DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
M10 prelim route

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingWeed View Post
M10 GPS files are looking GREAT Doc!!!!

Scott
Thanks, Scott. They're gettin' there. Total route is about 2050 miles. I'm finally feeling like I'm getting caught up. What I've tried to do is:

1. Find what to my eye look like good sections to ride on the Benchmark atlas, you know, long dotted, curvy lines that cross a lot of topo elevations, far away from the main roads and towns, passing through the green zones (NF's) whenever possible, not too many labeled 4WD (but some), and avoiding gates, active mines, and Indian Reservations.
2. Incorporate enough meandering so that if we get behind pace or blocked by gates or forest fire or whatever then we can easily short-cut a section.
3. Fuel stops at most 160 miles apart whenever possible, if longer, then labeled clearly when to carry extra. (See MT G*FL WtSulfSpr).
Then...
4. Transcribe it into BaseCamp using the minimum number of shaping points to allow auto-routing with "follow-road, shortest-distance, avoid nothing" settings.
5. Go back and forth viewing sections in BaseCamp and GoogleEarth, (on Mac BaseCamp, select "View current map area in GoogleEarth" under the "View" menu), when necessary setting the route line to 30% opacity in GoogleEarth to enable visualization of the road/trail. "Show roads" set to OFF on GoogleEarth (the line they use can fool you into thinking there's a road there).
6. Confirm that something exists on the satellite image that looks like a road or trail. If I have to zoom in more than 1000ft from the ground, it's probably a cow trail.
7. Use the GoogleEarth "Street-view" feature whenever the route crosses a paved road to visualize the dirt road's entry or exit and confirm that it is really there and isn't obviously gated.
8. In smaller towns, use Street-view to see if gas pumps exist or if businesses are boarded up.
9. Based on findings in steps 6-8, revise route. (I'm still on this step)
10. Repeat steps 1-9 until route is set and confirmed.
11. Add waypoints for special instructions, notes, lodging, alternates, bail-out points, etc.
12. Convert the entire route to a track, and convert that to a map overlay.
13. Distribute route and map overlay to M10 riders.
14. Do my best to forget what I've seen in steps 1-12 so that it still seems fresh and new when I ride it and every so often I surprise myself.

Current revision is now available for download here. I will also post a link when the map overlay is available.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:52 AM   #5403
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,701
King Of Routing

As Alberta Strom said----I believe you are truly the "King Of Routing" Dave.

You are using all the tools to lay out something very good. It's got to be a labor of love.
Just as writing a ride report---a labor of love----as it is a whole lot of work.

Good Stuff--Thanks !!

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:37 AM   #5404
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Just as writing a ride report---a labor of love----as it is a whole lot of work.

BigDog
Boy do you have that right Mark, it's more work then doing an oil change on a 950 Adventure !

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:51 AM   #5405
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oh yeah. One last consideration:
Avoid roads that the Big Dog & Dingweed have already ridden.

That's really hard. :)
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 08-19-2012, 05:55 AM   #5406
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

You'll like the Gravelly Range Doc a western gem the CDR blows right by

If you camp up there make sure you have bear mace as it's Griz country big time.

DockingPilot screwed with this post 08-19-2012 at 10:20 AM
Old 08-19-2012, 05:58 AM   #5407
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
You'll like the Gravelly Range Doc
If you camp up there make sure you have bear mace as it's Griz country big time.

Don't go scaring LDF with the talk of BEARS!

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:00 AM   #5408
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
Don't go scaring LDF with the talk of BEARS!
Oh I meant boo-boo bear.
I dont think your scaring LDF too easy and she will have BD, Dingweed and Doc standing sentry! One look at Big Dog and any brute will turn tail and run !

DockingPilot screwed with this post 08-19-2012 at 07:42 AM
Old 08-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #5409
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,833
I'm going to give another thumbs-up for the Gravelys. Excellent views and lots of flowers.

Also, for your planning/etc, here's the maps and tracks from the two runs of the Montana 1000. All greatest hits from local riders, complete with both "big bike friendly" and psycho-paths:

https://sites.google.com/site/mt1k20...current-routes

https://sites.google.com/site/mt1k2011/home

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #5410
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
I'm going to give another thumbs-up for the Gravelys. Excellent views and lots of flowers.

Also, for your planning/etc, here's the maps and tracks from the two runs of the Montana 1000. All greatest hits from local riders, complete with both "big bike friendly" and psycho-paths:

https://sites.google.com/site/mt1k20...current-routes

https://sites.google.com/site/mt1k2011/home
Thanks, Wadester...
The 2010 route is too far west from where we're going to be able to incorporate, but the 2011 route... the eastern leg of your route is nearly 100% overlap with what I came up with. Spooky.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #5411
McDOPE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
M10 Routing

I've been trying to scope out your M10 route on an 11 inch MacBook Air in Ouray. It has become an exercise in frustration compared to my 27 incher at home. Motel Wifi is maddeningly slow. Looks like Colorado segment in under construction. I did bring along my Benchmark Atlas so will spend some time with that during downtime. Also sent a message via "ADV private" but never see a way to confirm it went out. It is almost "Oban" time so I'll drink to your success.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #5412
folknride
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Awe Inspiring

You guys are heroes to me - and I don't think I've ever said that to a living person before. After riding with you a bit on M 8, then following along on this last epic trip, I envy you in a way that questions my mental health .
To me, you bring the perfect mix of adventure and safety to this crazy thing we do.
I'm pining for a lighter bike so I can do a bit more of your kind of travel. I love the 990, but for my skill (and age ), it's big when the tire tracks fade. As I read your report, my continuously alternating thoughts were "geez I wish I was there", and "God I'm glad I'm not there".
Dr.Rock and LDF, best of luck on M 10 - I hope our paths cross again some time. And AlbertaStrom, hope to see you soon. (are you doing the BC ride)
Ron
folknride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #5413
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
Doc,

After following you from the beginning of M1, I to am inspired to travel dual sport style, albeit on a day trip basis to start. However, I am GPS challenged. We have a Nuvia that I used to travel from OR to GA and it was fine for freeway grinding. It can be a devil box (as you have called it) at times and its certainly not for offroad used. How good are the Atlas maps you occasionally refer to? I'm old school enough to still appreciate a paper map. Also, what do you guys like for bug repellant when camping? Other readers feel free to chime in, in pm if you wish so we don't hijack.

Thanks,

Stuart

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #5414
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
1. Find what to my eye look like good sections to ride on the Benchmark atlas, you know, long dotted, curvy lines that cross a lot of topo elevations, far away from the main roads and towns, passing through the green zones (NF's) whenever possible, not too many labeled 4WD (but some), and avoiding gates, active mines, and Indian Reservations.
2. Incorporate enough meandering so that if we get behind pace or blocked by gates or forest fire or whatever then we can easily short-cut a section.
3. Fuel stops at most 160 miles apart whenever possible, if longer, then labeled clearly when to carry extra. (See MT G*FL WtSulfSpr).
Then...
4. Transcribe it into BaseCamp using the minimum number of shaping points to allow auto-routing with "follow-road, shortest-distance, avoid nothing" settings.
5. Go back and forth viewing sections in BaseCamp and GoogleEarth, (on Mac BaseCamp, select "View current map area in GoogleEarth" under the "View" menu), when necessary setting the route line to 30% opacity in GoogleEarth to enable visualization of the road/trail. "Show roads" set to OFF on GoogleEarth (the line they use can fool you into thinking there's a road there).
6. Confirm that something exists on the satellite image that looks like a road or trail. If I have to zoom in more than 1000ft from the ground, it's probably a cow trail.
7. Use the GoogleEarth "Street-view" feature whenever the route crosses a paved road to visualize the dirt road's entry or exit and confirm that it is really there and isn't obviously gated.
8. In smaller towns, use Street-view to see if gas pumps exist or if businesses are boarded up.
11. Add waypoints for special instructions, notes, lodging, alternates, bail-out points, etc.
14. Do my best to forget what I've seen in steps 1-12 so that it still seems fresh and new when I ride it and every so often I surprise myself.
that there is a well thought out gps nav manifesto.

Thanks for sharing M9 and all the other tid bits. I'll be riding about a 1/3 of your m9 tracks while the posse is out on m10.

I get a sense that working on nav related problems is a bit of an escape for you from the day to day and recharges the ol'battery. I know that's what it does for me....

dvwalker screwed with this post 08-19-2012 at 08:25 PM
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #5415
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Thanks, Scott. They're gettin' there. Total route is about 2050 miles. I'm finally feeling like I'm getting caught up. What I've tried to do is:

Then...

Current revision is now available for download here. I will also post a link when the map overlay is available.
Excellent summary on trip planning steps... THANKS!!!

Quite curious as to why step 12? Why a map overlay, and what does this entail? And, isn't combining all tracks into one constraining due to max number of waypoints per track limits in your gps? I noticed on M9 that some of the day tracks exceeded 400 waypoints. Do some gps units accommodate very large tracks?