Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #5431
bluemtnridr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DingWeed View Post
And watch out when he pulls those out!!!!!!............

Scott

Don't let all this gabbing about critters bother you LDF, I have a hunch with all the snoring and fartin going on will keep bears,skunks,buffs,chipmunks,and antthing else with four legs at least one county away.

JD

Who knows you might like it and want to do it again tomorrow.
bluemtnridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #5432
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
LDF and Basecamp

First of all... what does LDF stand for? I am sure the answer will make me feel stupid.

Also trying to make the switch to Basecamp. Everytime I try to work in Basecamp I get frustrated and go back to Mapsource.

John
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #5433
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpitts01 View Post
First of all... what does LDF stand for? I am sure the answer will make me feel stupid.

Also trying to make the switch to Basecamp. Everytime I try to work in Basecamp I get frustrated and go back to Mapsource.

John

I'm guessing La Donna Fugata

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #5434
LisaS
Dubious Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
questions: Does New York require inspection on Motorcycles (Maine does)? If so, then obviously you have a logistical issue getting them inspected, so if you are riding in another state does it matter whether or not the bikes are inspected or is it a non-issue?

By the way, I have been following along since Mobius 1 and looking forward to your next segment. Thanks for all the time and energy you put into your RR.
tent space
LisaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #5435
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaS View Post
questions: Does New York require inspection on Motorcycles (Maine does)? If so, then obviously you have a logistical issue getting them inspected, so if you are riding in another state does it matter whether or not the bikes are inspected or is it a non-issue?

By the way, I have been following along since Mobius 1 and looking forward to your next segment. Thanks for all the time and energy you put into your RR.
Hey Lisa, yes, NY has inspection. We have been remiss in obtaining ours due to getting sidetracked . I swear we will get them inspected as soon as we get them to New York . That'll be sometime around the first of never.

If you're riding through a state as a non-resident, they only seem to care at most that the bike is registered (plated) and insured, and that it appears to be more or less legal (brake tail and headlights work, radar detectors and RPG's removed, as appropriate, tassels are OK).

That said, we don't have much interaction with the law, or anyone for that matter. Though we did cross into and out of Canada several times.

Obviously, we keep our registrations and insurance up to date.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #5436
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
How do you handle air filter cleanings and oilings while on your trips?
Old 08-25-2012, 06:45 AM   #5437
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
How do you handle air filter cleanings and oilings while on your trips?
Oil changes and air filter cleaning after each trip (~2000-2500miles) or if we have to take a day off for some other reason and we're somewhere we can buy oil. We have scotts reusable filters -- just wash them off in soapy water, rinse, and let them air dry. We use no-toil filter soap and oil which we carry so if it's really dusty we can clean them most anywhere.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 08-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #5438
McDOPE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
State Inspections

Quote:

