Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2012, 06:56 AM   #5011
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
The desert was

in full bloom.

Everything is more beautiful with tassels.

Totally making life worth living.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:03 AM   #5012
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It felt great

to open up the throttle a little,

and not get pounded by rocks. It didn't last too long... just a nice little transit section to stretch your legs, then back into this:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-25-2012, 07:10 AM   #5013
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This is what I meant

when I referred to the trail as "indistinct"

I love GPS technology. Just follow the electric line, and everything's gonna be OK.

There really is a rhythm to this... technical special section, slow-going and physical,

then smoother transit sections, wick it up... repeat.

Every four or five cycles, stop for snacks, rest, fuel, or water.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:14 AM   #5014
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Morale was

starting to flag.

It was pushing 2pm, and it seemed like this,

and this,

was never going to end.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:21 AM   #5015
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

And then...

like a mirage in the desert, I looked down, and it appeared that the roadbed was smooth and groomed like a putting green.

Not that we could go 60mph, but at least it was a smooth surface.

We passed some ranch structures -- this was Battle Creek road, I believe,

"morale definitely took a turn for the better riding on putting green"

Old 06-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #5016
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,683
Nasty ! I thought Black Widows were in secluded/shady spots.
Hmmm. Maybe she was in your boot? (Note to self: Shake boots out before putting on).

Old 06-25-2012, 07:48 AM   #5017
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
Nasty ! I thought Black Widows were in secluded/shady spots.
Hmmm. Maybe she was in your boot? (Note to self: Shake boots out before putting on).
Nah, she was just crawling around in the open. You have to shake your boots out anyway for scorpions.

and bears.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:54 AM   #5018
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

More grass

"you could go lawn bowling"

of course, as soon as I turn the camera on, the ruts appear.

and mud. But in general, this section was so smooth, even a car could do it:

We saw what had happened to all the rocks, someone had collected them into a nice pile.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:03 AM   #5019
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We found a spot

with some shade (even though the sun wasn't out), and not too many rattlesnakes, scorpions, or black widow spiders, and took a break.

It had been a hard riding day.

The road improved for a little while, like it always does,

then it really deteriorated, and we passed through this area where trees had been burned down, and there was some abandoned excavation, it really looked a mess. The dead cow on the side of the road didn't help the decor at all. Eventually we ran into a double-locked gate, and had to backtrack. I filmed this on the way back.

Caution: contains (well a dead cow, actually, and no one was beating it, but you get the idea)

I'm thinking rattlesnake, or black widow spider bite. Didn't look like predators or scavengers had been at it, and it had been dead for awhile.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #5020
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We turned onto

Antelope Ridge road, which affords views of the Mammoth ridge peaks to the north, and the Rose ridge peaks to the south.

Really pretty area.

Another 33 miles to Jordan Valley. Whew. I think we can make it.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:18 AM   #5021
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Flint Canyon

road was where things finally eased up,

and we sailed past some neat rock formations,

before the last few miles into Jordan Valley,

We crossed our first state border,

and set about getting ourselves civilized... a room, a hot meal, and a hot shower sounded pretty good.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:24 AM   #5022
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We checked into

The Basque Station Motel, nice enough, where the office was in the Shell station.

I asked the guy at the "reception" desk if he could recommend a good place to eat in town, he replied "Oh, I like 'em both". Classic.

We ended up at the Basque Inn, which was open later than the other place,

and enjoyed our meal. The beers, anyway. I wish we could get that Alaskan Amber out here.

On the walk back to the motel we checked out the Search and Rescue HQ,

and the local Rock Collection.

Which look more like shell casings to me, but what do I know?
Old 06-25-2012, 08:35 AM   #5023
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Stats for Day 4:

and the .GPX file can be downloaded here.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #5024
La Donna Fugata
You're not the boss of me

Oddometer: 153
[QUOTE=DR. Rock;18985292]

Clearly, I was in way over my head. I can't thank the two of you enough for getting me out of "that" canyon .

and I too am eternally grateful to the both of you.

LDF

[QUOTE]

La Donna Fugata screwed with this post 06-25-2012 at 10:43 AM
La Donna Fugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #5025
La Donna Fugata
You're not the boss of me

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaStrom View Post
Here is a short mash of the first few days riding

Great video Dave. Thanks for posting it.
La Donna Fugata is offline   Reply With Quote