Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #5116
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoosCreek View Post
How do you account for the various hunting seasons in each state? For example, some Antelope hunting starts September 15th in cert...the roads were full of hunters and trucks and ATVs, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
I had the same experience in Utah one year. Awful.
Hasn't been much of an issue. The space is plenty big enough to share. Weekends is when it can get bad, weekdays are pretty sparse. Last Sept. we caught elk bow season in northern ID, and it was actually kind of cool to see the hunters out in their camo, carrying bows & arrows. We shared a campground with some, and they were nice... lent us a splitting maul, and were very quiet when they rolled out at 4am. Cold as the proverbial witch's brass bra at that hour, gotta respect that.

We've been periodically more annoyed at the recreational ATV'ers who cruise around on their organized rides in a literal parade, sometimes dozens of ATV's, 10 yards apart, kicking up a hellacious dust cloud. This is usually on a sunday, mostly older, portly, no safety gear, cooler on the back, one in hand. When we've encountered hunters in trucks or ATV's (or bicycles or dirtbikes as we have), to their credit at least they have a destination.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #5117
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Llewelyn Moss tree...

as you can see,

this one comes complete with a vulture nest.

was the dead mexican still there?
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #5118
muskeg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Ooooo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Nah, most likely we'll finish the Continental divide, and head back to visit the kids in Flagstaff for M11.

See yous on M11?

muskeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #5119
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 334
Hi Dr. Rock, LDF,

Other than saying I love reading Mobius, there isn't much I can add that hasn't been said in a more eloquent way already by someone else. I love your writing style, love the photos, love your route choices, your stopping places, the no-excuse camping, etc.

On to the question.
(Dr.) Have you done, or do you plan to do, a review of your new Garmin?
Did you consider getting a set of the Rhino 655t units? They would seem tailer-made for what you and LDF do - mapping plus enabling you to see eachother's location on the map, and talk over longer distances with no cell service needed. Added bonus of NOAA weather radio too. If I had an awesome riding partner like you two have, I'd probably go for a set.

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #5120
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Recovering from on-call

and 4th of July festivities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
Sorry I didn't give you a kiss goodbye last night, but I was exhausted. Hope you got some good shots, and home safe. Great seeing you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskeg View Post

See yous on M11?
I can't think why not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthscape View Post
Hi Dr. Rock, LDF,...On to the question.
(Dr.) Have you done, or do you plan to do, a review of your new Garmin?
I suppose I can, but I don't think the Montana is really fully developed yet. The Garmin team continues to fine tune the firmware, and it's still improving. Briefly, The Montana series has become the new benchmark standard for DualSport GPS units. It does A LOT of things right, and nothing really horribly wrong (like the screen on the Oregon was).

Quote:
Did you consider getting a set of the Rhino 655t units? They would seem tailer-made for what you and LDF do - mapping plus enabling you to see eachother's location on the map, and talk over longer distances with no cell service needed. Added bonus of NOAA weather radio too. If I had an awesome riding partner like you two have, I'd probably go for a set.
I just had a look at the Rino's detailed specs. The 650 would suit us better... We already own the topo maps (they're not locked to a unit like City Nav), and we take pitchers with dedicated cameras -- taking the GPS off the mount to snap a pic would be a PIA. The specs are similar to the Montana for most things... the Montana has a more memory, and waypoint storage space.

The biggest difference would be the HUGE bright and gorgeous screen on the Montana, and the fact that it's ergonomics are much better suited to DS riding than the Rino with it's protruding "horns" just waiting to catch tree-branches and whatnot, ready to be ripped off like real Rhino horns sawed off by poachers. Also, the Rino runs on 4.5V, requires a step-down adapter cable, and I believe can only be powered externally via a USB port, which is a known Achilles heel and a show-stopper from what I've heard from Oregon users. The Montana rugged mount by Garmin is the cat's pajamas. I can't think of a single reason anyone would want to buy the Touratech mount.

The location / walkie talkie feature is nice, but I think we wouldn't use it that much. We're 98% within line of sight, so we know where each other is, and we have the Scala's to communicate.

The NOAA radio... meh. We have one of these, (Eton FR160) and honestly, we haven't taken it since I think M4. 99% of the time we don't get reception, or we're traveling in an area that isn't covered by the NOAA system. Yeah, that's right... they don't broadcast everywhere. I found that hard to believe too, coming from the midwest where every spring and summer growing up I'd have my ear pressed to a Realistic Crystal Controlled transistor Weatheradio before going to bed, and first thing waking up.

The Rino's definitely have nice features, but seem best suited for handheld use... maybe for a group of hunters, for instance, or hikers, or mountain bikers who split up into smaller groups taking different trails, where each group might have one unit, and they all want to hook up at the end of the day. Or a riding/hiking group that has a support truck following them.

We have the Spot unit to be able to call in big support and rescue, I don't think the Rino's would replace that. The Montana isn't perfect, but it's a great upgrade from the 60/76 and 276 units.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 07-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #5121
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
Hey Dr. Rock, I have really enjoyed reading about and watching your adventures. I was trying to go back and see when it was that you started using a helmet cam but always get wrapped up in reading the report and forgetting about the camera. Would you mind repeating any information about which camera you are using and also if you are using an external microphone?

John
mrprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #5122
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Helmet cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
...Would you mind repeating any information about which camera you are using and also if you are using an external microphone?

John
It's the Contour (formerly VHoldR) HD 720p, modified to have an external microphone, with the lens kit (modified with a silicone bead around a filter to keep water and dust out).
Some links to keep you busy:
motojournalism report
External mic mod post
Old 07-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #5123
nachtflug
infidel

Dr. Rock was nice enough to invite me and Wayne to his place in the New York City yesterday and outside of having to put up with Wayne listening to the Bee Gee's Nights on Broadway non stop once we crossed the bridge from the Bronx to the Manhattan, and then having to watch the standard Wayne getting all teary eyed (don't ask) it was a real nice way to spend the 4th. Wayne took some pictures at the cemetery in Sleepy Hollow and tried to make believe he was taking pictures of the arch in some park when he was really taking pictures of girls. Of course there were fireworks and the doctors lovely wife and he had some hot girl from California visiting to boot who Wayne was quite smitten with.

the doctor wrote me a prescription to post a few pictures so here are a few pictures. if you don't like them put me and wayne on ignore we really don't care.

we also discussed the Klim riding suit and Icon Elsinore boots in keeping with the general theme of the thread, though only briefly and he also made me a whisky sour with egg white though I had to make him use bourbon instead of single malt scotch as he thought scotch whisky meant whisky.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #5124
nachtflug
infidel

and let not forget this.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #5125
nachtflug
infidel

thanks again Dr. Rock, Francine and Meghan, aka ice cream flavor guru.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #5126
nachtflug
infidel

http://nachtflug.smugmug.com/Travel/...4885&k=BZ5FpKM
Old 07-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #5127
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 334
[QUOTE=DR. Rock;19060968

I suppose I can, but I don't think the Montana is really fully developed yet. The Garmin team continues to fine tune the firmware, and it's still improving. Briefly, The Montana series has become the new benchmark standard for DualSport GPS units. It does A LOT of things right, and nothing really horribly wrong (like the screen on the Oregon was).

[/QUOTE]

Have you found the screen to be genuinely readable in direct sunlight? If you have any pull with Garmin with your feedback, tell them to add an MP3 player and Bluetooth to the Montanna!
Am I correct to guess that you don't use the audio prompts on the GPS when riding?

I understand you two are very dialed-in at this point with your gear. In the trips that I've been on with a buddy we inevitably get separated by a distance longer than our helmet communicators can cover - usually by traffic in areas we are more or less forced to get through. I think that's less likely with the routes you choose, which are the routes I would prefer too.

I try to minimize the number of electronic devices with me (though a separate camera will always be necessary). But even with 2012 technology, that's harder than it really should be. Of course there are good points and bad points to combining devices - for me personally it seems the more devices, the more of my attention they steal away from the actual ride. It's a constant balance battle - device to help you - device to require attention...
You have apparently found a good balance that works for you, technically and mentally.

Thanks for the info - looking forward to the rest of this edition of "M~"...

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #5128
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Have you found the screen to be genuinely readable in direct sunlight? If you have any pull with Garmin with your feedback, tell them to add an MP3 player and Bluetooth to the Montanna!
Am I correct to guess that you don't use the audio prompts on the GPS when riding?...
Yes, the Montana screen is the bomb. Correct, we don't use audio prompts. RE: dedicated task-specific vs. all-in-one... I just had a conversation along these lines last night with nachtflug about riding gear. While I'd love to have a Star-trek tricorder that can do everything, the problem is that if one function breaks, or becomes out-dated or obsolete, your options are to live with it, upgrade, or ditch the whole unit. We use iPods for music, Scalas for communication, GPS for navigation, three different cameras for photography, ContourHD for video, Spot for tracking / emergencies... and all-in-one smartphones (android + iPhone) for... essentially nothing.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:44 AM   #5129
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

M9 Day 8, Saturday May 19, 2012

Today would begin our return leg to Idaho Falls. Our route would head southeast on pavement to Klamath Falls, OR, then the dirt would begin. We'd clip Northwest California, skirt the Warner Range (again), and set ourselves up to re-enter the Great Basin somewhere around Gerlach, NV.

LDF woke up early, grabbed her camera, and headed out for some pitchers of the sunrise. 5 minutes later, she stormed back into the room... "Someone took the battery out of my camera!" "Well, yeah, I do that every night to recharge it." She grabbed it out of the charger and hurried back outside.

We packed up, and cleared out of our comfy loft / suite:

Loaded the bikes, and cut through the chilly morning air towards Klamath.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 07-22-2012 at 11:42 AM
Old 07-07-2012, 05:53 AM   #5130
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was a pretty drive

Not too much traffic, it being a saturday, but we weren't used to the speed -- it was cold.

I think I saw Mt. Shasta way in the distance.

Just checked the GPS -- sure enough, ~75 miles away.