Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #4981
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Of course,

intimidation is all mental, and it turned out not to be so bad,

I think LDF and I played leapfrog a couple of times with her bike, but we mostly just took our time and stayed safe, so we didn't end up like this:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #4982
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was still a long way down

about halfway, there was one switchback

and an abandoned pickup truck.

There was a steep, rocky section on the second half that was maximum pucker for me. LDF sailed right through. Go figure.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #4983
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

At the bottom

was one last obstacle.

We'd scouted out a camping spot on this side of the bridge, but it was more of a boat landing -- buggy and moist. We were gonna have to cross it eventually, might as well be now. Problem was...

there wasn't really a very good approach to it. You needed a fair amount of speed to clear the step up, on an angle, then you'd have to slam the brakes or you'd end up in the drink. So we built a little ramp:

Old 06-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #4984
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I went first

Dave had a bit more trouble lining up:

I ran (walked) back to assist:

it's kind of funny 'cause Dave was recording video also. You can hear me saying "watch out for that hole" in his video too.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #4985
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Once we got all the bikes

over the bridge, we realized what a primo camping spot this was going to be.

Besides the Franzia chillable red, there were hot springs waterfalls,

NOT hot springs AND waterfalls, but actual hot water falling.

The water in the near creek was scaldingly hot. The bathtub had a big hole in it. We scouted around to try and figure out how we could go swimming. We were pretty stinky and dusty,

What we found was that if you waded in at the confluence of the hot stream and the river, you could swirl the two temperature waters around and be comfortable for 3 or 4 seconds per minute. The rest of the time you were either burning or freezing.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #4986
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We set up camp

and I finally remembered to bust out the IR camera!

We were treated to a lovely sunset,

and had delicious elk steaks (IIRC) cooked on an open campfire. We all said a prayer as we fell asleep that our ride out the other side of the canyon would be kinder and gentler.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #4987
tundra61
I wish I had a title

Oddometer: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
was called the "Breadloaf" rock:

The City of Rocks isn't that big of a metropolis, kind of like Boston, or San Francisco. It wasn't long before we were headed towards the next range:

Up Birch Creek rd, to Oakley where we'd gas up again for the next stretch, a 60mile run up and over Monument Pass, the highest point of the T2 route.
I spent 2 weeks climbing at City of Rocks a while back. What an awesome place. The fact that so few people are there and that the rock is so good is what makes it amazing. There are few other places that have such good climbing where you can camp at the base yet have so few people around. Sure ain't the Gunks !

Now - the thought of riding a motorcycle to get there and then doing the climbing - now that's good times ! If you could also surf and telemark in the same day I think you would have heaven.
tundra61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #4988
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Stats and stuff for Day 3:

(I forgot to take the screen shot until late in the evening... we weren't stopped for that long)

And the day's .GPX file is here.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #4989
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

M9 Day 4, Tuesday May 15, 2012

I heard some birds chirping, and unzipped the fly to the tent. I rubbed my eyes... it was as if the sky was on fire. I ran over to get the Leica. I clicked it onto my HDR settings where it take 5 consecutive shots with varying exposures for later synthesis. Shitshitshit. The cap is on. Super long exposure time... and then wait for noise cancelling... I'm dying here...

The light actually changed in the time it took for the camera to reboot. But I still ended up with this:

and about a minute later... this:

about two minutes after that the light show was over... it was just another bland, mildly overcast morning.

Today's route would take us across southwestern ID to the Oregon border at Jordan Valley and the completion of the T2 Tour of Idaho route (except for the far eastern part which we'd pick up at the end of our big loop).

But first we'd have to get out of Bruneau Canyon. How hard could that be?
Old 06-24-2012, 07:09 PM   #4990
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I took a little walk

there was steam coming off the hot springs,

Old 06-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #4991
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

As we were loading the bikes

I was changing into my boots, and looked down:

Is that what I think it is??? I poked it over on it's back with a stick:

Arrrgggghhh. Put it on the list.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #4992
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

One last

little tour of our campsite at Bruneau Canyon.

Dave has a nice compilation video of the first few day's riding maybe he'll post.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #4993
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Finally,

Instead of an end-of-the-day challenge... it was right up front... bright and early!

The next 1.4 miles took us 2 hours to traverse. We leapfrogged up a few hundred feet at a time. According to the GPS tracklog, the the last quarter mile out of the canyon averages a 28% grade.

Here's the blow-by-blow:

shortly after, LDF gets bounced off the trail, blips the throttle, and ends up here:

and it wasn't even steep yet.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #4994
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Just past this pitch

it was Dave's turn to go down.

Francine hammered through,

Old 06-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #4995
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

As we progressed,

the trail deteriorated as it got steeper.

We could see on the GPS that we didn't have very much distance to cover to get to the top. The objective was to get there safely. I started riding LDF's bike on almost every little section, and then hiking back down to ride my bike up, while LDF hiked up on foot.