Old 09-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #5491
TaZ9
Ultimate Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDOPE View Post
Hi Lisa,
In March of 2012 Colorado began enorcing the display of a $25 OHV (Off-Highway Vehicle) Registration sticker. Prior to that, (street legal) "plated" motor cycles could ride off road w/o this sticker. The state claims the proceeds go for trail maintenance which I have yet to see taking place. While technically not an "inspection" sticker if you are inspected off road and don't have one you can be fined $50. This year I purchased mine in April and was given a 60 day paper "temporary" pending receipt of the sticker from the state. I got my stickers 4 days ago. It seems odd to me that Jeeps driven off road on the same trails have no such tariff, that Colorado residents who must cross NF land to reach a homestead and "out of state" vehicles are not required to purchase the OHV sticker. I guess it is a moot point as I have never once encountered a Forest Service official while trail riding. Dr. Rock and LDF will, therefore, have "diplomatic immunity" while riding in Colorado next month.....I'm in the "non issue" camp at this point. When I called to say my "temp" had expired and I had no sticker I was told not to worry..."The Rangers know we are behind and are being very lenient."
The State of Colorado does NOT require legally titled and plated motorycles to have an OHV sticker to ride on off road trails. This issue has been cussed and discussed on the Rocky Mountain Forum, but it is apparently still being mis-stated. If your bike is legally plated, you're OK!

Ride Safe,

Taz9
TaZ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #5492
McDOPE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Colorado OHV

I know this has been discussed ( and cussed). I have my stickers so it is a non issue for me. I did call Colorado Parks and Wildlife this morning and they directed me to the statue which they claim requires, in state, plated vehicle owners to purchase and display the OHV sticker when using off road routes for RECREATIONAL purposes. That said, Tom Metsa, the agent I spoke with also added that there are a total of six agents in his office charged with enforcing this statute and they have yet to write a citation....so...it is still probably a non issue. Sounds like you are already in possession of the statue, but in case you not, it is labeled 33-14.5-112 At this point I submit that what is "required" and what is enforced may be at odds and confusing to the riding public...
Old 09-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #5493
TaZ9
Ultimate Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDOPE View Post
I know this has been discussed ( and cussed). I have my stickers so it is a non issue for me. I did call Colorado Parks and Wildlife this morning and they directed me to the statue which they claim requires, in state, plated vehicle owners to purchase and display the OHV sticker when using off road routes for RECREATIONAL purposes. That said, Tom Metsa, the agent I spoke with also added that there are a total of six agents in his office charged with enforcing this statute and they have yet to write a citation....so...it is still probably a non issue. Sounds like you are already in possession of the statue, but in case you not, it is labeled 33-14.5-112 At this point I submit that what is "required" and what is enforced may be at odds and confusing to the riding public...
I agree it can be confusing, but even the signage they post supports my statement that while "unlicensed" motorcycles are required to have an OHV sticker, Licensed motorcycles are NOT required to have and OHV sticker, since by law (being plated) they are not considered OHV's. A photo of such signage is shown here.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=769031&page=6

Ride safe,

Taz9

TaZ9 screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 10:44 AM Reason: spelling
TaZ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #5494
McDOPE
Adventurer

M10 near the end.

Looks like the Mobius crew is stopped atop Kenosha pass at 10K ft. tonight. Luckily daytime temps have been in the 70's. Arrival in Denver could be tomorrow or Saturday. Can't wait to hear of the latest adventure.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #5495
opjocephus
I'm down, I'm down!

Oddometer: 535
"Your eyes look like a couple of piss holes in a snow bank." The Great Jaydini
opjocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:13 PM   #5496
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
M10

Just wanted to say............It was an Honor and a Blast to ride with everybody on M10!!!

Thanks for the memories!!

Scott
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #5497
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,119
++1!
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #5498
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Getting caught up with the other life

Just got a chance to clear pitchers and vids off memory cards. 2865 files.

I returned to work and found someone had taken the equivalent of an electronic dump on my desk. I'm almost done sorting through the emails, culling the "must-reply" from the "OK to ignore"... then I've got to actually reply the "must-reply" things.

We had a total crew of 10 at various points of M10. Kismet how it worked out that way. I know others have their own pitchers and stories, so we'll be going one day at a time. I'm going to process a day, and then post a day, y'all can jump in... and then we'll move on to the next day. And so on. Patience is appreciated.

Still haven't even unpacked.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 09-27-2012 at 06:49 AM
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #5499
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,104
Hey Dr. Rock.

I'm glad you all made it back safely.

I took two weeks off too, and came back the same "electronic dump".
Eight days later, I'm finally caught up and now have a chance to check in on all my friends in ADV-land.

No hurry on your Mobius Updates. We all know how much time these Ride Reports take.

I'm probably not going to get around to my ride Report of the WABDR and KTM Rally till November.

Again, I'm glad you're "back".
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #5500
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor View Post
Hey Dr. Rock.

I'm glad you all made it back safely.

Q~
Ed,
Can't thank you enough for putting us all up---what a gracious thing for you to do while you were gone. I'm thinkin' Mr. Purr is missing me.

It was so funny----Mr. Prrrr was in the bathroom and I was going to take a shower-----so I forgot it was his house and he was a cat and asked him to go outside the bathroom while I took a shower---------like I do my dog who jumps at whatever I say.

He gave me a look like----------------"I don't think so bud". Oh------OK, you can stay.

Thanks again---from all of us.

Also really enjoyed my new Badlands Pro suit---------it was perfect for the ride-------good stuff !!!!!

That KLIM stuff is bad-ass-------you need to get some

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #5501
McDOPE
Adventurer

Thumb Huzza!

It was a Moto Honor to have hosted Dr. Rock, LDF, Dingweed and Dingweedette, at M10 trails end. Thanks!
Great conversation, beer, laundry, beer, bike work, company, pix, food, adult beverages, food, anecdotes, beer etc.
It resulted in a whole new dimension of following the Mobius adventures.
The rest of the world should know that the Rock and the Lady are connoisseurs of so much more than the road and the ride.
Thanks also from our "Superstitious" friend from the Isle of Jura who will continue to enjoy the visit for weeks to come.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:46 AM   #5502
La Donna Fugata
You're not the boss of me

Oddometer: 153
Thank you

Thanks for all your kind words everyone. It was such a pleasure to meet so many great ADVriders in person. It made for a GREAT M10.

A big thank you Q and Dave for hosting us on both ends of our M10 trip.

Be well everyone

LDF
La Donna Fugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #5503
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
M10 fun

Doc & LDF -

It was great fun riding with you and the rest of the gang!

Good to finally meet after the emails over the years......

Good route and great riding along the way.... and I really hope somebody got a picture or video of everybody sweeping across that farmers field as we attempted to get back on track - classic! LOL....

I'm still wandering around out here.... hope to make it out of Montana in a few more days... the planned route didn't always work as expected, but then again that's what makes it Adventure Riding!

I'm now over 4000 miles in the last 3 weeks... and still going.

Cheers!
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #5504
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,773
Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler View Post
Doc & LDF -

Good route and great riding along the way.... and I really hope somebody got a picture or video of everybody sweeping across that farmers field as we attempted to get back on track - classic! LOL....

Cheers!
Yeh------the Sheriff came to Dingweeds house and confiscated that video while you was out "connecting roads and trails"

We'll all go down together though---we won't let you take all the heat

I felt like a sheep farmer in cattle country and Josey Wales was on my tail.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 09-29-2012 at 02:30 PM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #5505
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Yeh------the Sheriff came to Dingweeds house and confiscated that video while you was out "connecting roads and trails"

We'll all go down together though---we won't let you take all the heat

I felt like a sheep farmer in cattle country and Josey Wales was on my tail.

BigDog
I told em they wasnt gonna take me alive!!!!

Scott
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote