Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012, 07:00 AM   #5191
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
With the excitement

of Smelser Pass behind us,

we continued on into Buffalo Valley on our way to HWY 305 which we'd have to take a couple miles to our fuel stop at Battle Mountain.

The thrills and spills weren't quite behind us, though.

Rocky, sandy, silty, rutted... some places you could open up, others where you'd get buried and thrown.

I'd stop and take pitchers, then hustle to catch back up, channeling Neduro in a little high-speed run

Another less-exciting hill climb:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:24 AM   #5192
redroom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Rock'in Report

Whew! That is one rock'in ride report installment. The photos are superb and the vids right on. Definitely some front page material in there. Great happenstance too; cows visit the cowboy camp, eclipse, sheep vibes all interspersed with great views and a Rollie Free imitation to boot.

After reading this installment you may also consider some sort of a "transition to reality" installment. Hard to imagine the extent of culture shock upon returning to the City.

All the best to the team,
2001 BMW R1150GS
redroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #5193
La Donna Fugata
You're not the boss of me

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
across Grass Valley, and on to Sheep Ranch Canyon.

Holy Shit....I rode that shit.
La Donna Fugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #5194
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 24,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Donna Fugata View Post
Old 07-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #5195
coachcampana
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I love reading this thread and seeing your photos. Thank you!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
coachcampana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #5196
McDOPE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Big Thanks

Spectacular photography, as always, ....and so much appreciated. You made my Wednesday even though it was your Monday. If you next trip concludes in Denver as projected and you need a place to store bikes with a full moto shop, lift etc. you are welcome to use my stable...and share with nine other bikes.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #5197
jayR
ride > all

Oddometer: 16
Love your ride Report...

"It's called the Dragon's Gap, or The tale of the Deal, or something like that. It's pretty neat; an 18 mile chicane, with elevation changes"

actually It's called The Tail of the Dragon or Deals Gap and you are right, it's pretty good!!
jayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #5198
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Donna Fugata View Post
You rode the shit out of that shit! Love that shot--I'm guessing it's your desktop right now.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #5199
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDOPE View Post
...If you next trip concludes in Denver as projected and you need a place to store bikes with a full moto shop, lift etc. you are welcome to use my stable...and share with nine other bikes.
Hmmmm... Careful what you wish for.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 07-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #5200
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Dusty, windy...

We pushed on towards Battle Mountain.

As we got closer, you could see the impact mining was having on the area,

it was tough to see what road we needed to be on based on the GoogleEarth images, but I hoped it would be evident once we were at ground level.

then...

We followed the main road, which seemed to have been built for massive vehicles, and it looped around the mines,

and dumped us onto HWY 305.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #5201
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We crossed oveer I-80

and revisited Battle Mountain.

But this was a quick fly-by... gas,

snacks,

check e-mail, phone home...

wave "hi" to our friends here... where we slept,

(Who says we don't have inflation? A room was $35 in 2009 -- now it's $45!)

Where we ate lunch,

M3-2009:

M9- 2012:

and did laundry:

M3-2009:

M9-2012:

We barely slowed down this time... heading for the hills:

Old 07-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #5202
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We overlapped the TAT

for a few miles up Rock Creek / Bateman Canyon.

and it was just as good going in the opposite direction.

as I mentioned in the video, I'd spied a potential short-cut to get us to Crescent Valley that went north of Havingdon Peak (ahead in photo below) instead of the long way around the south. Whether we took it or not would completely depend on our boots-on-the-ground reconnaissance.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #5203
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It looked OK

so we took it. I felt a connection to the black sheep we passed.

We started to climb into old mining area,

I believe this was the "Gold Dyke" Mine:

I was running point for the first part of the short-cut, just to scout it out, but I prefer riding sweep, so I let everyone else pass,

Ahhh, the tassels always look so good, don't they?

Old 07-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #5204
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

At a place called

"The Park", we reached a fork in the road:

They both had equal chance of leading to Crescent Valley, or of dead-ending at a mine. My intention was to take the road that looked better traveled. We ended up flipping a coin, and took the road to the left.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #5205
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Again, I led

and when it seemed like this direction might actually work, I let them take over,

We were going north of Bald Mountain,

past the ruins,

We started heading downhill... that's a good sign if you're trying to get to Crescent Valley, right?

a little ziggity zag,

and there it was, spread out before us:

We rolled out of the hills on Corral Canyon road and into town like ghosts.

Picked up some vittles, topped off fuel, and chatted with the locals. They asked what direction we'd come from on HWY 306, and we said we hadn't, then they asked where we were headed, and when we told them, they weren't aware that the road we'd come in on, or planned on leaving on actually went anywhere. Whenever that happens, you know you're nailing the routing. I loved it.