Hi Lisa,
In March of 2012 Colorado began enorcing the display of a $25 OHV (Off-Highway Vehicle) Registration sticker. Prior to that, (street legal) "plated" motor cycles could ride off road w/o this sticker. The state claims the proceeds go for trail maintenance which I have yet to see taking place. While technically not an "inspection" sticker if you are inspected off road and don't have one you can be fined $50. This year I purchased mine in April and was given a 60 day paper "temporary" pending receipt of the sticker from the state. I got my stickers 4 days ago. It seems odd to me that Jeeps driven off road on the same trails have no such tariff, that Colorado residents who must cross NF land to reach a homestead and "out of state" vehicles are not required to purchase the OHV sticker. I guess it is a moot point as I have never once encountered a Forest Service official while trail riding. Dr. Rock and LDF will, therefore, have "diplomatic immunity" while riding in Colorado next month.....I'm in the "non issue" camp at this point. When I called to say my "temp" had expired and I had no sticker I was told not to worry..."The Rangers know we are behind and are being very lenient."
Old 08-26-2012, 05:11 AM   #5439
LisaS
Dubious Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDOPE View Post
Hi Lisa,
In March of 2012 Colorado began enorcing the display of a $25 OHV (Off-Highway Vehicle) Registration sticker. Prior to that, (street legal) "plated" motor cycles could ride off road w/o this sticker. The state claims the proceeds go for trail maintenance which I have yet to see taking place. While technically not an "inspection" sticker if you are inspected off road and don't have one you can be fined $50. This year I purchased mine in April and was given a 60 day paper "temporary" pending receipt of the sticker from the state. I got my stickers 4 days ago. It seems odd to me that Jeeps driven off road on the same trails have no such tariff, that Colorado residents who must cross NF land to reach a homestead and "out of state" vehicles are not required to purchase the OHV sticker. I guess it is a moot point as I have never once encountered a Forest Service official while trail riding. Dr. Rock and LDF will, therefore, have "diplomatic immunity" while riding in Colorado next month.....I'm in the "non issue" camp at this point. When I called to say my "temp" had expired and I had no sticker I was told not to worry..."The Rangers know we are behind and are being very lenient."
Maine not only now requires dual sports to be plated and inspected for the road, but you also have to purchase an ATV sticker for off road. HOWEVER, bikes are not allowed on ALL of the ATV trails - some flawed logic on the part of some of the landowners that the bikes tear up the trails more than the ATVs.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Hey Lisa, yes, NY has inspection. We have been remiss in obtaining ours due to getting sidetracked . I swear we will get them inspected as soon as we get them to New York . That'll be sometime around the first of never.

If you're riding through a state as a non-resident, they only seem to care at most that the bike is registered (plated) and insured, and that it appears to be more or less legal (brake tail and headlights work, radar detectors and RPG's removed, as appropriate, tassels are OK).

That said, we don't have much interaction with the law, or anyone for that matter. Though we did cross into and out of Canada several times.

Obviously, we keep our registrations and insurance up to date.
I am not sure if Maine enforces out of state inspections, but they do require a temporary ATV sticker for people from out of state, so I am guessing they may be a bit anal about the inspections as well. On the other hand, have never seen a warden when we have been out on the trails. As far as the trails that do not allow bikes- most of them ARE NOT clearly marked at the the trail head, just on the trail map: http://www.maine.gov/doc/parks/progr.../atv_maps.html
Funnily enough, it is very difficult when you are riding to see when that trail changes from green to red. And, as you can see, the trail map is a bit short on landmarks.
So I guess that leads me to another question for you Dr. Rock- Do any other states require ATV stickers for your dual sport motorcycle?
tent space
LisaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #5440
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Stickers?

We ain't got no stickers. We don't need no stickers. I don't have to show you any stinkin' stickers!

Quote:
...So I guess that leads me to another question for you Dr. Rock- Do any other states require ATV stickers for your dual sport motorcycle?
Probably , but >95% of our riding is on legal roads, not ATV trails. There's one section of the TAT in CO just before UT, maybe a couple of short connector segments in OR. A few others? Even last trip in UT, the Hell Climb on the second to last day was technically a road (though also part of an ATV trail system).

We spend so little time on pure ATV trails that frankly I think it's unrealistic in planning trips like ours to be able to figure out exactly where the ATV trails are (they're very rarely identified on the GPS, atlases or maps), and then sort out different states' rules.

If we find ourselves on an ATV trail and get stopped (highly unlikely), I would bet the price of the fine that we'd be let go with a warning. Here's what we've got going for us: We're adults, not teenagers. We're riding sane and ATGATT, not speeding or driving recklessly. At least one of us is a civilized woman , not a bunch of redneck meathead blowhards. We're carrying luggage on street-legal bikes, not riding stripped-down, loud and smelly 2-strokes. We're obviously only passing through, not parking a trailer in a lot and riding loops in a trail system. We're on 400cc bikes from FAR away, not locals who should know better. We'd plead ignorance, apologize, ask for directions, offer to buy the stickers or tags or whatever from the ranger, and see what happens.

If, say, NJ required tags for us to ride in the Pine Barrens, I'd take a different approach: I'd buy the tags.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 08-26-2012 at 07:58 PM
Old 08-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #5441
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

M10 update

We're continuing with our M9 sponsor, Anti-hassle Tassels™, totally making life worth living. After burning through 8 previous sponsors in 8 trips, I think this one is finally gonna stick.

Our cast of characters is shaping up nicely... Big Dog and Dingweed have signed on soup to nuts, NorthernTraveler will ride the first sections through MT, and pass the baton to MTRider who is planning on joining us from 9/13-17. We've heard from SoosCreek, Bluemtnrider, and a couple others, but nothing firm.

The route, waypoints, POI's, tracks, and a .gmap overlay plus notes and instructions are available for download here. Those on the email distribution already have the files (except for the POI's -- I reckon you've got your own, though the campsite list is pretty awesome). I've separated out the contact info list to protect the hidden identities of any superheroes -- it'll only be available to those on the email distribution.

Just like in the days leading up to the spring Mobius when we follow the NOAA's daily snow depth - .KML overlay, in the fall we follow the MODIS current fire activity on GoogleEarth. (Click on "AFM KML Bundle -- current" on this page ). Looks like the Delphia incident is the only one close to our route, though the Stage 1 & 2 restrictions are in effect for most of our Montana sections. That means no campfires 'till Wyoming.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #5442
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,844
Me and Scotts plan

Dave,

Me and Dingweeds have just confirmed our flight plans.

Me and him will meet in Rawlins, Wyoming on the evening or afternoon of the 5th. And will ride our bikes from there to Idaho Falls taking 2 days to do it-------------following a tad of the CDR (Dingweed's favorite part)----a touch of the T2 portion of the Tour Of Idaho--------------and a whole lot of winging it on what Dingweeds calls "Cut-a-Cross" roads. It should be all dirt. See you guys on the 7th.

By the way---there is a road on your route that is called "Cut-A-Cross" road-----Dingweeds has got to have a picture of a road sign if there is one. Also I see we are going over "Suicide Pass"-------that ought to be interesting.

I think Scott is packing a 2 gallon rotopax-------------that he is gracious enough to share with me.
Our Aqualine tanks will take us a good 250----270 miles---with an extra gallon each from the rotopax we should have a range of 310---330 miles. What a guy----hauls my extra gas and changes my tires while I take a shower.

We'll be packin' an axe and a "sven" saw for campfire duties and trail clearing------if and when we can make a fire.

It's gettin' close.

BigDog
Old 08-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #5443
wyoly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Doc, sorry to say no campfires in Wyoming either, same restrictions as Montana. I live in Sheridan and the fire restrictions have been in effect for awhile. Was up camping in the Bighorns and wasn't the same at night without a campfire. Would like to ride with you for the day as you go through the Bighorns if it works out for me.
wyoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:55 AM   #5444
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,327
We purchased the Maine reg decals. Maine has wonderful state maintained trails like the 88 mile long Downeast Sunrise Trail that runs close to the coast and is really nice. But the state charges non residents who are just passing through the same as residents. $65. Pretty steep. They need to change that.
Oregon in contrast also has a reg requirement but it is only $10.

Your route looks great Doc !
And ironically, has eastern Montana in it, just where I was thinking of heading for our next epic.
We fly out for Seattle Fri eve. We will be riding around the same time but on the west coast this time, so safe travels and have a ball everyone.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:31 AM   #5445
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
We purchased the Maine reg decals. Maine has wonderful state maintained trails like the 88 mile long Downeast Sunrise Trail that runs close to the coast and is really nice. But the state charges non residents who are just passing through the same as residents. $65. Pretty steep. They need to change that.
Oregon in contrast also has a reg requirement but it is only $10.
This is true but you must show your title or bring you VIN with you to get the sticker. If you don't have the sticker and get stopped (they do check regularly), it's close to $100 fine. You also have to have it placed in the correct spot on the bike or you get dinged.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote