A couple more....

2011 West Coast Swing | 2012 Trekking Baja and Copper Canyon
SoosCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #5883
RiderJones
sketchy

Oddometer: 263
January Party?

Somewhere in the depths of one of your epic Ride Reports I seem to remember reading that you are in the habit of throwing an ADV party in late January....is there one this coming January?
I am going to be in NYC from Jan 26th - 31st (2013) I also noticed that I missed your visit to my neck o' the woods..(Nelson BC) last year... hope you had a nice stay!
RiderJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #5884
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
I'm back. Wow!

Three pages later...

Next day's worth of my photos are uploading, and while I wait for that, to continue picking up where I left off, I'll take some time to read the intervening 3 pages, and answer questions, and jot down some commentary.

"Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone."
-Joni Mitchell

Well, personally what I had that I didn't realize now that it's gone, is time. I used to be busy; work, home, friends, ... yet somehow managed to process photos, write ride reports, and plan trips, pretty much to my heart's content. No more.

Since Sandy, I've lost access to my office, work computers, internet access, and discretionary time. I now work harder, longer, and accomplish far less in the same amount of time. Efficiency, I guess. That's what I've lost. It's like being a farmer, losing the tractor, and having to plow using the horses. I never realized how much goof-off time I actually had at work 'till now.

Things are not yet back to normal, but getting better, as they always eventually do. Thanks for being patient (or maybe not... I'll have to read the last three pages ).

It's good to be back. And the next day's photos I just processed reminded me that Sept. 15th was pretty much an absolutely perfect day of riding.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #5885
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

MT43 Pirelli trials rear tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoDeano View Post
Hey, Doc is Francine running a Trials tire on Blue? Reno Deano
Yep, we both were. MT43's. Great traction in anything dry, decent wear, cheap. That said, we're going back to MT21's -- they seem to last two Mobius trips, and the MT43's last 1.5, which is just inconvenient.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 12-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #5886
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZman671 View Post
Question for all the Mobius riders - not just the big bike guy.

How were all of you handling the soft sand?

Lotza right hand into it and keep the speed up or some other method?

If you did it with speed about what speed did you attack sand like shown?
The most common advice I hear about riding sand is "when in doubt, throttle out". But that's just part of the story. If you accelerate every time it gets squirrly, yeah, you'll stay stable until you don't, and then you're gonna crash at a high velocity which hurts even in sand.

The best advice I've heard is "Keep the rear wheel driving", and couple that with "Scrub speed when you can -- accelerate when you have to."

Smooth is fast.

I've never found sand to be particularly difficult, just tedious, requiring high concentration, and finesse with throttle control.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #5887
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Thanks, Wayne!

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlesw View Post
My daughter and I are enjoying your trips, this really is spectacular.

I'm sure you posted this information somewhere, just can't remember. What software are you using for the routing, mapping and elevation. Also, what GPS model.

Thanks and keep it up!

Wayne C.
Routing done on Benchmark atlases, Garmin Basecamp for Mac, Garmin 24K and 2008 (100K) topos, various free topos, GoogleEarth satellite images, and local intel from generous inmates. I'm using the Montana, LDF has the 76Cx. BigDog & Dingweeds were running the 270's, I believe.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #5888
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

January ADV party

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderJones View Post
Somewhere in the depths of one of your epic Ride Reports I seem to remember reading that you are in the habit of throwing an ADV party in late January....is there one this coming January?
I am going to be in NYC from Jan 26th - 31st (2013) I also noticed that I missed your visit to my neck o' the woods..(Nelson BC) last year... hope you had a nice stay!
YES! We host a party for wayward ADV inmates who go to the Javits center for the International Motorcycle show in NYC, this year on January 19th. Y'all are invited, and RiderJones, if you're around the 26th-30th, you can help clean up and we can polish off any left over booze. Shoot a PM when we get closer and we'll get together.

We had a great time in BC... can't wait to get back someday and conquer Telkwa Pass!
Old 12-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #5889
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Guys, thanks

... for the photos and the commentary, and for keeping the RR moving along. We're almost at the shortest day of the year, and it's hard to remember what a great trip it was, but your photos are bringing me right back. My photos are slowly uploading from home. I sure miss that university T1 backbone.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #5890
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 839
Glad to hear from you

The M10 crew have kept us happy during your involuntary hiatus. It's nice to have you back. We are hibernating here in the Great Whit North so having a regular dose of Mobius helps get us through.
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #5891
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Glad your back Doc!!!!
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #5892
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingWeed View Post
Glad your back Doc!!!!
And the check is in the mail.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #5893
RiderJones
sketchy

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
YES! We host a party for wayward ADV inmates who go to the Javits center for the International Motorcycle show in NYC, this year on January 19th. Y'all are invited, and RiderJones, if you're around the 26th-30th, you can help clean up and we can polish off any left over booze. Shoot a PM when we get closer and we'll get together.

We had a great time in BC... can't wait to get back someday and conquer Telkwa Pass!
Hey Dr.Rock... Telkwa Pass !? ... soooo many great rides in BC. Every summer my buddy and I do ten days of moto-camping, trying to touch as little pavement as possible. We've stayed in the lower half of the province so far and have seen some amazing sights. Up north is a whole 'nuther level of awesome.
It pains me to realize that I will miss your inmate bash on the 19th, but may take you up on yer offer for some sort of beverage meet-up between Jan 26th-31st.... mutual scheds permitting. Thanks! We are hitting up a trade show at the Javits ... but unfortunately this one has NO motorcycles. Luckily I end up being a liability to my wife as she meets business contacts etc., so am often encouraged to take the day off and bum around the city. I tend to balance my time between good and evil, hanging out at the Met, etc., then as soon as it seems civilized, make my way to the White Horse, followed by a re-cap of the day and burgers at the Spotted Pig. (I dream about those damn burgers, and I'm not even a big meat eater) We are staying in the West Village this time, so it is conveniently close to my fave watering holes.
RiderJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #5894
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

M10, Day 8: Sat, Sept. 15, 2012

I was really looking forward to today's route. I'd plotted a few trails that I really wasn't sure would go through, but if they did, I had a suspicion they'd be really good stuff. We woke up to a smokey haze, that nearly obscured the sun: This photo is taken directly into the sun. It was like an eclipse.

We had our ritual breakfast, and had wheels rolling early. A short stretch of Hwy 14 (had we continued, we'd have been at Burgess junction in about 30 minutes ) instead we'd take about 6h. Then some straight ranch roads heading northwest.

skip to the 2:00min mark to see some real cowboys.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #5895
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We were

skirting the northeast side of Bighorn NF with the objective of traversing the range at the northernmost crossing -- Marble Quarry road to Sheep Mountain road. We ran into some rough patches getting there,

Ranchland. It was good, and we weren't even to the stuff I was looking forward to.

Pure evil... "Send her ahead as a sacrifice."

Bad dog!