User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2012, 03:47 AM   #5371
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Day 14 Stats

And the day's tracks in .gpx format can be retrieved from here.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:54 AM   #5372
radianrider
Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer: 439
Guess I'll leave actual sourcing to joenuclear. All I can say is I've never seen cow with a concussion caused by running into a red barn during a blizzard.

(I'll be here all week...try the veal.)
radianrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:54 AM   #5373
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Thank you SO much.

Next question: Why are barns red?
In early America, it was common to make paint out of burnt iron oxide found in the ground, milk, and lime, which were commonly available and cheap. The resulting color was what we now call 'barn red." It made a durable paint. Barns are red now because of tradition and the fact they produce a lot of paint in that color cheaply. Iron pigments are inexpensive.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:59 AM   #5374
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Our eating theme continued

the next morning:

hungry boys.

and we spent a rainy saturday on bike maintenance and gear sorting.

Dave started his haul back up north before his visa expired.

and we changed oil, and yet again replaced blueberry's brake light. Testing 1,2,3,... is this thing on?

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 08-13-2012, 04:01 AM   #5375
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 839
Great Ride Report

Fantastic ride report as usual Doc.

Beautiful country out there.
johnpitts01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:05 AM   #5376
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

For dinner

we grilled a big pile 'o meat,

and sipped some frontier whiskey.

Sunday, we had our bike hibernation ceremony,

which LDF documented from the dry confines of chezQ.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:09 AM   #5377
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

A big BIG

Thank you! to Questor & company,

for the good food, technical support, generous company, warm hospitality and getting us to the airport on time. Looking forward to seeing you again in a few weeks!

Here's to M10.

All aboard!
Old 08-13-2012, 04:16 AM   #5378
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
In early America, it was common to make paint out of burnt iron oxide found in the ground, milk, and lime, which were commonly available and cheap. The resulting color was what we now call 'barn red." It made a durable paint. Barns are red now because of tradition and the fact they produce a lot of paint in that color cheaply. Iron pigments are inexpensive.
There are a lot of theories, but if it was a practical matter, or a cost issue, then why only barns? Doesn't make sense. If I were to ask, why do farmers in New England make fences out of stones? the answer would be it's practical, and cheap. But if they all only made a stone fence on the north side of the fields, and used wood and barb wire for the other three sides, wouldn't you wonder why? I guess I should rephrase my question, Why are ONLY barns red? Or Why aren't other farm structures painted red like barns?
Old 08-13-2012, 04:44 AM   #5379
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
There are a lot of theories, but if it was a practical matter, or a cost issue, then why only barns? Doesn't make sense. If I were to ask, why do farmers in New England make fences out of stones? the answer would be it's practical, and cheap. But if they all only made a stone fence on the north side of the fields, and used wood and barb wire for the other three sides, wouldn't you wonder why? I guess I should rephrase my question, Why are ONLY barns red? Or Why aren't other farm structures painted red like barns?
"Pinkham" was a fairly common place name -- barn red color was THE color, if you didn't want white, which is the other cheap and easy color to make in milk paint. I believe Farley Mowat alludes to this in The Boat Who Wouldn't Float. Barn red is a practical color for barns, as it doesn't show dirt.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:01 AM   #5380
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,050
See "Ocre".
Old 08-13-2012, 07:11 AM   #5381
Rutsref
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Thumb Very Nice

Superfantabulisticness

Thanks so much for bringing us along!!!!!
(I've been waiting for the "Rock Wall" section since seeing the spot tracks from that day)
Now that's what I'm talkin about.
Cheers

Rutsref screwed with this post 08-13-2012 at 07:16 AM
Rutsref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:14 AM   #5382
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Red barns read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
"Pinkham" was a fairly common place name -- barn red color was THE color, if you didn't want white, which is the other cheap and easy color to make in milk paint. I believe Farley Mowat alludes to this in The Boat Who Wouldn't Float. Barn red is a practical color for barns, as it doesn't show dirt.
I like this "as cheap as white, but doesn't show dirt" line of reasoning, but I doubt the use of red evolved out of practicality here in the US. If I had to guess, the tradition was already firmly established, since the origin of red paint dates back to long before our iconic American barns of New England, the East, and certainly Midwest were being painted. This entry for Falu red gives a nice history of cheap and easy red pigment being used to paint farm buildings as far back as the 16th century. In Scandinavia red is still used for residential buildings, but because of its widespread use in agriculture buildings, when the tradition was brought to the US (or Colonies), given our obsession with status and appearances, no one would dare paint their house red since that was already associated with animal housing.

If my dad ever gets this far in this ride report he'll be laughing, because the question of "why are barns red?" was a favorite of my mother's. She'd throw it out on a long car ride when we were kids, and we'd spend hours trying to convince her of what we considered the obvious reasons... and she'd always counter with "where's the proof, do you know or are you guessing?" or "why only barns?", or "you know, cows are colorblind", or "why would they use blood when most of the slaughterhouses were in the cities? (her dad worked in the stock yards in Chicago for a time).

I hadn't ever tried to dig up a definitive answer in the internet era , but from all I've reviewed, the debate continues. For me, it will always be a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:17 AM   #5383
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutsref View Post

(I've been waiting for the "Rock Wall" section since seeing the spot tracks from that day)
Now that's what I'm talkin about.
Cheers
It was like Erzberg and Romaniacs all rolled up into one.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:21 AM   #5384
Rutsref
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Lol

Quote:
It was like Erzberg and Romaniacs all rolled up into one.
OR like a D37 National here in So Cal, without the pretty trees! ;-)
Old 08-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #5385
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

I love it when a rider starts quoting Winston Churchill.