User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #4996
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
The usual disclaimer

it was steeper than it looks in the photos...

But it actually looks pretty steep to me in the photos.

Then there were obstacles like these steps:

Where's that chillable red when you need it?

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #4997
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The closer we got

the steeper the grade, and on top of that, I was starting to get that post-sugar-sweetened oatmeal hypoglycemic crash. Hiking downhill wasn't agreeing with my aging knees either.

it was all I could do to hang on.

rest, hydrate... walk the line, ride, hike back down, rest...

repeat...

it was slow going, but we hadn't had any more crashes after the first two.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #4998
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We got to the one

switchback on this side, (this is one of a few photos that really show the steepness)

and I didn't like what I saw... even worse... Nice view looking back, though.

This was the start of the 20-28% grade section:

(gratuitous tassel shot)

Almost there:

As I hiked down, I was starting to have serious doubts about my ability to get both my and LDF's bikes out of there safely.

LDF hiked up,

We'd come quite a ways.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #4999
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Dave came up,

And then my turn on Honeybee. I was spent. We had the bikes staged for the last push to the top, but it was a doozy. Helmets off, discussing lines.

We took some shot's of where we'd come from:

I asked Dave if he thought he could ride Blueberry up the last section. He said he'd like to see how he felt on his bike first. Fair enough, but what I didn't say is that if he didn't ride Blueberry out of there, my plan was to just disassemble her and carry up each nut and bolt one at a time.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #5000
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,156
This is just unbelievable. My hat's off to you all. You are amazing people.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #5001
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Dave was first

picking his line,

I waited up top:

yeah, it was that steep.

He's up... it's good! One down, two to go. He hikes down, and throws a leg over the Blueberry.

He's up...

it's good! I am eternally grateful.

I hike down to Honeybee...

I turn on my iPod...

I kid you not. OK... I think I can do this. Pin it,

and hang on... (poached from AlbertaStrom)

it wasn't pretty, but boy was I glad to get to the top!

Old 06-24-2012, 09:42 PM   #5002
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I think

you can hear in my voice how intense it'd been,

We were able to pick up the pace... it felt good.

See the motorcycle in the center:

I like this one too:

Kind of hard to appreciate the scale.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #5003
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Thanks Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
This is just unbelievable. My hat's off to you all. You are amazing people.
It was gratifying to have survived. And lucky. I can't imagine if it'd been wet. Impassable. Sorry we missed you in IDFalls when we were there in May -- I hope we can catch up when we swing by in Sept.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #5004
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 839
Here is a short mash of the first few days riding

DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #5005
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,885
Awesome

So glad you survived the climb out of that canyon.
I think those hot springs are one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.
Me and Dingweeds would have camped there too---but it was mid-day.
I guess gravity got us down the part you climbed up.

Love that old truck.

I'm sure you knew there are variations of T2-----on a more Southerly route of T2 going down
to Crutcher crossing---there is a much harder ascent and descent out of that canyon.
I was just hanging on thru there----and going down jumped off a rock ledge that I knew I was
going over the bars.

But at the bottom the river crossing and canyon was awesome.

The most difficult riding---rewards you with the best and most remote places to go---that
is why I ride a small bike. And I'm betting that's why you guys do.

I know it hard for you to pump out this ride report and working too---a labor of love.

Thanks !!

BigDog
2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 06-24-2012 at 10:12 PM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #5006
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,897
Great write-up Indian springs is a pretty special place. I rode it in the same direction you did. I had a tougher time going in.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....9&postcount=39

But my trip out was much easier, the road mus have deteriorated in the last couple of years.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....1&postcount=48

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:05 AM   #5007
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
So glad you survived the climb out of that canyon.
I think those hot springs are one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.
I know it hard for you to pump out this ride report and working too---a labor of love.
Thanks !!
BigDog
Thanks BigDog, you know you do the same with your RR's... that's why you're an inspiration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud Al View Post
Great write-up Indian springs is a pretty special place. I rode it in the same direction you did. I had a tougher time going in.
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....9&postcount=39
But my trip out was much easier, the road mus have deteriorated in the last couple of years.
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....1&postcount=48
OK, the ride report has been delayed this morning on account of me having to read your whole RR. Outstanding!

I'm pretty sure we rode past this exact same tree!...

and that defines another visual theme of Mobius 9... "the lone tree in the plains". By the way, I really appreciate the effort you've put into processing your photos. (Now watch, you'll tell me they're straight out of the camera)

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-25-2012 at 07:42 AM
Old 06-25-2012, 07:46 AM   #5008
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Carrying on

it looked like we were heading into another canyon...

This was Sheep Creek, but from a distance it looked like there was a farmstead or ranch,

and things looked promising in the road improvement department.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:47 AM   #5009
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Thanks BigDog, you know you do the same with your RR's... that's why you're an inspiration.

OK, the ride report has been delayed this morning on account of me having to read your whole RR. Outstanding!

I'm pretty sure we rode past this exact same tree!...

and that defines another visual theme of Mobius 9... "the lone tree in the plains". By the way, I really appreciate the effort you've put into processing your photos. (Now watch, you'll tell me they're straight out of the camera)
They are not straight out of the camera, I only carried a Cannon S90 on that trip and while it takes good picks they need a little finishing before publishing.

BTW
I have enjoyed watching your photography evolve from the beginning of the trip to now, you have found your groove

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:52 AM   #5010
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Shortly after,

we crossed Highway 51 at Grasmere. Not much here, but this was our last opportunity for a paved bail-out before Jordan Valley.

Bail-out? Not a chance, we were having way too much fun! After a short break, we rode back into the wilds, passing some kind of heavily-guarded government installation -- I'm thinking missile silos?

Just past that we were back to the crappy two-track we knew and loved .

Looking back: