Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #5176
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
We crossed

some flatlands on Willow Creek Ranch road, and started to climb,

It wasn't long before we found a flat spot, and decided to throw down stakes.

and then the strangest thing happened...

it was an annular solar eclipse, which hasn't been seen in North America for 18 years.

The light took on a very surreal cast, color seemed off, and our shadows got blurry,

There will be a total solar eclipse in August 2017, but the next annular one that is visible in the US will not be 'till 2023. How cool is that?

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/05/16/...coming-sunday/

after about 10 minutes, it was all back to normal.

and we continued about our business, collecting firewood, and setting up camp.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #5177
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We settled in,

built our campfire,

and cooked our dogs,

and as the sun tucked in behind the hills,

we were visited by a curious herd.

This really was cowboy camping.

Eventually, we nodded off in our chairs, warmed by the campfire and bourbon-spiked hot chocolate.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 07-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #5178
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 9 stats

It was a long day!

But we covered some ground.

Day 9 track .GPX file available here.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #5179
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
It was a long day!

But we covered some ground.
Yes, it was a long day, having bad POIs on the GPS didn't help. But as happened every day, the camp that night was perfect.
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:17 AM   #5180
mtnman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
I've been enjoying your trip report, great as always. Here's the web site of the people who put up those historic trail markers, with guide books on where to find them.

http://emigranttrailswest.org/
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #5181
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
I've been enjoying your trip report, great as always. Here's the web site of the people who put up those historic trail markers, with guide books on where to find them.

http://emigranttrailswest.org/
That's an awesome link. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #5182
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

M9 Day 10, Monday May 21, 2012

Today we'd continue east, from the middle of nowhere to east of the middle of nowhere. It was a solid day of primo DS riding. Minimal re-routes, almost zero pavement, and beautiful terrain.

There were a couple of range / canyon crossings that I was a little concerned about whether they went through or not, but they did, and it was good.

We were treated to another killer sunrise:

packed up,

and had wheels rolling easily by 8.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #5183
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Spaulding Creek / Canyon road

right past our camp had some steep, steep hills. I'd just figured out how to have the % Grade continuously displayed on the Garmin Montana, and I was getting a kick out of glancing down and checking out how steep the climb or descent was.

I hate mondays:

So as I mentioned in the vid, the climb up to the summit had a 17% grade, but the next section down was in the high 20's.

Views from the top:

the way down -- the steepest part was just where the road disappears,

halfway down,

Another lone tree, and the view back on the steepest part.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #5184
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We were headed

across Grass Valley, and on to Sheep Ranch Canyon.

We picked up the pace across the flats,

and headed over to the next range,

and at the top of the next hill, we could look down to the next valley... and like that, we'd established a groove, the rhythm for the day.

Only the gates broke that groove.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #5185
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

A curious sight

I had to rub my eyes and look twice... is that a polar bear out here in the desert???

We soon figured out why this was called Sheep Ranch Canyon.

the hills were crawling with these tastey little meat-marshmallows.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #5186
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

After we rolled by,

the polar bear lumbered out of the shade, and started herding the flock up the hill ahead of us.

You can see the rancher in the doorway of the camper if you squint real hard.

Ceremonial de-fleecing:

So this put us in an interesting pickle. Smelser pass was up ahead, and by rights it should have had about three switchbacks for the road to get to the top. But Noooo! They must have been plumb out of them, 'cause the road went straight up... and with the little woolsicles climbing up single-file, it became a rather intimidating prospect.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 07-24-2012 at 02:05 PM
Old 07-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #5187
Nomomo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
right past our camp had some steep, steep hills. I'd just figured out how to have the % Grade continuously displayed on the Garmin Montana, and I was getting a kick out of glancing down and checking out how steep the climb or descent was.

I hate mondays:

What is this thing you call "Mondays" It's been since August 2002 that I last experienced one. Thanks for all the work and effort you do to put out such a great report. It a real joy to follow your ride.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #5188
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo View Post
What is this thing you call "Mondays" It's been since August 2002 that I last experienced one. Thanks for all the work and effort you do to put out such a great report. It a real joy to follow your ride.
I LOVE it! You're living right, my friend. Stay thirsty, as TWMIM says.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #5189
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

So Dave cut off the herd,

and I rode Honeybee up first... it wasn't pretty, the first section was by far the steepest.

I basically did a Rollie Free,

laid down on the seat, (stripped down to my underwear), and did everything I could to maintain speed and keep the front wheel connected to the earth.

Success!

Dave rode the DR650 up next,

Success! And with a 22% grade and a loose, rocky surface, I over-rode LDF's protests, and we leapfrogged Blueberry up.

Yadda, yadda... was steeper than it looks:

Here's LDF's photos of me riding her bike up:

and here:

but I gotta say... this video almost captures how steep it really was.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #5190
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 839
Sheep Hill

Looked worse than it was, but it was a ton of fun

DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote