Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #4966
tsiklonaut
the (in)famous boxer perv

Oddometer: 1,068
Decent trails ridden + stunning landscapes put into the photos, as usual!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post

and steeper... until

Uphill you should nail the damn thing, even a woman knows how to properly nail it

Quote:
A quick Q: what's your opinion on those particular Kermit chairs? Are they worth the dosh? Been having an eye on 'em for some time but still not decided - aren't they too short to sit on or too heavy/large to carry on a light trails bike?

Keep on Rockin' F+D,
Margus
tsiklonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #4967
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Hey Margus!

Thanks for stopping by , Hi to Kariina too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiklonaut View Post
Decent trails ridden...!
Just wait... it gets even better

Quote:
Uphill you should nail the damn thing, even a woman knows how to properly nail it
"...even a woman..."??? I would retaliate, but I trust Kariina to put you in your place.

Quote:
A quick Q: what's your opinion on those particular Kermit chairs? Are they worth the dosh? Been having an eye on 'em for some time but still not decided - aren't they too short to sit on or too heavy/large to carry on a light trails bike?
Keep on Rockin' F+D,
Margus
Maybe Questor or AlbertaStrom or LDF can comment as well, but my opinion is that they are the bomb. Hand-made, hardwood hickory, field-serviceable, comfy, strong, light, durable. The height is just right for sitting around a campfire. The size+weight : value ratio is more than favorable. If you forced me to ditch gear to save space or weight, the kermit chairs would be among the last to go. There is virtually nothing as satisfying as riding hard all day, and then sitting your sore ass down on a comfy chair next to a campfire, with a nice beverage in hand.

Great to hear from you, hope you're having a great summer. Looking forward to the book!
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #4968
donnh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Love the RR

Thanks for getting us caught up on M9, Deby and I have done similar trips for the past few years and I love reading about trips other couples take. We followed you on SPOT and I've already downloaded the M9 gpx before you started posting. If all goes well we will be riding the East to West section of M9 in late July as part of a return trip from CO. I'm assuming we won't run into snow (been there way too many times) but I'm preparing for HOT. We are looking forward to hearing about the rest of the trip, it reminds me how lucky I am to be within a day's ride of most of these routes.
donnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:42 AM   #4969
McDOPE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Webs in the woods.

..Not sure if this is applicable but if you saw no spiders it is possible that this is a fungal growth with web like strands of hyphae. I have seen similar large patches in the wet rotting forest floor in Oregon. They have this white opaque appearance rather than the clear or grey semi-translucent strands of spider webbing.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #4970
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,131
Hey everyone.
I just got back from another ride, and have finally had the time to check in on this Mobius.
Turns out I'm late to the party.

But I want to thank Dr. Rock and LDF for letting me tag along.
We've know each other for about 5 years, and it was great to finally ride and camp with them.
They really know how to travel.
The routes are great, the food is great, and so is their company.
They have taught me a whole new dimension of motorcycle travel.

When I travel, it's about making distance and traveling as light and fast as you can.
But traveling with the Mobius Circus, I've learned to relax, and enjoy the bonuses associated with "Luxury camping".
Spending the evening sitting comfortably in a Kermit Chair, watching the fire, while sipping Whiskey and hot chocolate - well it's sublime.

Thanks again Dr. Rock, LDF, and AlbertaStrom for being such good travel companions and friends.

I'll stay tuned for the rest of the Mobius 9 Ride Report.
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #4971
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Leaving Rogerson

took us on pavement past Salmon Dam,

(downstream)

and then we were back in the dirt

Observation: While the NV great basin is valley-range-valley repeat, the Southern ID and Eastern OR is more plateau-canyon-plateau.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #4972
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

LDF was in front

and these two joined our caravan behind her and in front of AlbertaStrom.

and while we were negotiating getting around them, LDF carried on and missed a sharp turn that led up and out of the canyon, and instead continued on.

We knew she'd blown the turn, so Dave waited while I ran her down.

Damn, she can really haul the mail sometimes. The only reason I caught her is that she stopped and waited when she didn't see anyone behind her.

On our way back to Dave, I noticed this dilapidated mining slough falling off the canyon wall.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #4973
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

At the top of the plateau

was this monster,

Sometimes I find it difficult to comprehend that cows and bulls are of the same species... they are so different. And I don't mean anatomy... duh, I'm referring to temperment.

We followed Cedar Creek canyon that we'd just climbed out of. The mining slough was right about down the canyon on our left:

We crossed some open range:

Because this sign was so weathered, someone was kind enough to scrape down the corner and hand-write the directions and mileages. Unfortunately, that had faded to illegible too.

This is why we carry maps too.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #4974
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The next section

had some long, straight and narrow going on:

"Molasses sand".

Old 06-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #4975
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We passed through

an Abercrombie photo shoot,

It was 4:30, and scrolling ahead on the GPS, it was clear that we would be camping. Polling the troops revealed we were all out of water.

We dipped down in elevation and spied some running water. There was a ranch nearby, and the stream had obviously been frequented by cattle. The question was how much faith in our water filters did we have?

Happy to report, no ill effects.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #4976
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
had some long, straight and narrow going on:

God, I miss these views. Please let me go back to Eastern OR sometime...

You don't have these views in GA

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #4977
jglow
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 390
Awesome!

Loving the M9 Report
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #4978
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,626
Quote:

Sometimes I find it difficult to comprehend that cows and bulls are of the same species... they are so different. And I don't mean anatomy... duh, I'm referring to temperment.
I should make a smart aleck Mars v Venus joke here, but I won't. Just wait till you get a rangy old cow giving you the stink eye, and you will change your mind about that statement.

- David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #4979
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The section

from Clover Creek / Buck Flat Draw where we filtered water, to the edge of Bruneau canyon was only about 16 miles,

But it was brutal. Our bikes and bodies took a pounding.

It's already past 5pm, we've been riding all day, and the trail is getting fainter and fainter, with sharp rocks embedded in the dirt. (ignore what I say about getting horizontal with a big girl )

After about an hour of that, we saw the canyon up ahead:

Old 06-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #4980
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Yet another

end-of-day challenge to cap an end-of-day special section.

We stopped to catch our breath and take it all in:

It was a spectacular view, but a bit intimidating, especially the first 50 feet which consisted of tight left where the outside line was the best, but just beyond was a significant dropoff, with consequences, as they say, then there was basically a staircase.

We saddled back up,

and made Dave go first.