calibrating......
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #4911
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

If felt great

to be active and outdoors for an entire day,

especially for me, having spent the night before last in a windowless floor of Bellevue hospital, followed by hours in airplanes and airports, followed by hours wrenching at night indoors... I needed this:

Yes, it was chilly, but if you're not wearing everything you brought... you packed too much.

but the food was delicious, and the company sublime...

I think Q dreamt of wheelies

I just wanna say, it's great traveling with folks who have their gear dialed in, no drama...

beef and bacon... bourbon and hot chocolate... what's not to love?

Tomorrow... our highest + coldest camp in the Sawtooth NF near Monument peak.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #4912
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Philosophizing around the campfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaStrom View Post
...Re-calibrating......
I don't remember our exact conversation that night ... but I know we talked about such nonsense on and off:

This section was a great example of what I call total-immersion, full-body-contact dual-sport riding. You actually get to taste the terrain (or in oenophile terminology -- "terroir") (mostly because you've gotten a mouthful of it when you've crashed), but even if you haven't crashed, you're in it deep... the branches are smacking you, the smells are lush and in your face, if you turn your engine off you can hear the wind in the trees and the birds chirping (and the snakes hissing)... this is what I missed most with our sections in the way-up-north.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #4913
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,656
Good stuff.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #4914
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

PS: Little Wan....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
That trail looks nice. Maybe you'll want to give it another shot this summer...

Okay, chairs I get.
But who was carrying the ginormous tongs??

[From Q's RR... ]

The tongs are absolutely essential to fine dining in the bush -- we use them ALL the time, and they are NOT ginormous... here, see for yourself!

Have fun at chez Q this summer... I hope we can have the pleasure of hosting you at the ADVentureLoft™ in NYC someday if you ever make it this far east!
Old 06-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #4915
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,709
Thumb Awesome start to M-9

More please.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:30 AM   #4916
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

M9 Day 2, Sunday May 13, 2012

Today's route would take us from the Caribou to Sawtooth National forests. We'd start with a little re-route to bypass the steep singletrack, but it looked like it'd be mostly a dirt go-around at least according to the Benchmark Atlas maps. If all went well, we'd end up somewhere around the Monument Peak area, where I still had concerns for snow blockages.

It was a bright, crisp morning. Apparently some critter got into our bear bag and drank almost ALL of our bourbon. There's no way we almost polished off a whole bottle!

No one was dragging, everyone rarin' to ride.

Our re-route go-around required a few miles of pavement, which were super cool as we entered Garden Creek Gap:

I think Dave or Q said they took some photos in there, I unfortunately didn't.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:39 AM   #4917
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Once through the canyon gap

we hopped on Rattlesnake road, which was dirt, and I think that was it for pavement for the day.

Ranch land...

We rejoined the T2 trail at Lusk loop rd. This was an unusual cattle guard -- it emitted a high-pitched siren when we passed through.

Knox canyon rd. was exceptional...

Oh yeah, I forgot... it was mother's day.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:51 AM   #4918
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

These "Canyon" roads

are a little misleading. You leave a valley and enter into a mountain range via a canyon, but then you climb, and eventually clear a pass, and then descend out into the next valley via another canyon. So Knox canyon road crested almost to 7000ft, and there was snow:

Pretty nice views for the bottom of a canyon.

We exited the range via Big canyon road,

and so far, it was all pretty easy riding. But there's the next valley, and the next range way in the distance.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:00 AM   #4919
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Here's a little taste

of nice riding down the other side.

and after a relatively quick traverse across the sandy valley,

we dove into Flint canyon, which was one of the absolute best sections of the whole trip.

Now, why do I say that? It was like Goldilocks and the 3 bears...

Not too hard, not too soft...

It was juuuust right.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #4920
dustyrider
dirt is just better

Oddometer: 105

Welcome back, and thanks for your efforts.
Beautiful country.
A Mobius report is always good for inspiration, story and photography.
dustyrider is offline   Reply With Quote