Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2012, 08:54 AM   #4936
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Fresh water is the

gold bullion of tomorrow.

we started climbing Trapper Creek road into the Sawtooth NF and the Monument Peak / Pass area.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #4937
chelo5sur
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Hi.
So far as in Chile (southamerica) we enjoy your RR and pics.
Thanks and keep riding ...

Chelo and Flor :
chelo5sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #4938
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This was the one area

that I still had concerns about for snow. As we climbed, the temps started to drop.

which was nice at first, but it turned real chilly once the sun went down. Oakley was at 4500ft, we'd be camping at 7400ft, and we'd have to clear 7900ft to get over the pass.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #4939
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Right at about 7500ft...

Another endoftheday challenge.

It seemed like we could get through/around this. There were tire tracks, but it was too mushy.

The way around the left side was muddy with roots. GRRR. We muscled my bike across, and I scouted up a ways just to make sure there wasn't an even bigger snowdrift around the bend. There wasn't, so we got all the bikes around one at a time.

I think Dave has some video of Q blasting through.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #4940
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

With that

obstacle cleared, we continued to climb, but as it was late in the day, we decided to stop at one of two campgrounds that were nearby, and tackle monument pass in the morning.

Well, the road to Bostetter campground was impassable from a downed tree, so we backtracked to Father & Son campground which was accessible, but a couple hundred feet higher in elevation... we were anticipating a chilly night.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #4941
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We set up camp,

(Note the snow in the background), and I saw this HUGE spider web while I was collecting firewood:

Anyone have any idea what made it? I'm thinkin' Black Widow spiders.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #4942
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Even though we

weren't able to pick up fresh meat for dinner, we were treated to an exquisite dish of glorp cooked up by Chef Questor:

It was glorp flavored, and delish! Thanks, Q! I have no photos of the finished dish, so please, fill in the blanks.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #4943
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Stats for Day 2:

One of our biggest mile days,

Terrain:

and elevations:

Old 06-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #4944
Sh4ft
Beater

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
What a cool place! It was too early in the day to stop and camp, but too bad, 'cause I think we could have had fun and taken some nice pitchers.

Now look at the top of the Morning Glory Spire in real life:

Here, I'll zoom in:

Nuts! right?
Man I love that place, beautiful part of Idaho! I was worried there for a second you were going to miss it. Here is Morning Glory from a climbing trip in '02:

I have sure enjoyed reading about your trips...

Sh4ft screwed with this post 06-19-2012 at 10:00 AM
Sh4ft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #4945
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,863
Well said!

Quote:
to update the RR, I scanned through the latest chatter on the NYC commuter's thread. Gutpunch. I learned that a fellow NYC ADV rider, Eddie Gallagher died while riding solo on the Trans Lab highway. He was on a trip, no, an Adventure that he had been planning and looking forward to for awhile.

(he's there on the left -- photo poached from vfr870)

At the ADVentureLoft™ last winter:

Ed was a gentle soul. I remember him as quiet and generous, with an easy smile and a twinkle in his eye. While part of me suspects that everyone harbors inner demons, Eddie seemed truly content.

No doubt, it is a tragedy for someone to die young (he was 32) while still physically active and possessing all their mental faculties. But at the same time, every day I witness up close how age and illness destroy people incrementally, where death becomes the only way that the inevitable and tremendous suffering can end. Death, or immortality. But based on my personal experience, nobody lives forever.

I know that these trips we ADV'ers take hold dangers. But so does crossing the street. Want safe? Stay home. In bed. At that point you might as well already be in a box underground. The risks are calculated as best we can, and we take as many precautions as are reasonable, but the risk will never be zero. And every time I do the math for the big risk:benefit equation, I keep coming up with the same answer... It's TOTALLY worth it.

Let the record state: If I go down for good on one of these trips, do not mourn. Divvy up my gear, then celebrate my good fortune to have had the opportunity to exit while on top, clear eyed, fully engaged, and enjoying the heck out of life.

Ed's last post on his planning thread:

Eddie, I salute you brother. You will be missed.

... on with the RR

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #4946
Rainshadow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
and I saw this HUGE spider web while I was collecting firewood:

Anyone have any idea what made it? I'm thinkin' Black Widow spiders.
Doc, it kind of looks like one, but I've never seen one that big. They don't share terrain very well so that'd be a ginormous web for a single black widow. They don't really like open areas and bright light so that may point to something else. I've found them in places like firewood piles, slash piles, under the house in the subfloor (very few basements in Bend because of the 500' thick layer of basalt a few inches under the ground), or inside sprinkler valves/water shutoff valves/electrical control panels/etc. I guess they were famous for setting up shop under the seat in outhouses because it was warm, dark, and there were lots of flies. They bit anything that was "hanging" around....that wasn't just a line from the Milagro Beanfield War novel/movie.

One of the ways to tell a black widow web from others is to look for funnel web somewhere near the center of the web. That's where the spider will wait for dinner to show up.

That was a beautiful tribute to your friend Eddie. You summed up living life first perfectly. A long, long time ago I was traveling and I shared a train compartment with a couple from Venice while making our way south from Lake Como. I was fretting over schedules and marking things off on a list of places that I wanted to see while in Europe. They were laughing and finally said "Why do Americans live to work instead of working to live?" That simple statement had a more profound impact on my life than they ever could have realized. Ride on Eddie and RIP!

Loving the ride report so far!
Rainshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #4947
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,061
This is outstanding! You had a great team there, which is so important. Questor is really a good riding partner.

byways is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #4948
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

A word on the spiderweb

If I had to guess, it was maybe 30ft by 60ft, blanketing the ground, but also engulfing small shrubs and downfall branches. I didn't see any active spiders, but then again, I didn't go poking around 'cause it was pretty creepy. A quick google search reveals that these giant webs are made by some species of communal spiders most of which reside in the tropics. When these giant webs are seen in other latitudes, it's generally when conditions are favorable and food is plentiful. Then the webs are made by a mix of species which are usually solitary and competitive under normal circumstances. There was a 200yd long web that covered trees and everything in Texas in 2007, here's a link to an article that describes the entomologists' conclusions. There have been other giant webs reported in Pakistan, and in Australia. Pretty cool stuff available on the interwebs. (Pun intended).

Apparently these giant webs are not all that common. I'm not sure that the one I saw would have qualified as a truly giant web, but it was bigger than any I'd ever seen, and definitely unusual. I wish I'd taken more photos. I have only one other:

Old 06-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #4949
Gooch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
gold bullion of tomorrow.
Totally and terrifyingly true.

That's why I never pee.
"I almost got side swiped by a guy on a Honda Shadow that was wearing an H-D tassel laden jacket. I was on my H-D at the time and wearing a Kawasaki T shirt. I wasn't sure which came closer to killing me,the near accident or the irony." wishin4woods

DirtyDog:
"Riding a KLR in an enduro is like trying to put a bear in a wetsuit."
Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #4950
Rainshadow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
If I had to guess, it was maybe 30ft by 60ft, blanketing the ground, but also engulfing small shrubs and downfall branches. I didn't see any active spiders, but then again, I didn't go poking around 'cause it was pretty creepy. A quick google search reveals that these giant webs are made by some species of communal spiders most of which reside in the tropics. When these giant webs are seen in other latitudes, it's generally when conditions are favorable and food is plentiful. Then the webs are made by a mix of species which are usually solitary and competitive under normal circumstances. There was a 200yd long web that covered trees and everything in Texas in 2007, here's a link to an article that describes the entomologists' conclusions. There have been other giant webs reported in Pakistan, and in Australia. Pretty cool stuff available on the interwebs. (Pun intended).

Apparently these giant webs are not all that common. I'm not sure that the one I saw would have qualified as a truly giant web, but it was bigger than any I'd ever seen, and definitely unusual. I wish I'd taken more photos. I have only one other:

That's friggin creepy factor 10+. Giant hordes of communal spiders...

Never have seen anything like it before.

Better let us have another installment to calm us down.
Rainshadow is offline   Reply With Quote