User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2012, 06:30 AM   #5701
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Knox ridge road

BLM signs -- fantastic, we'll be out of ranchland quagmire for awhile, maybe.

stop for a drink,

and a coffee redistribution procedure. I don't think Mark is used to riding with wimmin... they tend to prefer a bit more cover for their pit stops.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:36 AM   #5702
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Now we're getting there

This is a refuge for Russell Terriers:

I think they're on the endangered list. We didn't see any, just these gals:

The plains dropped off on either side of the road, which ran along the ridge,

And, The Missouri River was off to our left (north)

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-26-2012, 06:43 AM   #5703
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The hills

on either side of the road,

started to get steeper and steeper,

and the road became more narrow, and a little more hilly,

Old 10-26-2012, 06:47 AM   #5704
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The last bit

as we got close to Hwy 191 got really interesting... not challenging, really... just very cool to ride and see.

Nobody saw it, but I dropped my bike here accidentally while I stopped to take this pitcher.

this was just about the furthest northern point of M10.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:53 AM   #5705
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,033
Wow! What a discovery. I've got to get up there!
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:57 AM   #5706
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

That

Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
Wow! What a discovery. I've got to get up there!
wasn't even the best part.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #5707
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

As we jumped on

Hwy 191 for 4 or 5 miles, we spied these guys:

Dingweeds was our resident wildlife expert,...

I think he said these guys were "Russell Terriers".

They certainly caught his attention, he was practically salivating:

Old 10-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #5708
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We missed

the turnoff onto Musselshell trail, and had to backtrack...

it started out wide and flat,

we were still heading east,

not much out here. Very savannah-like

tea time. snacks.

Many of the side trails that were labeled 4wd on the gps had these signs on them;

We also saw signs like these, but it seemed we could enter and stay on the road. Usually it was a non-gated cattle-guard.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #5709
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,664
Day 5

Once again there was the meeting of the minds-----Francine was really the brains of the outfit---she just let us look like we were.

I think I better look where I'm going.

What a handsome crew.
Were like the KLIM poster childs.

We blew out of Winnifred before the lawn sprinklers went off and headed straight East.
Something called the "Missouri Breaks" loomed out there in the bare loneliness.

The Missouri River

We went South a bit on Hwy 191 for a bit----but not for long----as we turned East again on a dirt road
to what would turn out to be our kind of heaven.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #5710
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Eventually,

we turned on Chain Buttes; we were following the curve of Fort Peck Lake, the shores of which were about 2 miles to our left.

then things started to get a little more interesting...

Schwing!

and this STILL wasn't the best part!
Old 10-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #5711
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post

and this STILL wasn't the best part!
Let's go back Dr. Rock !!!

BigDog----(sitting in his oh so comfy Kermit chair)
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #5712
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

up and down

snaking around,

it was like riding a roller coaster.

We were heading south, dropped down off the "Chain Buttes" ridge, crossed the Sacagawea River (dry), and climbed back up the next ridge, now heading west.

the hills and curves spread out again,

and we were just smiling...

We picked up a bigger road, headed south for a mile or two, and then turned left on the next ridge... Dunn Ridge road. THIS was the best!
Old 10-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #5713
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Dunn Ridge road

I'm not sure I'll be able to adequately convey how supremely awesome this stretch was.

Couldn't have been more than 20 miles, took us a bit over an hour.

And I would go back and ride it again and again in a hearbeat.

Started out fairly tame,

and never was particularly technically demanding,

The views were great,

though I wouldn't say mind-blowingly spectacular,

So what was it about Dunn Ridge Road that made it stand out as one of the best sections I've ever ridden?
Old 10-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #5714
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Stuff like this!

twists and turns,

dips and rises...

and everything was blind -- you couldn't see over the hills, or around the curves, and the surface begged you to push the speed just past your safe sightline.

Meanwhile, you would catch glimpses of the person riding in front of you and you'd say to yourself -- Did I miss a turn? 'cause I can't fathom how the road I'm on connects to where they are!

And at times, the ridge was like a razor's edge... and there were all these cool hoodoos

and eroded formations,

and man... I wanna go back!
Old 10-26-2012, 08:40 AM   #5715
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This video

is a perfect snippet of why Dunn Ridge Road is so awesome (click here to watch bigger and in 1080p):

DR. Rock screwed with this post 10-26-2012 at 08:46 AM