User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #5671
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
The trail

was pretty sweet -- technical, but not too tough, a welcomed change from the wider roads with loose gravel we'd been on.

and then... rut row. The road seemed to peter out, crossed a gully, maybe?

Mark saw a trail marker, and headed down...

Scott followed...

and then they both stopped. That's not a good sign.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #5672
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Hell climb...

30% grade. Nice.

Short break, then... "Let's finish this off..."

Uh oh, Francine's down.

No biggie, she'd made it 98% of the way to the top... we got her the rest of the way up, and we were back on track.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #5673
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

What goes up...

not too bad,

but then... The Big Dog got nailed!

Old 10-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #5674
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

and by "nailed"

I mean:

Well, Mark and Scott are like a well-oiled machine:

I tried to offer help, but they just grunted and said "step aside, rookie"

Mark doesn't like to use patches, and we were out of rear tubes, so he put a front 21" tube in the back.

Francine was sporting a dirt moustache...

and when I told her, she said "stop, don't take my pitcher",

so I stopped.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #5675
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

They eventually

let me help,

Is that poison ivy?

Or poison sumac?

Back on the trail,

we were having a great day,

But I made a mental note that we should probably try to find a new spare rear tube... we still had a lot of miles to cover.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #5676
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The last bit

into Stanford was great,

I anticipated that we'd be in some flatter ranch land, not too exciting until we got to the Missouri Breaks area.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #5677
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

sure enough

Stanford was in the flats,

Funny, I don't remember stopping?

But I think we picked up groceries.

I remember these two guys, though:

Old 10-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #5678
rugbyrtcwka
railroader

Oddometer: 512
What happened?

to your microphone? When you started to do video updates I was able to understand much better what you were saying. Now all I here, for the most part, is wind and your motorcycle. Your going to have to find a way to get that mic inside your helmet and out of the wind and engine noise. Aside from, and dispite that, you have the best MC blogs on the internet, Bar none!
Old 10-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #5679
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Yeah,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbyrtcwka View Post
to your microphone? ...Your going to have to find a way to get that mic inside your helmet and out of the wind and engine noise....
'bout that: I was using a new video cam, that is very ingeniously incorporated into the goggles. It's a Liquid Image impact 1080HD, much lighter and less cumbersome than the video cam mount on top of the helmet, and when I tested it at home, the audio was great. Unfortunately, as you've noted, once I start moving, you can't hear my voice. I'm going to have to decide what to do going forward... either talk more when stopped, or shout when moving, or just talk when moving slowly... I don't think there's a really easy way to hack the thing and mount a mic inside the helmet like I did with the ContourHD.

[the other thing I love about it is the nose guard which keeps my big schnoz from getting sunburnt. ]

I've left out a bunch of videos where the main point was what I was saying, and the visual of riding was sort of secondary. When that's the case, I generally tell the story in the text, which I've always done... but what you miss is tone of voice, etc. Especially with Francine's occasional meltdowns . The videos I am including are more to show what the terrain and trail were like.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:05 AM   #5680
waylongway
madmax

Oddometer: 409
[the other thing I love about it is the nose guard which keeps my big schnoz from getting sunburnt. ] .....
Old 10-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #5681
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 733
Really enjoyed looking at that old 1804 L&C map of the NW. I tucked that gem one away for future reference. I was surprised the names for cascade range cones were fairly well established back in the day and haven't changed, except Mt Rainier, which had the extra french "e" suffix (iere) on the old map. Of coarse the local Indians all had different names for them before the white man did the redo.

continue to really enjoy the great story telling and perspectives, keep up coming...
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #5682
McDOPE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Better Days

"I slide out of the sleeping bag, and unzip the tent. The smoke and haze has completely blown off, and we're treated to this:"

Every Tuesday, 9/11 not withstanding....This shows a better "fire in the sky" and a better place to be.
Sorry you had to experience the first....glad the second has taken it's place.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:15 AM   #5683
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Sign of the times?

a little concerning, given that we're sleeping out doors most nights...

I knew this section wouldn't be particularly challenging,

but we couldn't complain too much...

it was fast, with no traffic, and great weather.

I actually love blasting across these wide open spaces.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:45 AM   #5684
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,106
This is making the rapid approach of winter in these parts so difficult to bear ... Outstanding pioneering work, ya'll.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #5685
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

These

old structures, barns, cabins, homesteads... it's interesting; they don't seem to be preserved per se, but they're not torn down either. It doesn't seem to be neglect, like some of the junkyardesque landscaping we've seen in other places. It's almost like they're kept for nostalgic reasons, and allowed to fall to entropy at their own pace. I'd love to hear some local perspective .

I have a collection of "faded sign" photographs: