DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #4952
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Another endoftheday challenge.

I think Dave has some video of Q blasting through.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #4953
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
weren't able to pick up fresh meat for dinner, we were treated to an exquisite dish of glorp cooked up by Chef Questor:

It was glorp flavored, and delish! Thanks, Q! I have no photos of the finished dish, so please, fill in the blanks.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #4954
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

When participating

in a Mobius trip,

There are mandatory pre-ride briefings, and post ride de-briefs. Post ride meetings include snacks and Bourbon if available.

It's actually a great way to refresh the multitude of roads and trails encountered through out the day. And discuss all the flat tires (nobody wants to guess how many?)
Old 06-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #4955
dustyrider
dirt is just better

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaStrom View Post
in a Mobius trip,

There are mandatory pre-ride briefings, and post ride de-briefs. Post ride meetings include snacks and Bourbon if available.

It's actually a great way to refresh the multitude of roads and trails encountered through out the day. And discuss all the flat tires (nobody wants to guess how many?)
Already guessed and WON! (absolutely nothing)
dustyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #4956
Rutsref
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Godspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbat View Post
^ well said doc; well said.
+1
Old 06-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #4957
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,144
Questor went around the snow??? Hmmm. Must have been a Quest-or impost-or.
byways is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #4958
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
M9 Day 3, Monday May 14, 2012

It was freezing cold at night, and it was a bit of a challenge getting everyone out of their toasty warm sleeping bags:

I boiled water for oatmeal, and made coffee to try to temp them out of their cocoons, but it was only when the sun cleared the trees and it warmed up that they agreed to emerge.

Before leaving, we held an honorary Mobius induction ceremony for Questor,

and we taught him the secret handshake:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:32 AM   #4959
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We started the day

with the best of intentions... we were going to clear Monument Pass, and then carry on the T2 route, until we hit a paved road, and then Q would split off.

The mountains had another idea altogether of how we'd spend our morning.

So far so good,

backtracking past the obstacles from yesterday afternoon,

Thankfully we didn't have to go all the way back to the snowdrift we'd already cleared. And for a while, it looked like we might make it up and over:

Yes?

Yes! Until...
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-20-2012, 09:59 AM   #4960
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Blocked.

And blocked good. Prolly needs another week or so at least. So close.

OK, hit the GPS's, start scrolling, and break out the maps. OK, here's a possibility... Let's take this trail... maybe it'll go around the snowdrift at a lower elevation. Seems promising for awhile, but then... we have to turn around when we get to this:

OK... try again... back to the campground, and then turn left instead of right. This would be re-backtracking. Grrr.

Well, the next go-around attempt is a big one. We basically descend out of the mountains on the eastern side, head north for about 30 miles to clear Niles gulch & Rock Creek canyon, and then scoot over west 5-10 miles and head back south about 25 miles back to the T2 trail where we'd pick it up on the other side of the range.

A little disappointing... this was going to add 40-50 miles to our route...

Once underway, though, we couldn't keep the smiles from our faces...

You couldn't ask for better dual sport riding than this.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #4961
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Here's a taste

of dry creek road... we were on this for a solid hour:

We stopped for a little break to defleece,

And paused to smell the flowers,

and for a word from our sponsor:

Old 06-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #4962
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Eventually

the valley came into view,

We'd been on Dry Creek Road for over an hour,

and it was one of the best hours of M9, imagine that, the go-around as good as the route. I love when that happens.

When we got to the pavement, it was past noon, and time for Q to peel off to head east.

We said our goodbyes and seeyalaters, and set about to find some fuel. The devil box pointed us a few miles away, but didn't account for this:

We just couldn't catch a break today. No biggie, the detour led us right to where we needed to go:

Fuel, snacks, water, and a couple cryopacks of local frozen elk steaks. mmmmm.

To get back to the T2 trail we had two choices... Rock creek road (paved) or Indian Springs road (dirt). We were really falling behind pace, so guess which we took?
Old 06-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #4963
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It wasn't even

much of a debate.

It was another section that was "Goldilocks" just right. Not too hard, not too easy,

I think I could just ride back and forth on those two roads for a week and not get bored.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #4964
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
You took the DIRT...

This is Mobius right?
Old 06-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #4965
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Once we hooked up

to T2 again on the other side of the Monument Peak range, the road to Rogerson was relatively straight and flat,

and we were able to pick up the pace.

Rogerson would be our last fuel stop in ID,

Next gas would be Jordan Valley, OR. We still had quite a ways to get to the border. We'd have to fill the SweetCheeks to extend our range:

Gas, water, food, bourbon. Key ingredients for a Mobius trip. Was this also where I bought that evil 4 gallon box of Chillable Red?

and my favorite: